Username: Password:

Author Topic: "Other Bass"  (Read 1680 times)

Offline Chin-the

• View Profile
"Other Bass"
« on: May 20, 2004, 07:52:52 AM »

This is a follow-up to my message yesterday.
The other bass is a four string with P and J ivory color pickups, tobacco sunburst finish, three piece neck through with through the body stringing, brass nut and bridge, dual tone and volume controls and a three position toggle switch.  I contacted Washburn it about once before, but there seemed to be some real confusion about the serial number, 812595, as it indicated that the axe was a six string guitar or some such thing. The speculation then was that it might have been a custom instrument that was rejected by the requester, or that it was a prototype that never went into production.  Knowing what I now know, it would appear to have been made in 1981, which is consistent with the fact that I purchased it new in 1982.  Any further info that any of you might have would be great!
Thanks for your help thus far, I really appreciate it!
Peace

Offline Fourstring

• View Profile
    • http://groups.msn.com/TheManyFacetsofPoindexter
"Other Bass"
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2004, 11:01:19 AM »
Is this a fender style bass...like a jazz or p-bass?  It sounds like you  have the prototype of the Force 8 series.  The ivory pickups were the early stock pick ups if I'm correct.  Does it have Washburn written out on the headstock with the W underlined!??!  Hmmm a 3 position toggle switch...not independant control knobs.  That's an early electric Washburn feature for sure. Is there a maple neck with cream binding too?  Man, they sure could build em back then.  what kind of inlay is on the instrument..is it dots or blocks?  I've only seen dots on the older Washburns.  This is so great.  you have to post a picture.

what do I think about when i play?  Left finger, right finger, left finger, thumb...Doh!

http://www.freetimes.com/index.php?module=FormExpress&func=display_form&form_id=11

GO here to vote for me as Best Bassist in the Cleveland Free Times Music Awards!!!

Offline Accept2

• View Profile
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/accept2/sets/72157601034910181/
"Other Bass"
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2004, 12:25:42 PM »
Sounds like a Wing Series bass, the first bass models made by Washburn..............

Offline Chin-the

• View Profile
"Other Bass"
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2004, 08:39:55 AM »

Let me provide some additional and, hopefully, better info.
Starting at the top:
The head is similar to that on the B-200,,i.e. a tapered rectangle with two over two stringing.  Washburn is written across the top in stylized gold lettering, with an gold underline that drops to a point in the center.  The tuners are the basic elephant ear, exposed gear with very large posts.
The neck is a three piece, narrow dark wood flanked on both sides by lighter, finished the same as the body, with a rosewood fingerboard, and is  through the body construction.  It has a brass nut and either MOP or ivoroid dots, which are medium sized and centered on the frets, except for the twelfth, which has two.  The neck has a slight radius, is medium width and fairly shallow.
The body is deeply carved at the juncture and also on the upper bout.  The upper horn is extended, and the strap post is on the underside (inside?) facing the neck.  The color is a tobacco sunburst, with very visible graining on both wings.
The PUs we have talked about.
The bridge is four individual brass blocks, with both vertival and horizontal adjustment screws.  The stringing is through the body.
There are two volume controls and two tone controls knobs, which are clear, numbered from 1-10 and have a gold base.  There is also a three position toggle switch.
Because of the neck through construction, the bass has great natural resonance, and is remarkably clear toned.  With the tone settings at neutral, it does not have a formidable bottom, but that is easily overcome through the amp settings.
This is probably more than you either wanted or needed to know, but is wonderful to find some kindred souls.  I will borrow a digital camera and get some photos to post.
Some day we'll discuss the rest of my collection.
Again, my thanks!
Peace to All

Offline Mel

• View Profile
"Other Bass"
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2004, 04:37:42 AM »
Hi Chin-The,
email me at
mlagana@picknowl.com.au
 as I think that my guitar is exactly the same as yours.I will email you some pics to confirm this.Sorry that I can't place these pics on this forum  as  I am not sure how to do this at this stage.If our guitars are the same, we can both investigate the status of our guitars.
Cheers Mel.