Username: Password:

Author Topic: Where do you hound-dogs live?  (Read 95806 times)

Offline Rodney Boyer

• View Profile
Where do you hound-dogs live?
« Reply #90 on: March 15, 2008, 07:54:56 PM »
Hey Ed,

Let's hear it for the 50's it is never to late to learn, huh?

Rod
ROD

Offline Deb

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: March 15, 2008, 08:21:29 PM »
I was born in Kentuckiana, a few miles north of the Ohio River. When we were kids and went to camp in central Indiana, the kids were merciless about our southern drawl. Lived in KY, 3 years for college, Atlanta for 3 yrs., East TN. mts. for 6 years and have been here in central Ohio for 17! Yikes that makes me feel old! I miss the mountains! Think it's in my blood. I heard our area of Indiana was settled by southerners who came up the Ohio River. I believe it! Guitars never sounded sweeter than the old guys sitting on the back of pickup trucks down there. Atmosphere you could reach out and touch!

Offline Lunaray

• View Profile
    • http://www.rayspace.com
« Reply #92 on: March 16, 2008, 04:17:39 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Deb

I was born in Kentuckiana, a few miles north of the Ohio River. When we were kids and went to camp in central Indiana, the kids were merciless about our southern drawl. Lived in KY, 3 years for college, Atlanta for 3 yrs., East TN. mts. for 6 years and have been here in central Ohio for 17! Yikes that makes me feel old! I miss the mountains! Think it's in my blood. I heard our area of Indiana was settled by southerners who came up the Ohio River. I believe it! Guitars never sounded sweeter than the old guys sitting on the back of pickup trucks down there. Atmosphere you could reach out and touch!

Welcome to the Forum Deb.  I know what you mean about the mountains, I've lived in the Pacific Northwest all of my life, but I have been back east a couple of times (Texas & Florida) and I could never live there; is there such a thing as claustraphobia for flat places?  I don't know, but it sure felt weird with no trees and miles & miles of straight horizons, I was sure glad to get home.

Ray
www.southforkmtnmusic.com  
Antique Washburn Parlor, Model 5200

Music is best when it's played around a campfire!
Ray

Offline edge51va

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: March 24, 2008, 12:27:53 PM »
That's for sure.  Anyway, fewer inhibitions now that I'm older.
Presently learning to play Dust in the Wind (Kansas).  Good piece for practicing Travis picking.

Ed

quote:
Originally posted by Rodney Boyer

Hey Ed,

Rod

ROD

My Guitars:

D10S
Epiphone Dove
D52SW
Ed G.

My Guitars:

Washburn D10S
Washburn D52SW
Epiphone Dove
Epiphone Masterbilt EJ-500RVS

Offline toni_daredevil

• View Profile
    • http://desordenadahabitacion.blogspot.com
« Reply #94 on: March 25, 2008, 12:30:24 PM »
Here I am, Toni from Barcelona: great mediterranean weather, great city, plenty of music shops, great bands... Have a nice hello from overseas!
Toni from Barcelona
Keep on rockin'

Offline Rodney Boyer

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: March 25, 2008, 08:06:17 PM »
That is a good song.  I am into the singer/songwriters of the 60's and 70's and groups of the era big time Eagles fan. I haven't played for 30 years and I can not believe how much is coming back to me, good luck with Dust in Wind

quote:
Originally posted by edge51va

That's for sure.  Anyway, fewer inhibitions now that I'm older.
Presently learning to play Dust in the Wind (Kansas).  Good piece for practicing Travis picking.

Ed

quote:
Originally posted by Rodney Boyer

Hey Ed,

Rod

My Guitars:

D10S
Epiphone Dove
D52SW

ROD

Offline nodehopper

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: April 03, 2008, 06:11:38 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Lunaray

I know what you mean about the mountains, I've lived in the Pacific Northwest all of my life, but I have been back east a couple of times (Texas & Florida) and I could never live there; is there such a thing as claustraphobia for flat places?  I don't know, but it sure felt weird with no trees and miles & miles of straight horizons, I was sure glad to get home.

Ray

I totally understand the Flat land phobia ...got it myself.

I am in the Foothills of the Sierra Nevada Mtns near Auburn. Sorta between Sacramento Calif and Lake Tahoe. Been up in the forest for 18 years now and could never go back to the flat suburban neighborhood.

I too am just starting up playing after being stupid and stuffing my guitar in the closet for over 15 years. If only I had kept playing I could have been a monster picker by now.  Oh well ...older and wiser??? well, maybe one out of two for me.

Here is the homestead .....in the process of adding a small music room and expanded kitchen. Framing is up and roofing will be next!!

