Username: Password:

Author Topic: ANOTHER... Washburn R308S!  (Read 2856 times)

Offline 1 Cal

• View Profile
ANOTHER... Washburn R308S!
« on: September 10, 2007, 05:02:07 PM »
Well... I promised myself I'd really be able to play my D13S well before I considered another guitar.

GAS
I saw that pretty little R308S Parlor Guitar second time round in Christina's thread.  It got the better of me.  I HAD to have it. [}:)]
The baby arrived today! [:D][:D][:D]

QUESTION FOR WILY
What strings are you using on yours Wily?  EJ16's or something different?  These Vinci's sound like hell (hey no, that might be a compliment!).

OBSERVATIONS
I certainly like the little guitar.  (Very different from the dreadnought which I love dearly.)  I now remember that my D13S sounded NOTHING like it does now one year ago when I got it; it's opened up a HUGE amount, helped by lots of TLC thanks to the great advice I've had from you great guys on the forum.

I really like the V neck.  Once I've changed the strings and gotten used to it a bit... it'll be a bone saddle.  Like Wily said the coffin case is brilliant (outside now cleaned and 303'd).
Just HAD to tell y'all.  [:)]
Cal___________
Washburn D13S
Washburn R308S

Offline Pike

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2007, 10:31:14 PM »
Very cool Cal, congrats! Say, what's 303'd?

Offline Pike

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2007, 11:10:04 PM »
Aha. Thanks Rocket.

Offline onewilyfool

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2007, 11:18:18 PM »
Hey Cal....congradulations.....was playing mine last night, a little Malted Milk Blues, a little Black BIrd, the song Wandering James Taylor version........all sounded great on that little beast. I use EJ16's too.....12 guage.....Sounds great.....I have also had XP's on and they were good too, but took 3 weeks to scrub them in, till they sounded good. Cal...hope you have HOURS of fun.....

Offline onewilyfool

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2007, 11:20:17 PM »
Oh Cal....forgot to mention.....I traded out the plastic Bridge pins for ebony ones......I think it really perks up the sound......

Offline CHRISTINA SMITH

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2007, 11:39:51 PM »
Cal,
Congrats...to us both.[:D] Sorry I made ya spend money but, it is so worth it Isn't it?[:)]I hope you enjoy her.

I also got a B-52. Who knew you could be in love with two guitars at one time.[;)]

Christina

Offline onewilyfool

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2007, 01:04:15 PM »
Cal....you now have one of only 48 ever made and likely to EVER be made. That is pretty unique in the world of guitars. Christina's is #35, mine is #15....what is YOURS???? I just love the oldtime sound of this guitar. I don't know about yours, but the sustain on mine is amazing. Especially the low E string, even when I play the G chord on it, it goes on and on.....like the energizer bunny.....hope you have hours of fun. I got mine to play blues exclusively, BUT I find I do a lot of finger style stuff.....everything....great little guitar

Offline onewilyfool

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2007, 01:06:59 PM »
Oh..Cal...I think it ALREADY has a bone saddle....and nut.....bones are cheap in the orient....lol

Offline 1 Cal

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2007, 02:55:23 PM »
Many thanks for all the congratulations folks, appreciated. [:D]

Pike
Rocket's nailed it again. I use 303 Aerospace Protectant mostly on my car for all the rubber, plastic, vinyl and leather.  What I like about it is (not only the protection, but) the nice non-bling/silk/matt finish it leaves (which is also dust and dirt repellant).  I 303'd the Gator Case I got with my D13S a year ago and it's still looking great (mind you, it's not as if I'm out gigging every night [:I]).

Christina
Hey, you didn't make me spend any money.  I guess I'd sold it to myself before you joined the forum.  It's just that when you joined I realised that I NEEDED that guitar NOW!

Wily
I just put new EJ16's on, thanks.  Wow, what a difference!
Where did you get your ebony bridge pins?  The plastic ones that come with the R308S seem really unusual (to me) in that they are shaped differently at the top and don't seem to have any taper on them.
Guitar #16. [:)]  Looking at the close-up pic of Christina's R308S I'm surprised at the radical difference between our tops... the grain in mine is VERY tight and the color very dark in comparison.
While changing the strings I removed the saddle and chucked out the usual debris, i.e. variously shaped plastic oddments AKA spacers.  The saddle is plastic.  If you feel round the ends of it with your non-callused fingers you'll feel the mold ridge.

Gee!  That's probably the longest post I've ever made.  [:0]
Cal___________
Washburn D13S
Washburn R308S

Offline 1 Cal

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2007, 07:43:19 PM »
Hey Wily

I see what you mean about the fun it is playing this little guitar.  Since I posted last I've hardly put it down.

The dreadnought (like any stately lady) sounds totally wonderful through her whole range and can be lovingly sweet or sourly bitchy as she chooses.

This parlor is a child (and a tomboy) who only knows about fun, [:D][:D][:D] I love it!
« Last Edit: September 11, 2007, 07:45:42 PM by 1 Cal »
Cal___________
Washburn D13S
Washburn R308S