Username: Password:

Author Topic: Is there a "Luthier School"  (Read 10289 times)

Offline YerDugliness

• Pearl, TX jams at: www.pearlbluegrass.com/
    • View Profile
Is there a "Luthier School"
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2007, 11:46:45 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Dreadman

Invader GT, Aztec, Valkyrie........ I don't know jack about any of them but I sure like the way they look. Have you built anything yet? If so I demand pics. [:D]

Dreadman
my guitars

Not one of my own, but I've helped others.  The Factory Five is a great race car but doesn't look very period correct and it takes an incredibly long time to build.  The Invader, Aztec, Valkyrie are all classics but no longer in production.

Here are a couple of links to current kits:

www.RACECARREPLICAS.COM   (my choice for the GT40, but check out their other offerings, too--over the top!)

http://www.hurricane-motorsports.com/    (inexpensive Cobra replica, all new parts, very accurate and easy to build)

I've got lots more-been following the kit car industry since the early 1970's, when I saw a Valkyrie on a used car lot in Denver and fell in love with the mid-engine design--it was a close, but no frijoles GT40 replica.

Retirement looms before the end of 2007, then all I have is time on my hands.  My daughter is 23 and still on the family payroll, but that ends when I retire.  I think the first will be the Hurricane--easy to build and very reasonable price.

There WILL be time for woodworking, though, and of course for playing my Washburn.  

Dugly [8D]

YerDugliness, Esq./Post No Bills

The crew:
Washburn WD32S
Yamaha G231-II
Yamaha G60A
A Hohner classical I left in SW KS.
Epiphone Dot '63 ES335 Repop
Ibanez RX20
A cheap Circle K banjo I play when feelin' funky
YerDugliness,Esq./Post No Bills
Guitar Playin' FOOL, attempting to age disgracefully!
Washburns:WD32SW,D61SW,D62SW,C124SWK,
WMJ21S(2),WGO26SCE,WSJ60SKELITE,WG26S (2).
Other fine acoustics:Breedlove custom shop 000,Hippner #506 Hauser,Takamini 2005 LTD,Epi Masterbilt AJ500RC

Offline sad_fingers

• View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/billatheadhugger/index.html
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2007, 04:59:08 AM »
This has got me thinking and I have done a search in my area for courses which I found[:D] Only problem now is Trying to do the course with work.[:(]

My Family

Washburn D10SCE
Wesley EL300wh
Washburn EA16 (A Phoenix risen from the ashes. )
-------------------------------

learning a riff or chords is quite easy as long as your fingers hit the right strings!!!!!!!!!!
My gear

Vox 30wat amp
Washburn D10SCE
Washburn W166 Pro
Boss BR-600 Multi Track

The way to learn to do things is to do things.

- Benjamin Franklin

Offline millenium

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2007, 06:53:13 AM »
Yes I know one luthier school in Québec Limoilou on the 3e avenue... But it's in french !!!
yan
millenium
ANOTHER PROUD MEMBER OF THE MILLENIUM BRIGADE

Offline KarmaKing

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2007, 07:47:35 AM »
This thread is awesome!  I am quite a woodworking hobbyist myself and love it.

Does anyone have any links for Eroupe schools?
Proud Member of The European Jam Group:)) (3 members so far)
Washburn D46SCE(http://www.washburn.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=7692)
25yr old East German Classical

Offline YerDugliness

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2007, 09:12:49 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by millenium

Yes I know one luthier school in Québec Limoilou on the 3e avenue... But it's in french !!!

yan
millenium
ANOTHER PROUD MEMBER OF THE MILLENIUM BRIGADE

Yan, I read this thread 3 or 4 times before I got the courage to relate this true story from my college days:

Sophomore means wise fool, and I surely was one when I was a sophomore in college.  I was working on a BS degree and a requirement was a foreign language, so I enrolled in a French class.  I've always loved the sensuous nature of the language.  But, being a wise fool, I decided on the first day of class that there really wasn't much reason to attend, b/c the professor would most likely be telling us what book to buy--I could get the book from the book store so I didn't need to go.  The second day of class came and I figured the professor would be discussing the scope of the class and going over the syllabus, not too important so I didn't need to go.  The 3rd class day I found some other reason not to go.  By the time I made my grand entrance on the 4th day of class, I walked in late and the class was already conjugating verbs.  I walked right out and dropped the class.

Had I been less of a wise fool, who knows, I might have been able to take advantage of your source.

I finally did get my foreign language requirement--it took me 3 semesters to pass 2 college Spanish classes, but in the end I persevered and moved on.

