Username: Password:

Author Topic: Customizing a Taurus 14  (Read 2206 times)

Offline all_4_jazz_music

• View Profile
Customizing a Taurus 14
« on: December 02, 2007, 07:43:03 PM »
I've been thinking about customizing my T14. And I'm not sure how to approach this. This bass has basically been collecting dust ever since I bought a fender jazz. My T14 was my first bass and it holds sentimental value. So, I'd like to keep it around for as long as possible.  Does anyone know anything about upgrading this bass (pickups, neck, bridge, etc...)? Could I take it to a guitar shop and have them do the assembling?
Any information, MUCH THANKS!

Offline Drefen

• View Profile
Customizing a Taurus 14
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2007, 12:13:01 AM »
Well sure, you could take it to a shop and have them do the assembly but do you really want to?  I mean half the fun and satisfaction is getting in there and doing it yourself.  Your bass is pretty standard stuff so everything you need is avaialble off the shelf an in most cases just gets bolted on with basic hand tools.   The part that tends to scare most people is the soldering which really is not that hard to do or repainting which also is not overly difficult and you can find dozens of tutorials on the web that walk you through the process.  

To determine the approach starts with how you define customizing and how far you want to take it.

Offline buckethead

• View Profile
Customizing a Taurus 14
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2007, 04:53:40 PM »
drefen is right upgrading isnt all that hard but if you do it looses value. but if you plan on keeping it go for it.

the guitars:
B.C. Rich warlock
Washburn RB-2502
strat knock off

the amps:
Peavey Rage 158
Fender Rumble 100
the guitars:
B.C. Rich warlock
Washburn RB-2502
2 strat knock off's
Ibanez AEB-30

the amps:
Peavey Rage 158
Fender Rumble 100

Offline Le Basseur

• View Profile
    • http://http://www.myspace.com/trilogyjazz
Customizing a Taurus 14
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2007, 02:59:07 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by buckethead

upgrading isnt all that hard but if you do it looses value.

I wouldn't agree to this statement because,let's keep things straight,the T14 isn't at all a vintage instrument.True,if I'd have a,say, Fender JazzBass made in the 60s-70s (with it's intrinsic value),I'd choose with utmost care if I'd made any mod/upgrade AND of what nature...of course,keeping the original parts in a closet as a rule of thumb.In the T14 case,IF wisely upgraded,you should only gain,sound-wise and reselling value alike.
Regards,
I can't give you any brains,but I can give you a DIPLOMA!
(Wizard of Oz talking to the Tin Man)
You're smart enough not to consider me a fool
Ol' Romanian proverb

Offline buckethead

• View Profile
Customizing a Taurus 14
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2007, 07:23:32 PM »
yeah thats true. but i was going to put better parts in my rb 2502 and they said it would go down in value tremendously.

the guitars:
B.C. Rich warlock
Washburn RB-2502
strat knock off

the amps:
Peavey Rage 158
Fender Rumble 100
the guitars:
B.C. Rich warlock
Washburn RB-2502
2 strat knock off's
Ibanez AEB-30

the amps:
Peavey Rage 158
Fender Rumble 100

Offline Le Basseur

• View Profile
    • http://http://www.myspace.com/trilogyjazz
Customizing a Taurus 14
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2007, 02:54:01 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by buckethead

but i was going to put better parts in my rb 2502 and they said it would go down in value tremendously.

Hey,[:)]
1.What did you exactly want to change in your RB?
AFAIK,the RB is a better-built bass than a T14 in any term.Though,you'd might upgrading it with a better onboard preamp and/or better PUs (both at your choice of taste) and,eventually,better tuning machines (if the originals,supposedly Grovers,begin to develop problems).Oh yes,and,maybe,a new,better nut if the original isn't properly cut/adjusted.
Supposing that you'll upgrade with some better components (better is,as always,a relative term but IMHO a Bartolini or Seymour Duncan MM+J PU pair should easily beat the cheap Chinese originals) any of the above should tremendously[;)] RAISE the overall value,not lower it.
Anything else looks fine on that bass so any other modification should be hardly justifiable.
2.Who are they who sold you the re-selling value stuff?
(never mind,it's probably a narrow-minded seller...I'm already used to it as a default dealer's behaviour/policy/state-of-mind). [:D]  
Regards,
I can't give you any brains,but I can give you a DIPLOMA!
(Wizard of Oz talking to the Tin Man)
You're smart enough not to consider me a fool
Ol' Romanian proverb

Offline buckethead

• View Profile
Customizing a Taurus 14
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2007, 09:01:49 AM »
i was going to upgrade the pups i never thought about the pre-amp and i have true grovers on it. i just nevery realy found 5 string pups that i liked and would fit in the budy where the originals are

the guitars:
B.C. Rich warlock
Washburn RB-2502
strat knock off

the amps:
Peavey Rage 158
Fender Rumble 100
the guitars:
B.C. Rich warlock
Washburn RB-2502
2 strat knock off's
Ibanez AEB-30