Username: Password:

Author Topic: Hanna Montana  (Read 7513 times)

Offline Pike

• View Profile
Hanna Montana
« on: December 03, 2007, 03:15:41 PM »
Hahahahahahahah!!!!!!!!!  Felix the Cat is bad enough. At least that is a half decent guitar. But.... Hannah Montana?  AAARRRRGGGHHHHH!!!!!
« Last Edit: December 03, 2007, 03:21:00 PM by Pike »

Offline evenkeel

• View Profile
Hanna Montana
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2007, 03:28:53 PM »
It seems half the Washburn guitars on e-bay are hannah montana models.  Since my wife and I don't have kids we sort of don't get the whole HM thing.  But if it gets a few kids playing a guitar rather than nintendo maybe it's not such a bad thing.

Ah heck it still seems like cr*p to me.[}:)][:D][:D]

Offline Pike

• View Profile
Hanna Montana
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2007, 03:41:35 PM »
Cute n' all, but start a kid off on one of these and they'll quit in no time. Both OS OG1's I got for both my daughter and my grandson (although pretty nice little guitars for the money) needed major set up work to make them playable at all, especially for a beginner.

Offline Dreadman

• View Profile
    • G-Tech Guitar Works
Hanna Montana
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2007, 10:21:09 PM »
This was discussed in the general section a while ago. I personally don't care for this kind of marketing. I think it diminishes the overall coolness of guitars when a human cartoon character is used this way.

For those that don't know, Hannah Montana is a childrens TV show and Mylie Cyrus (Billy Ray's daughter) plays Hannah. Now Billy Ray seems like a pretty cool dude to me but there are cracks forming in his facade. First he had nothing to say at all when scalpers (illegally) bought all of HM's concert tickets and jacked the price to the sky (fan club members who paid for the privledge of buying tickets early got screwed) plus there's the Disney/Washburn/Cyrus toy guitars.

Yeah, now that I think about it the shine is off the Billy Ray Cyrus apple.

Dreadman
my guitars
Dreadman

The easiest way to make people believe you are a good man is to be a good man.

Offline Dreadman

• View Profile
    • G-Tech Guitar Works
Hanna Montana
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2007, 10:26:44 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Pike

.....start a kid off on one of these and they'll quit in no time.

I was thinking about that and I agree. A guitar is a lifelong interest and Barney, Power Rangers, Hannah Montana, etc... are passing fads. Most kids are embarrassed about the things they used to like when they were younger so when a year passes the Hannah Banana guitar goes in the back of the closet.

Dreadman
my guitars
Dreadman

Offline Pike

• View Profile
Hanna Montana
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2007, 12:57:03 AM »
quote:
Both OS OG1's I got for both my daughter and my grandson (although pretty nice little guitars for the money) needed major set up work to make them playable at all, especially for a beginner.
I'd like to clarify this statement. In all fairness these weren't really set up all that bad from the factory. But not real good either. The necks are good, the intonation on, and they sound nice, all in all a good little 3/4 starter for the price, but there is little doubt a young beginner would find them a lot more difficult to play than after I set them up.

Offline Sarrkazztic

• View Profile
    • http://www.teslatheband.com
Hanna Montana
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2007, 05:16:36 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by Dreadman

This was discussed in the general section a while ago. I personally don't care for this kind of marketing. I think it diminishes the overall coolness of guitars when a human cartoon character is used this way.

For those that don't know, Hannah Montana is a childrens TV show and Mylie Cyrus (Billy Ray's daughter) plays Hannah. Now Billy Ray seems like a pretty cool dude to me but there are cracks forming in his facade. First he had nothing to say at all when scalpers (illegally) bought all of HM's concert tickets and jacked the price to the sky (fan club members who paid for the privledge of buying tickets early got screwed) plus there's the Disney/Washburn/Cyrus toy guitars.

Yeah, now that I think about it the shine is off the Billy Ray Cyrus apple.

Dreadman
my guitars

Can you really blame Billy? He was pretty much abandoned by the music industry after Achy Breaky Heart.....catchy tune....but there were some pretty good songs on that cd back in the day....Some Gave All and Could've Been Me, were both respectable ballads....and the industry just left him out in the cold......While I personally hate scalpers because they have driven concerts to an unaffordable price range....why would Cyrus be upset to know his Daughter was going to have a packed house regardless of the cost per ticket.....she was making her money off merch sales inside.
**BEANO does not cure the kind of GAS I have**

Offline magoo99

• View Profile
Hanna Montana
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2007, 10:30:34 AM »
Oh thanks for this post guys, Now my daughter wants this guitar.. LOL
bad enough Hannah is on our TV, DVD  and cd player,posters on walls books all over the place, doll everywhere, and the cloths....I would however love the money that this is bringing in. LOL

Offline Dreadman

• View Profile
    • G-Tech Guitar Works
Hanna Montana
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2007, 10:36:12 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by Sarrkazztic

why would Cyrus be upset to know his Daughter was going to have a packed house regardless of the cost per ticket

I was thinking about all the fan club members who paid dues in order to have first shot at buying tickets. They got screwed and nobody cared (enough to do anything about it).

