Username: Password:

Author Topic: Looking for a guitar for husband  (Read 28804 times)

Offline vermonter16

• View Profile
Looking for a guitar for husband
« on: September 18, 2007, 09:19:31 AM »
Hello - I just found out the other day that my husband could play the guitar.  Yes, we have been married for six years and I know he mentioned it but I guess I hadn't paid attention.  He picked up a friend's son's guitar over the weekend and just started playing!  It was fantastic!  Everyone started to gather round to listen...

So - I want to buy him one for Christmas.  He did used to have one back in the day but due to some unfortunate circumstances had to sell it.  My husband isn't picky and would probably take anything...  But I want him to have something good!

I'm looking to spend up to $1,000 for something decent.  I know nothing about guitars so I am looking for lots of help.  I was looking at a local music store online to see what they had and these were the brands:

Washburn
Applause
Samick
Ovation
Takamine
Oscar Schmidt
Hohner
Carter Steel
Austin

I know the Washburn brand but haven't heard of any of the others.  I want him to have a good quality sounding guitar that is solid and you don't need to continuously tune.  Also - I need to know other accessories that I would need to start off with.  Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Offline PAPPY

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2007, 09:36:00 AM »
WOW that's a tall order. It really would help if we knew whether he prefers an electric or an acoustic, acoustic/electric guitar.Is there any way you can find out this info.

Sharmon
Please don't squeeze my Sharmon
My Kimmie
Friends Are Cherished
Sharmon
Please don't squeeze my Sharmon
KimmieFriends Are Cherished

Offline vermonter16

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2007, 09:40:09 AM »
I forgot to mention that he would like an acoustic.  Thank you for your help!

Offline millenium

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2007, 09:41:34 AM »
Welcome vermonter.... WOW.... He will be very happy. That is an nice story, I really like those story on this forum. The man will get back to guitar playing and that is a very good thing. Your budget is very considerable, with that amount of money you can have a VERY good guitar. Choosing a guitar for someone else is'nt a easy thing. Would he like an jumbo, because Washburn Cumberland (J28DSL) or Timbercraft (J58SW, J56SW)could be nice guitar be a little bit over 1000. DAVE is a forum member selling guitar, many you could check out with him. Takamine could be also a good choice.

Washburn D46S
Washburn WD32SW
WASHBURN D10SDL (deluxe) that would be a nice guitar comeback I think...

Personnaly, I won't go for an Oscar schmidt...

Some other member will give you suggestion too
GOOD LUCK

and tell us what choice you are going to make
yan
millenium
ANOTHER PROUD MEMBER OF THE MILLENIUM BRIGADE

Offline vermonter16

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2007, 09:45:20 AM »
Well I don't think he will be that picky.  He was content playing that kids guitar!  He is 6'4 and has large hands.  I think if I get a good selection to take a look at and go see them in person I will know better.  I figured you guys know your stuff a heck of a lot better than me!

Offline millenium

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2007, 10:05:41 AM »
I'm the same shape of your man, a little bit taller... But it is sure that if he could try it that would be the best thing, but ain't you want to make him an surprise ??? Sometime model aren't available in guitar store, but they can order it, so don't just limit yourself to what the guy got in store...
yan
millenium

Offline vermonter16

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2007, 10:10:18 AM »
Yeah - I know.  I'm going to search and search the Internet and right now I'm reading up on what makes a sturdy guitar, etc...  Things to look for, things to stay away from...

Offline Drefen

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2007, 10:24:01 AM »
V,

Go over to http://www.rggmusic.com/ and look around.  Dave, the site owner, is a member here and will work with you to pick the best possible model.

Offline donny341

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2007, 10:34:23 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by vermonter16

Yeah - I know.  I'm going to search and search the Internet and right now I'm reading up on what makes a sturdy guitar, etc...  Things to look for, things to stay away from...

Stay away from laminated top...you want a solid wood top, and Spruce is the common choice for a great sounding top. Some laminated bodies are OK, but a solid wood body is a more valued guitar. I can't say it would SOUND better, because some lams, like the J28 sound awesome. I have two, a 6 string and a 12 string. As mentioned by Yan (millenium) the J56SW and the J58SW are great solid wood guitars.

http://www.washburn.com/products/acoustics/jumbos/j56j58.aspx

These are the Timbercraft models. The J56 has solid Rosewood body and the J58 is solid quilted maple. I love the looks of the maple, but love the sound of the Rosewood, so it becomes a choice of what your(his)ear prefers. You may get a good deal from RGGMusic here in the forum, that would be Dave. He was mentioned too. But if you are sure he would not be that choosy, you could save some cash and get a D10SWCE for a lot less money and you would still have a great sounding solid wood all around guitar. Dave will show up soon I am sure and give you some good info on all that is available along with good prices. You need some picks and and maybe a few extra sets of strings...D'Addario EJ16's seems to be the string of choice for many here at the forum. But the D'Addario Flat Tops are making a big dent in those who like them. I like them myself, as does Pappy and a few others. You get less of that string noise (nails on a chalkboard) sound when you move from one chord to another. If you get an acoustic/electric (recommended)he can eventually venture into an acoustic amplifier and need some wires for that also. I have a Fender Acoustisonic 30 that I like very much. But when that time comes, he can shop around for what he likes. Good luck and you will have a happy man there come the Holidays.[:D]
Donny

