Username: Password:

Author Topic: Texas Washies  (Read 91491 times)

Offline PAPPY

• View Profile
Texas Washies
« Reply #45 on: November 04, 2007, 12:40:09 AM »
Shiner, the shot of the jam room above has a celebrity in it. The man with his back to the camera with the blue hat is one of the very few guitar players to be enducted into the Fiddler's Hall of Fame. He played backup for a lot of great fiddlers all over the States and spent several years at the Grand Ole Opery in Tennessee doing just that. He lives in Gatesville and last year I spent one whole day playing with him at a friend's house. His name is Bill Lyell but most folks know him as Wild Bill. What he can't do with a guitar hasn't been done and his ole guit looks very similar to the one Willie Nelson plays LOL.

Take a look at just a few pictues of Wild Bill
http://www.fiddlersfrolics.com/halloffame/pages/Bill%20Lyell.htm

http://www.grandmasterfiddler.com/15066.html?*session*id*key*=*session*id*val*

Sharmon
Please don't squeeze my Sharmon
My Kimmie
Friends Are Cherished
« Last Edit: November 04, 2007, 12:42:34 AM by PAPPY »
Sharmon
KimmieFriends Are Cherished

Offline PAPPY

• View Profile
Texas Washies
« Reply #46 on: November 04, 2007, 08:06:19 AM »
quote:
And I really enjoyed meeting your cousin too. He plays one mean guitar . . . even if it is a Martin

He enjoyed meeting all of you two, he has diabetis and his blood sugar went low on him,that's the reason he put up his guitar. I should have been paying closer attention because he loves to play and sing, as soon as we got some food in him he was ok and we played at my brother's till around eleven last night. He owns a few real nice Martins, a Guild, a Yamaha that sound good and several others that I have not seen.

Sharmon
My Kimmie
Friends Are Cherished
Sharmon

Offline piebaldpython

• View Profile
Texas Washies
« Reply #47 on: November 04, 2007, 08:16:03 AM »
Shiner------our coach being DISTRACTED is the reason why we have a chance at beating y'all.  [:D]  Andy Reid is probably the worst 2 minute coach in the pros.  You wouldn't believe all the dumb calls, poor clock management, bad or non use of timeouts that has cost us points over the years.  UGH!!  County jail it is pardner.  What do you say we do it based on the aggregate score over the 2 regular season games???  [;)]  I'd feel bad ([}:)]) if you ended such a fine weekend in lock-up.  lolol  Good luck; y'all will need it!!!

Offline piebaldpython

• View Profile
Texas Washies
« Reply #48 on: November 05, 2007, 12:44:49 AM »
38-17!!!  Geez,we turned the ball over on the FIRST offensive play of the game.  OK, you get braggin' rights.  lol

Offline strumsalot

• View Profile
    • http://mycherishedmoments.com
Texas Washies
« Reply #49 on: November 05, 2007, 09:55:28 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by piebaldpython

38-17!!!  Geez,we turned the ball over on the FIRST offensive play of the game.  OK, you get braggin' rights.  lol

Hey Pie, man the Iggles were head hunting last night.[:(!] There should of been a couple ejections after that helmet-to-helmet stuff.

Westbrook played well.

Offline piebaldpython

• View Profile
Texas Washies
« Reply #50 on: November 05, 2007, 04:22:12 PM »
Shiner, I was less than thrilled to see the helmet-helmet stuff.  To me, that is just cheap-shot playing and has no business being in a game.  Ejections were warranted.  Yes, IGGLES sucked, especially McNabb.

