Username: Password:

Author Topic: Replacing Endpin with Strap Button... HOW?  (Read 1745 times)

Offline 1 Cal

• View Profile
Replacing Endpin with Strap Button... HOW?
« on: August 21, 2007, 06:39:39 PM »
HELP PLEASE! What would you recommend as the best/easiest way to replace an endpin with a strap button?  I have very few tools (barring the auto sort) and my workbench is normally the kitchen counter.

I want to do this to match the plain chromed strap button I had installed on the neck heel when I got my guitar.  I find that straps fit easier on buttons than on end pins... and of course the buttons tend not to drop out either. [}:)]

Cal___________
Washburn D13S
Cal___________
Washburn D13S
Washburn R308S

Offline Dreadman

• View Profile
    • G-Tech Guitar Works
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2007, 07:18:18 PM »
If it were me I'd make a tapered wood plug from mahogany (to match the end block wood) and glue it in. Then drill a pilot hole for the screw and use a felt washer under the chrome button to hide the plug.

Short of that you could buy a wood end pin that fits well and cut the end off, then glue that in. I doubt it makes much difference in this application but theoretically you should use the same or similar wood as the end block so shrinkage/expansion doesn't cause a problem.

Dreadman
my guitars
Dreadman

The easiest way to make people believe you are a good man is to be a good man.

Offline 1 Cal

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2007, 07:47:12 PM »
Many thanks Dreadman!  [:D]

I was kinda' hoping you would reply.  You always explain things in such a user friendly way.  [8D]

Cal___________
Washburn D13S
Cal___________
Washburn D13S
Washburn R308S

Offline 1 Cal

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2007, 08:07:43 PM »
Hey Shiner

Thanks for that.  That's an interesting idea and it's always great to have as many options available as possible.

(These days I tend to consider all my options before jumping [lessons learned owing to several marriages/relationships where I didn't [:I]].)

Cal___________
Washburn D13S
Cal___________
Washburn D13S
Washburn R308S

Offline Dreadman

• View Profile
    • G-Tech Guitar Works
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2007, 08:50:47 PM »
You're welcome Cal.

Both are good options. It comes down to whether you'd be more comfortable drilling out your endpin hole or sawing the head off of a wood pin. I'm sure one or the other is within the realm of Cal's Kitchen Counter Workshop.

Dreadman
my guitars
Dreadman

The easiest way to make people believe you are a good man is to be a good man.