Username: Password:

Author Topic: Bass guitar NOOB requesting some help  (Read 1755 times)

Offline YerDugliness

• Pearl, TX jams at: www.pearlbluegrass.com/
    • View Profile
Bass guitar NOOB requesting some help
« on: October 18, 2008, 09:56:54 PM »
Hi, guys (and gals?)!   As you can see from my post count, I've been around the forum for a while, but haven't had any issues that needed to be posted on the bass guitar board, until now that is.

There are just some songs that don't have that signature sound that makes them so distinguished without the bass line--this is a great example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHIIivQnIsU  

I'm primarily a 6-stringer, mostly instrumentalist, but every now and then I do enjoy punishing others with my voice.  It's funny, we'll all be sitting around the circle, sharing tunes, and somebody will get stuck and can't take their turn--then somebody says If you don't get one going soon, we'll make Dugly sing.  You should see them all jump for their song books [:D] .

So, I'm considering picking up the bass, hope all y'all will answer a few very elementary questions from this noob (although I did play bass for a 4 piece group in the early 80's, but only b/c the rhythm player couldn't pick up the bass so they drafted me).

Our 6 strings are tuned to E-A-D-G-B-e in standard tune.  It's my understanding that bass guitars are tuned to four of the same notes, so is an open tuning on a bass E-A-D-G or is it D-G-B-e?

If I were a betting man, I'd bet on E-A-D-G, as that's the bass portion of our 6 strings, but I need some verification or correction, as the case may be [:I] .

So, next question, let's assume for now that I might be right, that the bass guitar's strings are tuned to the same notes as our 6-string's lower pitch 4 strings.....does that mean I could go to a website and download the bass tabs and then transfer those tabs directly to a 6-string guitar?  I realize there would be at least one octave difference (please let me know how many octaves the bass guitar's E string is below the 6 string guitar's E string...), just wondering of the fingering pattern would be the same.

Thanks, guys (and gals?)....any help would be sincerely appreicated by this old retired schoolteacher who calls himself...

Dugly [8D]

YerDugliness, Esq./Post No Bills
Lifelong Audiophile
Guitar Playin' FOOL
Retired & attempting to age disgracefully!!!

The crew:
Washburns: WD32S, WD32SW, and D61SW
Epiphones: a Dot '63 ES335 repop,  Masterbilt AJ500RC on order
Yamaha Classical guitars: G231-II and G60A
Hippner #506 concert grade classical (arrived damaged, repairs arranged)
Takamine 2005 LTD Edition
Breedlove custom shop Deluxe Build Revival 000 slot-headed 12-fretter
A Hohner classical I left at a vacation home in SW KS.
Ibanez RX20

YerDugliness,Esq./Post No Bills
Guitar Playin' FOOL, attempting to age disgracefully!
Washburns:WD32SW,D61SW,D62SW,C124SWK,
WMJ21S(2),WGO26SCE,WSJ60SKELITE,WG26S (2).
Other fine acoustics:Breedlove custom shop 000,Hippner #506 Hauser,Takamini 2005 LTD,Epi Masterbilt AJ500RC

Offline vikingraider1

• View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/thelondondiehards
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2008, 05:14:31 AM »
You are correct. Standard tuning for bass guitar is E, A, D, G, and corresponds directly with the standard guitar tuning.

Of couse many people tune down to D and sometimes even lower but as far as standard (440hz) tuning is concerned you are correct. Also, yes you can download tabs and transfer them directly to your standard tuned gutiar, provided the song is written and performed in standard tuning.
Hope that helps.

Washburn Custom Shop Idol
Washburn Idol WI-64 ND
Washburn Idol WI-65
Washburn WI66NC Nick Catanese
Peavey USA Wolfgang Standard
Washburn Custom Shop Idol
Washburn NC70
Washburn Boogie Street Billy Club
Washburn WI66NC
Washburn HM series Idol

Offline JohnCub

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2008, 07:19:11 AM »
Dugly:
The notes on a bass do exactly correspond to those bass strings on the guitar with a one octave shift down.  The tab can be interchanged between bass and guitar but it never seems to turn out right for my ears.  I prefer the guitar does guitar things and the bass does bass things.  I do like to look over both sets of tab in case I see something that might help me.  Music itself is not so easy since the bass is in bass clef and guitar is in treble clef.  I still have trouble reading bass clef for some reason.  You'd think it would be like a capo'd treble clef but for some reason my brain never grabbed hold of that concept.