Username: Password:

Author Topic: Washburn B19?  (Read 10878 times)

Offline frostbyte

• View Profile
Washburn B19?
« on: May 11, 2004, 06:14:34 PM »
Did Washburn ever make a B19 Banjo? A local yocal has one for sale for 835.00

Offline Intrinsic1

• View Profile
Washburn B19?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2004, 11:48:29 PM »
Yes, Frostbite. They did make a B-19 for a short while. I got mine around 1989. I sold it in '95. I've only seen two others since then and I've been kicking myself ever since. It had everything the B-16 has and more. I believe the ring was heavier--(heaviest banjo I ever lifted!) The headstock laquer was more than 1/8 thick--(I know because I chipped mine.) And the head was a clear, tight, drum-like acrylic something. You couldn't look at it from any angle without being struck by it's beauty. It resonated so loud you could hear it without mikes in a medium sized auditorium (500 seat) The $835 price is what mine cost me 15 years ago in mint condition.

Offline rlumber

• View Profile
Washburn B19?
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2005, 10:21:42 PM »
I was searching for info on the banjo I just purchased.  I found a thread where you had responded regarding a B-19.  I bought one this weekend.  Serial number 88011.  I'm looking for any original literature or specs.  Do you know where I can find any info?

I'm pretty new to banjo's, playing only for about a year on a used Hondo.  The difference between the Hondo and the B19 is amazing.  The sound from the B19 has tremendous body and volume.

Anything you can tell me would is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Ross
RLumber

Offline Peter Davey

• View Profile
Washburn B19?
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2005, 04:32:35 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by Intrinsic1

Yes, Frostbite. They did make a B-19 for a short while. I got mine around 1989. I sold it in '95. I've only seen two others since then and I've been kicking myself ever since. It had everything the B-16 has and more. I believe the ring was heavier--(heaviest banjo I ever lifted!) The headstock laquer was more than 1/8 thick--(I know because I chipped mine.) And the head was a clear, tight, drum-like acrylic something. You couldn't look at it from any angle without being struck by it's beauty. It resonated so loud you could hear it without mikes in a medium sized auditorium (500 seat) The $835 price is what mine cost me 15 years ago in mint condition.

Offline Peter Davey

• View Profile
Washburn B19?
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2005, 04:42:30 AM »
Frostbite, Intrinsic and Rlumber, Hi,
I was interested in your discussion on the Washburn d-19. I too purchased one some years ago and pondered taking up weightlifting to manage the thing. I also have a Wildwood Soloist I purchased whilst in the US in 1982. I live in Australia. I was doing a bit of surfing as I wish to insure my instruments and was looking for an idea of their value. They are both in excellent condition. I would appreciate some assistance as there are not many of either in Australia. I have never seen another Soloist here and when I purchased it Wildwood told me it would be the first one in Australia. Many thanks for any advice you can give me.
Peter Davey

Offline DelRioRoy

• View Profile
Washburn B19?
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2006, 08:24:51 PM »
The last B-19 I saw on eBay was in March 2006.  It sold for $404.00.
I hesitated to continue bidding for it--noe regret it.  I ended up buying a very heavy B-16.

Offline brad347

• View Profile
Washburn B19?
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2007, 08:10:56 AM »
I have a B-19 for sale now.  I hate to let it go but I just had to have this guitar I saw yesterday so now I've gotta make some sacrifices

Gorgeous flame maple resonator, elaborate carving in the neck, wonderful fit and finish. VERY HEAVY instrument, ridiculously heavy tone ring and flange. All original except a new bone nut because I didn't care for the way the old one was slotted, and a compensated grover bridge. These were hella-fied expensive at one time. This thread is the only hint of their value I've found online.  If interested, PM me or check the classifieds.  $835 sounds fair, but I will entertain offers.

I hate calling things mint or near mint, but I'm hard-pressed to find any flaws on this instrument.  It comes with the original hardshell case.  Email jazzguitarist at hotmail dot com if anyone is interested

Offline CLIFF

• View Profile
Washburn B19?
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2008, 08:27:45 PM »
I have a b19 forssale on ebay.I had to replace tha drum head.I could not find a clear head,don't know if that was made just for the b19??other than that it is like new.
jupe3@verizon.net