Some Guitars
9 Tweed Straps
72 gold strap buttons with screws
10 Buffalo horn picks
Multitude of various plastic picks
Broken fingernails when used for fingerpicking
Wrist wraps for those arthuritis fretting moments
Preperation H for those long sitting hours playing guitar
42 various sets of strings
Lizard Spit Guitar Polish
3 polish cloths
Pro winder/cutter
2 plastic winders
Steel and nylon string clippings (I should clean up a bit)
4 wall mount hooks
One bile slice remover tool (for Dreadman)
ton of yuks and smiley faces here
One set beatles albums on Apple label
Various Beatles and Wings 45's
Two Turtle Doves
A Partridge in a Pear Tree

Life is what happens while your busy making other plans

Offline YerDugliness

• Pearl, TX jams at: www.pearlbluegrass.com/
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2007, 10:44:50 AM »
If you are willing to stretch that budget by 20%, you could probably pick up one of Washburn's US handmade models, the D-82SW.  Like others have suggested, check out RGG Music's website and contact the proprietor for excellent advice and a great deal on a new, factory fresh Washburn complete with lifetime warranty.

I played a D-82SW a few weeks ago and have been GASing for one of the handbuilt models ever since.  It sounded sweet and had an action to die for.  IMHO, it would be a lifetime investment--I'll buy one of the handmade models in January and doubt I'll ever get rid of it, much less be able to match the quality for the price.

Good luck!!  BTW--I suspect when he gets this gift, he'll never give a thought to the fact that you didn't listen the first time!!!

If only the 3 ex-Mrs.Duglys had been so smart [}:)] !

Dugly [8D]

YerDugliness, Esq./Post No Bills
Lifelong Audiophile
Guitar Playin' FOOL
Ready to retire and age disgracefully!!!

The crew:
Washburn WD32SW (recently purchased from Just Strum--Many Thanks!!)
Washburn WD32S (soon to receive an under bridge pickup)
Yamaha G231-II
Yamaha G60A
A Hohner classical I left in SW KS.
Epiphone Dot '63 ES335 Repop
Ibanez RX20
A cheap Circle K banjo I play when feelin' funky
YerDugliness,Esq./Post No Bills
Guitar Playin' FOOL, attempting to age disgracefully!
Washburns:WD32SW,D61SW,D62SW,C124SWK,
WMJ21S(2),WGO26SCE,WSJ60SKELITE,WG26S (2).
Other fine acoustics:Breedlove custom shop 000,Hippner #506 Hauser,Takamini 2005 LTD,Epi Masterbilt AJ500RC

Offline millenium

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2007, 11:23:18 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by YerDugliness

If only the 3 ex-Mrs.Duglys had been so smart [}:)] !

He sure is a LUCKY man !!!![:)][;)]
yan
millenium

Offline vermonter16

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2007, 11:30:27 AM »
Thanks all.  I know many men would frown on their woman picking out something as personal as a guitar...  However, I picked him out a pickup truck as a surprise when he got back from the Gulf in 2003 and he absolutely loved it!  Plus I had donated his old one while he was gone...it was really, really bad :)  I'm going online and googling the info so far.  I really appreciate it all!

Offline vermonter16

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2007, 11:44:48 AM »
I gotta get back to work but I just took a look at a couple of the guitars online...  Ok, so I don't know how they sound or feel but I gotta say that the Timbercraft J56SW and J58SW are just gorgeous works of art...wow, I'm slobbering all over my computer :)  Now, I always did want to learn to play and my dad used to have a band and play both acoustic and electric but I never learned...  Incentive for me too :)

Offline vermonter16

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2007, 12:01:00 PM »
One last comment before I don't look at this site for 30 minutes ;).  I just checked out the handmade in the USA guitars on Washburn - the D-82sw!  Yes, it is a bit over my price range as far as the msrp goes but it sure is one nice lookin' piece!

Offline 1 Cal

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2007, 12:10:20 PM »
Hi vermonter16, welcome to the forum! [:D]

Putting myself in your position (which is kinda difficult 'cos I'm male) I'd buy your man a D10SDL.

The D10S is a great guitar that won't be beat by many costing MUCH more.  The D10SDL (Dreadnought, model 10, Solid Top, DeLuxe) is the top of the D10 acoustic line.

Probably about $450 including case.  I'd check with Dave at RGG Music.  A BIG guitar for a BIG man... he'll love it.

Just my opinion and two cents, hope that's some help. [:)]
Cal___________
Washburn D13S
Washburn R308S