Dugly  [:I]

The crew:
Washburn WD32S
Yamaha G231-II
Yamaha G60A
Ibanez RX20
Other fine acoustics:Breedlove custom shop 000,Hippner #506 Hauser,Takamini 2005 LTD,Epi Masterbilt AJ500RC

Offline PAPPY

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2007, 09:50:38 AM »
quote:
I was working on a BS degree and a requirement was a foreign language

Shucks you should have chosen English and your foreign language.

Sharmon
Please don't squeeze my Sharmon
My Kimmie
Friends Are Cherished
Sharmon
Please don't squeeze my Sharmon
KimmieFriends Are Cherished

Offline YerDugliness

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2007, 11:26:24 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by Rocket

quote:
Originally posted by YerDugliness

Sophomore means wise fool

I don't know where you took your Latin at but wise fool is: sapiens fossor. Sapiens literally means wise, as in homo sapiens sapiens literally means man double wise.

Sophomore is a combined form of sophism morium in which morium means way or way of.

Sophism was a philosophy that started around the fifth century B.C. and was made famous by Plato, Aristotle, and Aristophanes. Sophists were looked down upon, by these three, as teaching anything for a price. Their teaching was practical instead of ethical and they emphasized rhetoric rather than virtue. In The Clouds, Aristophanes mocks the sophistry of Socrates, who is elsewhere not critiqued as a sophist. Sophism was thought capable of perverting the truth because the sophists taught students to argue any side of an issue. Despite the detractors, for a short time, sophism was well paid and regarded, and sophists held certain civic privileges.

Literally, sophomore means: Sophism way or way of sophism.

Thus ends, yet another, Latin lesson for the Barbarians!

This barbarian thanks you for correcting a lifelong mistake--what little Latin I had came at the hands of my high school English teacher, including this error.

All in all, I guess the only claim I can make is to having been a fool, but I'll cop to that one gladly!  [:D]

Dugly [8D]

The crew:
Washburn WD32S
Yamaha G231-II
Yamaha G60A
Ibanez RX20

Offline YerDugliness

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2007, 12:40:11 PM »
Believe me, Rocket man, I never take anything personally on this forum--too many great members and good fellowship.

Anyway, it's been said that the true sign of happiness is being able to poke fun at oneself, and I surely can do that.

Dugly

The crew:
Washburn WD32S
Yamaha G231-II
Yamaha G60A
Ibanez RX20

Offline gregjones

• Perpetual Beginner
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2007, 04:33:21 PM »
Hey Dugly........

Hot rods, Kayaks & Guitars

Slap a 351 into this puppy and ya got 'em all licked.

[:D]

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got eight strings.
If it's got tuners, tits, or tires----it's gonna cost you.

"There are no wrong notes, only advanced harmonies." - Frank Zappa

Offline YerDugliness

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2007, 05:00:27 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by gregjones

Hey Dugly........

Hot rods, Kayaks & Guitars

Slap a 351 into this puppy and ya got 'em all licked.

[:D]

[^][^][^]

LMAO!!!!!!!!!

Dugly  [:D]

The crew:
Washburn WD32S
Yamaha G231-II
Yamaha G60A
Ibanez RX20

Offline sad_fingers

• View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/billatheadhugger/index.html
« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2007, 06:01:55 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by KarmaKing

This thread is awesome!  I am quite a woodworking hobbyist myself and love it.

Does anyone have any links for Eroupe schools?

Washburn D46SCE(http://www.washburn.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=7692)
25yr old East German Classical
Proud Member of The European Jam Group:)) (3 members so far)

I found what I wanted here.

http://buildyourguitar.com/resources/schools.htm

I decided to take up a course at a local college they do a one year course two days per week and a two year course one day a week. I hope the one year course is on days I can do it????

Will keep you guys updated.....

My Family

Washburn D10SCE
Wesley EL300wh
Washburn EA16 (A Phoenix risen from the ashes. )

learning a riff or chords is quite easy as long as your fingers hit the right strings!!!!!!!!!!
My gear

Vox 30wat amp
Washburn D10SCE
Washburn W166 Pro
Boss BR-600 Multi Track

The way to learn to do things is to do things.

- Benjamin Franklin

Offline Fretless Johnny

• View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/bessitis
« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2007, 04:42:28 PM »
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by YerDugliness

Sophomore means wise fool

I don't know where you took your Latin at but wise fool is: sapiens fossor. Sapiens literally means wise, as in homo sapiens sapiens literally means man double wise.

