Username: Password:

Author Topic: Texas Washies  (Read 90775 times)

Offline Merlin

• View Profile
Texas Washies
« Reply #30 on: November 01, 2007, 09:38:57 PM »
Hey Childbride, that Wildwood flower is fun to play.

Wildwood flower is one of my great accomplishments in my year and 2 months of guitar playing.
When ever I am with my buddies they yell out for me to pick wildwood.

That second part of the song was tricky,  with all of the hammer ons and pull offs.
Good luck with that classic.  I have a good tab for it if you need it.

Offline YerDugliness

• Pearl, TX jams at: www.pearlbluegrass.com/
    • View Profile
Texas Washies
« Reply #31 on: November 02, 2007, 12:15:14 AM »
Looking forward to hearing you do Wildwood Flower, CB.  Will you teach me?

It's one of my favorite songs, yet I've never learned to play it.

See you all there!

Dugly

YerDugliness, Esq./Post No Bills
Lifelong Audiophile
Guitar Playin' FOOL
Ready to retire and age disgracefully!!!

The crew:
Washburn WD32SW and WD32S (WD32S soon to receive an under-bridge pickup)
Epiphone AJ-10 (campfire guitar!!)
Yamaha G231-II and G60A Classical guitars
A Hohner classical I left at a vacation home in SW KS.
Epiphone Dot '63 ES335  Repop, Epiphone Les Paul Custom II
Ibanez RX20
A cheap Circle K banjo I play when feelin' funky
YerDugliness,Esq./Post No Bills
Guitar Playin' FOOL, attempting to age disgracefully!
Washburns:WD32SW,D61SW,D62SW,C124SWK,
WMJ21S(2),WGO26SCE,WSJ60SKELITE,WG26S (2).
Other fine acoustics:Breedlove custom shop 000,Hippner #506 Hauser,Takamini 2005 LTD,Epi Masterbilt AJ500RC

Offline Childbride

• View Profile
Texas Washies
« Reply #32 on: November 02, 2007, 01:43:29 PM »
Merlin:  yes, please, i would very much appreciate seeing the tab!

Dug:  i only know the very first part, but i will show you what i have thus far, and as i get more down, i promise to share  [:)]

2006 Washburn WD55SW Augusta
2006 Washburn J28S12DL
EA20SDL
JR-1 Yamaha
ANOTHER PROUD MEMBER OF THE CUMBERLAND BRIGADE!

Offline Merlin

• View Profile
Texas Washies
« Reply #33 on: November 02, 2007, 02:30:04 PM »
Sorry Childbride, I thought I had it saved on my computer, but I don't.
I found this tab http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/c/carter_family/wildwood_flower_tab.htm and it is almost exactly like my tab.

Here is a neat video of Gillian Welch describing how the Carter's played the melody and lead together in wild wood flower.
click on the Carter scratch http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/amex/carterfamily/sfeature/sf_welch.html
« Last Edit: November 02, 2007, 02:30:49 PM by Merlin »

Offline strumsalot

• View Profile
    • http://mycherishedmoments.com
Texas Washies
« Reply #34 on: November 02, 2007, 05:34:34 PM »
Shiner, CB, Pappy, Dugly...it's gonna be a game-time decision for me and Beppi in the morning. I've been suffering with some flu-like symptoms[xx(] the last few days, but I'm feeling a lot better today. If I still feel better tomorrow, we'll make the trip.

Chad

Offline Childbride

• View Profile
Texas Washies
« Reply #35 on: November 02, 2007, 06:29:45 PM »
Chad, i hope you get to feeling better!  don't push yourself, take care of you and yours first.  we always have next time!

Merlin, that's in the same key i'm learning it in... C.  my teacher says that some people play it in A but the lead is a bit harder that way.  

i'm kinda stoked in that i figured out the second run all by myself this afternoon after playing it over and over.  i'm starting to hear where the song is going.  [:)] i don't have all the 'tricks' down to make it cool [the hammers et al] but i'm getting the basics down for next wed's lesson.

here's for good weather tomorrow, and good company!  [:D]

2006 Washburn J28S12DL
EA20SDL
JR-1 Yamaha

Offline 1 Cal

• View Profile
Texas Washies
« Reply #36 on: November 02, 2007, 08:01:53 PM »
Wildwood Flower... hey, first time I'd heard of it.  [:I]

So I looked it up and that Mother Maybelle Carter plays some mean guitar halfway through this clip.
(Don't all these thumb and finger picks look so cumbersome?  But listening to that [and being a fan of Jerry Douglas] you just can't help but love the music.)

Go CB!
Cal___________
Washburn D13S
Washburn R308S

Offline Childbride

• View Profile
Texas Washies
« Reply #37 on: November 02, 2007, 08:38:32 PM »
geezely pete, Cal, that guy ROCKED!!!  thank you!  shiner and i just watched it in awe.

i'm just still riding my little guitar bicycle with training wheels trying to diligently catch up to all of you.  i love the guitar, it's the first thing i've really done in my entire life just because i wanted to do it.  

it makes me happy.  ;)

thanks again,
k

2006 Washburn J28S12DL
EA20SDL
JR-1 Yamaha

Offline 1 Cal

• View Profile
Texas Washies
« Reply #38 on: November 02, 2007, 09:07:52 PM »
Well CB and Shiner...

