Username: Password:

Author Topic: Now What Does This Knob Do?  (Read 1965 times)

Offline yknot

• View Profile
Now What Does This Knob Do?
« on: May 28, 2004, 02:54:47 AM »
I bought a new Washburn 5 string about 3 years ago, and just pulled it out for the first time a couple of months ago. It's a XB925? I think. It's got Barts on it, with a finish that looks like plywood, but it's got a neck thats smoother then my last girlfriends ass (thats why I bought it, even though I wasn't playing). I need help figuring  out the controls. It's got 3 single knobs, one double (stacked) knob, and a two position toggle switch. I KNOW that the first knob is vol. I THINK the second is a fader for pickup selection. I can't figure out what the toggle is for (active, passive?). I can't figure out what the stacked knob is for (tone for each pickup?), and I can't figure out what the last knob is (overall tone?). I played extensively for 17 years with a P-Bass I bought new in '77, and just used my fingers to control tone, volume, etc., and now have all these options I haven't been able to figure out. I wasn't able to find anything on Washburn's site, and could use some help.

Offline Fourstring

• View Profile
    • http://groups.msn.com/TheManyFacetsofPoindexter
Now What Does This Knob Do?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2004, 05:07:29 PM »
A highly figured maple top on a genuine swamp ash body, a two piece maple neck with rosewood fingerboard, and Bartolini pickups and electronics, make this model Washburn's top of the line solidbody 5-stringbass.
 Body. Swamp Ash body. Zebra or Bubinga top overlay. Neck/Fingerboard. Neck Scale 34. 24 Frets. Joined at 19th fret. Neck material Maple. Fingerboard radius 14. Rosewood fingerboard. XB Fretwire. Finish. Oil body. Oil neck. Hardware. Takeuchi bridge. Bartolini preamp.  Bartolini 3-Band EQ. Bartolini neck pickups. Bartolini bridge pickup. Football chrome jack plate. Bartolini control knob. Gotoh tuning machine. 5 with taper B strings.

A switch to go between active and passive pick-up, 3 band EQ on board Controls.  Along with the aforementioned switch to go between active and passive, you've got a single volume control, a phase control to balance volume between the 2 pick-ups, a dual stacked bass/treble control and a mid-range knob.

what do I think about when i play?  Left finger, right finger, left finger, thumb...Doh!

http://www.freetimes.com/index.php?module=FormExpress&func=display_form&form_id=11

GO here to vote for me as Best Bassist in the Cleveland Free Times Music Awards!!!