Sophomore is a combined form of sophism morium in which morium means way or way of.

Literally, sophomore means: Sophism way or way of sophism.

Um, Rocket Buddy, before you go giving high-toned lectures you may want to understand the subject.  Sophomore is a Greek word, not Latin, just as all of the philosophers you mention are Greek, not Latin.  Greek culture, language, and therefore thought, predates Roman culture by centuries.  The root of the word is Sophia, the ancient Greek word for wisdom.  I can't remember the second half off the top of my head, but it is widely understood that the sub root of Sophia is soph, wise.  I know this not because I looked it up in a translation dictionary, but because much of my graduate work was in classical rhetoric, requiring me to develop a basic, barbarous if you will, ability with the language.  

Your definition of the Sophists is a great, if devoid of the most important elements, starting point for understanding Greek thought in the time of the Ancients.  Indeed Sophists were travelling teachers who taught not just anything but rhetoric, the ability to persuade through oral communication, which later became writing, which is now digital media, for which we still study and apply the principles of classical rhetoric.  

Now, every male member of the city of Athens, the center of Greek culture and rule, drew lots each year to serve on the senate.  If you could not speak well and defend/support a decision, you were ineffective in leading your ward. Thus citizens were encouraged to learn to speak well.  Enter the sophists, philosophers (though they wouldn't use that term) who studied the art of communication. This education led to a commodity, intellectual property if you will, that other citizens would pay money for.  This then turned into the professionalization of representation, yes the lawyer.  Or in the case of Greek and Roman life, a rhetor, one who would argue your case in court for a fee.  How did he learn this skill, one that made him so much money and gave him so much political influence?  By studying rhetoric with a Sophist, or later on with a Philosopher such as Plato.  

Beyond communication and the court room, Sophism is an epistemological stance.  It is the opposite of Plato's Truth with a capital T.  A concrete, black and white Truth that we must adhere to. This makes truth into knowledge.  Knowledge can be bought and sold.  Sophists believed, and taught, that truth is conditional and can only be reached through dialectical engagement.  If you come from a part of the world that is always hot, 90 degrees is nothing to you.  It is not hot in your sense of the world.  Now if you meet someone from the arctic, they will think 90 degrees is pretty damn hot.  That doesn't make them right or you wrong.  You both have your own sense of reality.  But what if you need to decide, in order to survive, what hot really is.  You have to work it through and come to an agreement of what hot can be for both of you.  Thus you have just established a new sense of truth in how you both perceive hot.

Sophist means one who practices wisdom.  It is a practical, pragmatic art, but it is the art of acquiring wisdom.  It was denegrated by Philosphers (which means lover of knowledge...philo being knowledge).  So it was a question of whether to study wisdom or knowledge. Interesting note, the word sophia predates the word philo and originally stood for both wisdom and knowledge as one entity...however a second word had to be later invented...why?  It is a metaphsyical question tied to the paragon of Greek virtues: Know Thy Self.

Of course there were a bunch of arguments that the study of rhetoric was like cookery, not a real art, but in the end Plato turns out to be a great rhetor and his master, Socrates, is put to death for corrupting the young.  The exact thing he blamed sophism of.  

So what is the true lesson of Sophism, Rocket?  

FJ
Washburn RO1 Rover
Ibanez AJ200-EVE
Ibanez AF86
Kaman Acoustic Bass
Palatino Upright Bass
'71 Fretless P-Bass
'71 Fretted P-Bass
'06 Highway 1 P-Bass

Offline gregjones

• Perpetual Beginner
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2007, 05:17:38 PM »
Oh........crap.[;)]

[:o)]

Offline gregjones

• Perpetual Beginner
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 25, 2007, 06:15:13 PM »
Oh yeah......I forgot that you forgot it.[:D]

Like Grace said-----doesn't mean...........to a tree on a guitar forum.

Good thing we aren't language art buckoos or we'd chain you up and drag you across the coals.  At least.

[:I]

Offline gregjones

• Perpetual Beginner
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 25, 2007, 08:43:56 PM »
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by gregjones

Like Grace said-----doesn't mean...........to a tree on a guitar forum.

I must be really slow lately... I don't understand anything you post.

Not you--I was just trying to slip it past the censors.[8D]

You know well what Grace Slick sang---It doesn't mean s**t to a tree.

All in all, getting to the fact that a multiparagraph response to a Greek/Latin blunder means about that much to a guitar forum.[;)]

Edit:  Put it in there and you have the actual Gracie quote.

« Last Edit: August 25, 2007, 08:46:05 PM by gregjones »