Stephen......   Ain't no more potatoes, the frost have killed the vine ......
Well, the blues ain't nothin' but a good woman on your mind MJH

Gibson CJ-165

WASHBURN 125-ANNIVERSARY-R316-SWRK PARLOR                                

Martin D 16 H

Gibson Les Paul Studio Premium Plus

Gibson CJ-165

Martin D 16 H - Martin 000-15S

Offline kewltunes

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: April 04, 2008, 06:10:43 PM »
Central Coast of California (Santa Maria)

Kewltunes & My Close Personal Friends,
Washburn EA20
Washburn EA20-12
Washburn EA18
Washburn W200
Washburn X10
Ovation CSD225 {double neck 6+12 a/e}
ANOTHER PROUD MEMBER OF THE FESTIVAL GUILD

Offline capermedic

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: April 08, 2008, 05:10:43 PM »
born and raised in cape breton island (Nova Scotia)Canada home of the famous Cabot trail im am the farthest point on the east coast so close to the water that newfoundland is a 5 hour boat drive awsome place to live i must say to my american neighbors seagull guitars are our claim and they are beautiful but washburn is the best!

Offline grayct

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: April 12, 2008, 11:21:01 PM »
Wingo Kentucky here. That is far western Kentucky.  Just picked up the guitar last year and find it a rewarding challenge at the young age of 41

Offline Tio Kimo

• you're never too old to be what you might've been
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: April 13, 2008, 01:40:02 PM »
Oak Park, Il. More neighborhood than suburb - of Chicago. (I can see the Sears Tower from here). Like many of you, picked up the guitar a couple years ago....now 41.
We in Chicago are blessed with the Old Town School of Folk music...aptly named at it's founding during the folkie craze 50 years ago, now a veritable smorgasbord of all things musical and artistic. Makes it easy  to find players of all stripes to play with and listen to and learn from. This week alone I played with a Wilco ensemble and later in a Django Jam. Seeing 3 shows this coming week. Really blessed.

Came here by way of Ann Arbor, North Eastern Mass, Seacoast NH, a stint in LA, and Chicago for the last 18 yrs. Miss the mountains more than words can express.

Heritage wise, I'm a French Canadian from Riviere Ouelle...millenium will know the spot.

Cheers to all.

~kimo

'03 Idol WI-67PROQTS
'04 Larrivee LV-03 w/ Fishman blend
Roland Cube 30X
http://www.oldtownschool.org/
'95 Washburn D-55SW Cherokee (Bourgeois)
'04 Larrivée LV-03 w/ Fishman blend
'02 Heritage 535
'12 Heritage 150
'10 Larrivée RS-2
'11 Benford Tele
'12 Kirn Barn Buster
Marshall AS50D
Little Lanilei 3350LT
Champlifier
Boogie DC-2

Offline Lunaray

• View Profile
    • http://www.rayspace.com
« Reply #101 on: April 15, 2008, 01:54:26 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by nodehopper

I totally understand the Flat land phobia ...got it myself.

Nice place nodehopper, but I'd be worrying about that leaning tree! [:0]  I had a tree come down on my house in 2006!

Ray
www.southforkmtnmusic.com  

« Last Edit: April 15, 2008, 01:58:57 PM by Lunaray »
Ray

Offline Makarovii

• View Profile
« Reply #102 on: April 26, 2008, 07:09:04 PM »
Born a Navy brat in Norfolk, Va but spent the next 46 of my 48 years in Long Beach, Ca. I have had a guitar in the house since the age of 16 but lack the talent to do much with it. As asked on another board, is your gear better than you or are you better than your gear? My gear is better than I am...[B)][:I]

Offline nodehopper

• View Profile
« Reply #103 on: April 29, 2008, 10:53:45 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by Lunaray

Nice place nodehopper, but I'd be worrying about that leaning tree! [:0]  I had a tree come down on my house in 2006!

Ray

About 4 years ago we had an Oak fall in a snow storm and on it's way down it pulled a 80 foot tall Doug Fir down with it. My Wife and I had just gotten into bed and the whole thing came down about twenty feet from our bedroom. We heard the CRACK!! and grabbed on to each other and thought it was the end for us.

Big clean up but ended up with fire wood for 2 years :)

We have had a tree guy come and look at that tree cause it scares me, but he said a Ponderosa Pine tree like that is not coming down. I suggested he take it down anyways and he said no......we really don't need to. The guy knows his stuff so the tree gets to live.

I guess where we live I would rather take the chance of a tree coming down vs. a drive by or car jacking or some of the other risks of living in The Big City

Gibson CJ-165

Martin D 16 H

Gibson CJ-165

Martin D 16 H - Martin 000-15S

Offline Hey You

• View Profile
« Reply #104 on: May 02, 2008, 12:43:43 AM »
Hello All,
Portland is my home.   All of your locations flash a vision in my minds eye thinking of what it must feel like for you in your towns.    Old Town Music - a warm friendly feeling, Cape Bretan - keep the music comin', Texas - you too, Manzanita - let's jam.  
Thanks for the thoughts.
mercy now