Offline strumsalot

• View Profile
    • http://mycherishedmoments.com
Texas Washies
« Reply #51 on: November 05, 2007, 05:58:41 PM »
Yep, I'll still remember the 1-15 season like it was yesterday.[:(][:D]

Offline Childbride

• View Profile
Texas Washies
« Reply #52 on: November 05, 2007, 09:33:36 PM »
hey, Dug, did you make it back home ok?  

really enjoyed seeing you and meeting Anna this weekend.  

hope to see you at Pearl again soon.  should have the rest of Wildwood Flower with all the 'tricks' next time i see y'all.  i promise to share.  [:)]

2006 Washburn WD55SW Augusta
2006 Washburn J28S12DL
EA20SDL
JR-1 Yamaha
ANOTHER PROUD MEMBER OF THE CUMBERLAND BRIGADE!

Offline YerDugliness

• Pearl, TX jams at: www.pearlbluegrass.com/
    • View Profile
Texas Washies
« Reply #53 on: November 05, 2007, 10:07:07 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Childbride

hey, Dug, did you make it back home ok?  

really enjoyed seeing you and meeting Anna this weekend.  

hope to see you at Pearl again soon.  should have the rest of Wildwood Flower with all the 'tricks' next time i see y'all.  i promise to share.  [:)]

Actually, just made it home a couple of hours ago.  Stayed in Austin Saturday night, saw an old guitar playing friend I hadn't seen for about 8 years, we jammed together for a while, then AnnA and I hung with Jade for a while Sunday before we drove back to her place.  Had a medical appointment today (NO kidney stones, none for 2 years, I think I beat the curse!! [8D][8D] ).  

AnnA asked me to tell all y'all what a good time she had and how much she enjoyed hanging with the group.  We spent about an hour last night going through her old time C&W cassette collection--she wants me to learn some of the old time stuff, says that's what's popular at the Pearl event!  I'm getting the idea she wants to return with me again--hope so (she's been fighting some pretty severe back pain recently--was off work for 4 weeks, and can only work 4 hours a day now, but she's a trooper and you wouldn't know it if you didn't see the back brace)!!  I'm like Pappy, I'd like to have her chime in and sing a few--she grew up in an environment where it was almost all she heard as a child and even as a young teenager.  She know's 'em all, I tell you!

Looking forward to hearing Wildwood Flower in its entirety, CB--you'll get it, I can tell!  I may even find a version of it so I can play with you, well...................maybe?  

I'm hoping to have a few new ones by the next time I get up to Pearl, too--Pappy found the music for Buffalo Skinners, an old traditional bluegrass/cowboy tune I've loved for years.  I just didn't have time to work it up before this past weekend, watch out for next time!

Believe me, I'll be back (wish I could type that with a Schwarzeneger/Governator accent!).  Maybe December, maybe not, but for sure in January after I retire!!

I'm going to spend some time uploading to photobucket so I can post some of the photos AnnA took.

Dugly [8D]

YerDugliness, Esq./Post No Bills
Lifelong Audiophile
Guitar Playin' FOOL
Ready to retire and age disgracefully!!!

The crew:
Washburn WD32SW and WD32S (WD32S soon to receive an under-bridge pickup)
Epiphone AJ-10 (campfire guitar!!)
Yamaha G231-II and G60A Classical guitars
A Hohner classical I left at a vacation home in SW KS.
Epiphone Dot '63 ES335  Repop, Epiphone Les Paul Custom II
Ibanez RX20
A cheap Circle K banjo I play when feelin' funky
YerDugliness,Esq./Post No Bills
Guitar Playin' FOOL, attempting to age disgracefully!
Washburns:WD32SW,D61SW,D62SW,C124SWK,
WMJ21S(2),WGO26SCE,WSJ60SKELITE,WG26S (2).
Other fine acoustics:Breedlove custom shop 000,Hippner #506 Hauser,Takamini 2005 LTD,Epi Masterbilt AJ500RC

Offline YerDugliness

• Pearl, TX jams at: www.pearlbluegrass.com/
    • View Profile
Texas Washies
« Reply #54 on: November 05, 2007, 11:55:47 PM »
Some photos from this month's Pearl Bluegrass jam session:

CB's workin' it!

Yep, She got it!!

Shiner & CB--a great team.

Pappy's cousin singing Jambalaya

Pappy knows how to make that D10 sing--

Singing It Wasn't God Who Made Honkey-Tonk Angels

There's a stand-up bass and a player behind the dobro player..

That kid on the left is phenomenal--he plays guitar, mandolin, fiddle, who knows what else, and does them all well!!