I'm a big Alison Krauss fan and Jerry's part of her band Union Station.  I really like her version of James Taylor's Carolina with Jerry.  [^]
Cal___________
Washburn D13S
Washburn R308S

Offline Merlin

• View Profile
Texas Washies
« Reply #39 on: November 03, 2007, 06:26:28 PM »
Right on Cal, Alison Krauss and Union Station are awesome.  Jerry Douglas is the best.  If you pay attention you will see him setting in with a lot of different artist.

Offline 1 Cal

• View Profile
Texas Washies
« Reply #40 on: November 03, 2007, 07:16:53 PM »
Thanks for that Shiner, appreciated!  [:D][:D][:D]

On the Pappy and you shot, is that the Shiner D10S with Shiner Custom Pickguard and Dreadman Tuner Buttons?
« Last Edit: November 03, 2007, 07:19:09 PM by 1 Cal »
Cal___________
Washburn D13S
Washburn R308S

Offline strumsalot

• View Profile
    • http://mycherishedmoments.com
Texas Washies
« Reply #41 on: November 03, 2007, 07:30:44 PM »
Thanks Shiner, I am feeling better, just not up for eight hours of driving today. We'll be there come December, hopefully with a few new guitars in tow. Nice pics...glad y'all had a good time.

Chad

Offline Childbride

• View Profile
Texas Washies
« Reply #42 on: November 03, 2007, 07:38:23 PM »
and i passed a milestone today-- i actually played in front of other people and calmed down.  [:D]  [played badly, but i played]  

we got to meet Dugly's SO, Anna... she's a lovely person.  

i was jazzed the whole drive home.  i'm finally getting over my nerves!

and a big part of it was Pappy... he just kept encouraging me... Pappy, you are good folks, my friend!  

Anna took lots of pics; hopefully we have some more shots in the next couple of days!  [:D]

Chad, hope you get to feeling better!  hope to see you and Beppi next time!

I really enjoyed seeing all of you again, and hope to do this again soon!

2006 Washburn J28S12DL
EA20SDL
JR-1 Yamaha
« Last Edit: November 03, 2007, 07:44:30 PM by Childbride »

Offline piebaldpython

• View Profile
Texas Washies
« Reply #43 on: November 03, 2007, 11:48:18 PM »
Hey Shiner and CB; glad you all had a GREAT time at your JAM Fest.  What an endorphin high that must have been.  Soak up all those good vibes because by this time tomorrow nite, you'll both be cryin' after your GIRLS get drubbed right out of Philly by our misfit IGGLES!!!

Offline PAPPY

• View Profile
Texas Washies
« Reply #44 on: November 04, 2007, 12:11:25 AM »
Kim, I was so proud of you today and it was an honor to sit in a jam with you. Folks this is one courageous woman. I watched her go from a cool,calm, collective person before we got started to a nervous wreck after we started, I mean she was shaking uncontrolably and yet she did the best that she could at that point. Then I watched her reach a point where she wanted to quit but got a determined set in her jaw and slowly began to conquer her nervousness. She fought a great battle and came out victorous at the end. She played Wildwood Flower for us and you bet she made some bobbles a time or two but it was worth my trip over there just to see the way she handled herself during a trying time. WAY TO GO GIRL!!  One of her greatest supporters is the man that calls her Childbride. A little smile at the right time, a whispered word or two of encouragement I think had a lot more to do with her victory today than anything the rest of us might have done. Shiner, your de man, man.You two are a great couple and I have nothing but the greatest respect for the both of you.

Douglas, it was great seeing and playing with you again, I really enjoyed the comradere. Ann it was a pleasure meeting you and I sure wish I could have talked you into singing a couple of songs for us, I think we might have missed a real treat. Hope to see the both of you again soon.

Chad and Beppi, missed you two, it wasn't quiet the same without you. Get well so we can do it again soon.By the way Chad, you remember that little house I built on the Rio Grande last year??? Well today I torn it down by the roots, I mean there's not even a foundation left, I started it four different times and never finished it...man you talk about embarrassing..couldn't even remember how a song I wrote and put music to went. It just weren't my day. I started off by moving my chair a little and getting my finger cut on the blamed chair and then when Doug brought me a box of bandaids to try and stop the bleeding, I opened it and every bandaid in the box fell out on the ground...I knew right then It ain't gonna be your day but I made up for it by all the fun I had.

Sharmon
Please don't squeeze my Sharmon
My Kimmie
Friends Are Cherished
« Last Edit: November 04, 2007, 12:56:58 AM by PAPPY »
Sharmon
Please don't squeeze my Sharmon
KimmieFriends Are Cherished