Dreadman
my guitars
Dreadman

Offline RGG Music

• View Profile
    • http://www.RGGmusic.com
Hanna Montana
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2007, 12:36:21 PM »
I'll go on record as saying that I hate Hanna Montana and I hate the channel she's on.
I hate Zack and I hate Cody and don't even get me started on That's So Raven.

(whew... feeling better).

Now if you as a musician and you wrote a tune that had the words achy breaky heart in it...
Would you
A.  Try to sell it and build a career around it?
B.  Just put it aside and try something better?
C.  Quit songwriting and learn to weld?
D.  Shoot yourself?

Offline magoo99

• View Profile
Hanna Montana
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2007, 05:00:00 PM »
D for me...LOL...but I think billy picked......A...LOL
More power to him but, I still HATE that song.

ship of fools

Hanna Montana
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2007, 09:09:36 AM »
Scalper prices for the Led Zepplin concert tomorrow, $2000 pounds,which comes to approx. $4400.00 Canadian for each ticket, even though they had to line up the day before and submit to vigorous ID checks they are still finding ways of getting around it,[xx(] I have to ask why anyone would pay to see ( short of some charity concert ) any group, that kind of money.Ship.......hey lets remember who made that song famous,the guys and girls buying into it,not Billy Ray, he certainly couldn't afford to go and buy those albums at the time.

Millenium Brigade
Rover Brigade
Another WAGJammer
Timbercraft Brigade J52SW

and other great sounding and playing guitars

Offline RGG Music

• View Profile
    • http://www.RGGmusic.com
Hanna Montana
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2007, 10:25:07 AM »
I stand corrected.  Billy Ray Cyrus didn't write Achy Breaky Heart.  According to Wikopedia, it was written by Don Von Tress who I think was in Cyrus' band.  The original title was Achin' Breakin' Heart, and it was Billy Ray who changed the lyrics to Achy Breaky....   fascinating stuff.

But Wikopedia goes on to say that The song renewed a popular interest in line dancing and mullet hairstyles in the United States and Canada, and that's two strikes right there in my book.

For more clever songwriting, you might want to check out Weird Al Yanchovich's take on this whole thing: right here!

Offline YerDugliness

• Pearl, TX jams at: www.pearlbluegrass.com/
    • View Profile
Hanna Montana
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2007, 11:09:49 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by RGG Music

For more clever songwriting, you might want to check out Weird Al Yanchovich's take on this whole thing: right here!

Gotta Love IT!!!

I did the same for the greeting message on my pager once (done with my guitar, in my best Elvis slur, to the tune of Blue Suede Shoes) [}:)]:

Well, it's one for the money, two for the  show,
Wait for the beep and then go, Cat, Go!
Well, won't you leave a message on my machine,
Yeah, you can say anything, just remember to wait for the beep!

Yeah, you can slander my name all over the place,
or call me a wimp till you're blue in the face.
There's only one thing that I wanna do,
and that's answer a message that's left by you!

Well, won't you leave a message on my machine?
Yeah, you can say anything, just remember to wait for the beep.

Y'all speak up now, y'hear?

Great fun, LOVE wierd Al!

Dugly [8D]

YerDugliness, Esq./Post No Bills
Lifelong Audiophile
Guitar Playin' FOOL
Ready to retire and age disgracefully!!!

The crew:
Washburn WD32SW and WD32S (WD32S soon to receive an under-bridge pickup)
Epiphone AJ-10 (campfire guitar!!)
Yamaha G231-II and G60A Classical guitars
A Hohner classical I left at a vacation home in SW KS.
Epiphone Dot '63 ES335  Repop, Epiphone Les Paul Special (?)
Ibanez RX20
A cheap Circle K banjo I play when feelin' funky
« Last Edit: December 09, 2007, 11:10:37 AM by YerDugliness »
YerDugliness,Esq./Post No Bills
Guitar Playin' FOOL, attempting to age disgracefully!
Washburns:WD32SW,D61SW,D62SW,C124SWK,
WMJ21S(2),WGO26SCE,WSJ60SKELITE,WG26S (2).
Other fine acoustics:Breedlove custom shop 000,Hippner #506 Hauser,Takamini 2005 LTD,Epi Masterbilt AJ500RC

Offline mrosadino

• View Profile
Hanna Montana
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2008, 11:45:30 AM »
Pike, do you know of any Hannah Montana-marketed guitars that might actually keep my kid interested in guitar?   She'll be 8 in February and she won't even pickup a guitar at this point unless it's pink and says Hannah Montana on it.  Go figure.  I would so much like for her to stick w/ it once she starts.
Thanks [:)]

quote:
Originally posted by Pike

Cute n' all, but start a kid off on one of these and they'll quit in no time. Both OS OG1's I got for both my daughter and my grandson (although pretty nice little guitars for the money) needed major set up work to make them playable at all, especially for a beginner.