YerDugliness playing Swingin' Sally

YerDugliness, Esq./Post No Bills
Lifelong Audiophile
Guitar Playin' FOOL
Ready to retire and age disgracefully!!!

The crew:
Washburn WD32SW and WD32S (WD32S soon to receive an under-bridge pickup)
Epiphone AJ-10 (campfire guitar!!)
Yamaha G231-II and G60A Classical guitars
A Hohner classical I left at a vacation home in SW KS.
Epiphone Dot '63 ES335  Repop, Epiphone Les Paul Custom II
Ibanez RX20
A cheap Circle K banjo I play when feelin' funky
« Last Edit: September 01, 2008, 03:20:46 PM by YerDugliness »
YerDugliness,Esq./Post No Bills
Guitar Playin' FOOL, attempting to age disgracefully!
Washburns:WD32SW,D61SW,D62SW,C124SWK,
WMJ21S(2),WGO26SCE,WSJ60SKELITE,WG26S (2).
Other fine acoustics:Breedlove custom shop 000,Hippner #506 Hauser,Takamini 2005 LTD,Epi Masterbilt AJ500RC

Offline PAPPY

• View Profile
Texas Washies
« Reply #55 on: November 06, 2007, 07:33:20 AM »
Maybe if we can't get Anna to sing for us we could hire her as photographer when we hit the big times. Great, clear pictures, one of them was almost to clear and I'm surprised it didn't break the camera. Glad you folks made it home OK and we'll see you next time you make it up this way. Had a great time.

Sharmon
My Kimmie
Friends Are Cherished
Sharmon

Offline millenium

• View Profile
Texas Washies
« Reply #56 on: November 06, 2007, 07:42:32 AM »
What an great bunch of COWBOYS !!! Looks like really fun gathering. I really envy you and would like so much to be there. Hey guys, don't you worry about smoking cigarette while holding your guitar ?? I've also noticed that most of you guys drive pick-up car or big 4X4... A lot of washburn out there, but someone, should bring an 12-string next time !!
« Last Edit: November 06, 2007, 07:42:48 AM by millenium »
yan
millenium
ANOTHER PROUD MEMBER OF THE MILLENIUM BRIGADE

Offline PAPPY

• View Profile
Texas Washies
« Reply #57 on: November 06, 2007, 08:10:03 AM »
quote:
Hey guys, don't you worry about smoking cigarette while holding your guitar ??

I don't worry a bit about it, by dropping the ashes down the soundhole it provides me an easy short fix at times when I can't take time out to smoke...I just raise the guitar up and smell the soundhole and waalaa. It might hurt the resale value but I won't have to worry about that...these babies ain't going nowhere as long as I'm living.[:D][:D]

quote:
I've also noticed that most of you guys drive pick-up car or big 4X4

We call em pickup trucks instead of pickup car and yes there is probably more pickups than cars in this part of the country because it is ranching country and you have to use pickups to haul feed for the stock, fencing materials, windmill tools and more...plus it's a lot easier to reach the beer cooler in the bed of the truck than it is to get to it in a car. I haven't owned a car for myself since I got out of highschool, I'd much rather drive a pickup. Maybe you could set it up to come see us next vacation time. You'd be welcome.

Sharmon
My Kimmie
Friends Are Cherished
« Last Edit: November 06, 2007, 08:27:12 AM by PAPPY »
Sharmon

Offline millenium

• View Profile
Texas Washies
« Reply #58 on: November 06, 2007, 08:28:43 AM »
Smoking give CANCER...!! you should care about your guitar health, not yours.. hihihihi
« Last Edit: November 06, 2007, 08:29:10 AM by millenium »
yan
millenium
ANOTHER PROUD MEMBER OF THE MILLENIUM BRIGADE

Offline PAPPY

• View Profile
Texas Washies
« Reply #59 on: November 06, 2007, 08:34:06 AM »
[:D][:D][:D] Your probably right but when someone wants to look at my guitar and they smell the smoke they think I have really been playing that guitar, in lot's of cases when they smell the smoke they won't even ask to hold my guitar and that suits me fine [:D][:D][:D]

Sharmon
My Kimmie
Friends Are Cherished
Sharmon