Username: Password:

Author Topic: Getting back into after 15 years  (Read 6203 times)

Offline YerDugliness

• Pearl, TX jams at: www.pearlbluegrass.com/
    • View Profile
Getting back into after 15 years
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2007, 10:05:17 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by DigitalMan

Ok, been having some USB issues but finally got some pics of my toy up. Not the greatest pic but can see it in front of my other toys. :-)

Like the other toys, too, DM--are you by chance an audiophile, too?

Dugly [8D]

YerDugliness, Esq./Post No Bills
Lifelong Audiophile
Guitar Playin' FOOL
Ready to retire and age disgracefully!!!

The crew:
Washburn WD32SW and WD32S (WD32S soon to receive an under-bridge pickup)
Epiphone AJ-10 (campfire guitar!!)
Yamaha G231-II and G60A Classical guitars
A Hohner classical I left at a vacation home in SW KS.
Epiphone Dot '63 ES335  Repop, Epiphone Les Paul Special (?)
Ibanez RX20
A cheap Circle K banjo I play when feelin' funky
YerDugliness,Esq./Post No Bills
Guitar Playin' FOOL, attempting to age disgracefully!
Washburns:WD32SW,D61SW,D62SW,C124SWK,
WMJ21S(2),WGO26SCE,WSJ60SKELITE,WG26S (2).
Other fine acoustics:Breedlove custom shop 000,Hippner #506 Hauser,Takamini 2005 LTD,Epi Masterbilt AJ500RC

Offline DigitalMan

• View Profile
    • http://www.danduda.com
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2007, 11:39:27 AM »
[8D] I try to be. Already had surround sound upstairs with our dinky 24 tv. Finally after 6 years of wanting one got the 52 HDTV but because of marriage politics it ended up downstairs in my office. Which in a way worked out better. But the speakers for downstairs will have to wait a while. Luckily the sound on the Samsung set is pretty decent for now. Actually heard some new things on my Rush DVD that I never heard with the surround speakers upstairs.

DM

quote:
Originally posted by YerDugliness

quote:

Ok, been having some USB issues but finally got some pics of my toy up. Not the greatest pic but can see it in front of my other toys. :-)

Like the other toys, too, DM--are you by chance an audiophile, too?

Dugly [8D]

Lifelong Audiophile
Guitar Playin' FOOL

The crew:
Ibanez RX20

Offline YerDugliness

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2007, 12:14:19 PM »
I know how it is with WAF (Wife Approval Factor) issues [:(] !!  Fortunately for me, I've gotten rid of the wives, kept the AV gear.

Right now I have three HT setups, one is a Denon Dolby Pro Logic setup in my living room, but I also have two Onkyo DD/dts setups, one a 6.1 in my bedroom (w/Klipsch speakers), one a 7.1 HTIB in a vacation home.  I also own a Samsung HD TV, but not a widescreen like yours, just a 27 but the dadgum thing weighs about 200#.  It takes two of us to get it down off the wall mount whenever I need to get it serviced.

Like I've said before--the only difference between men and boys is the cost of our toys!!  I bet that goes for the guitars, too--the older I get, the more expensive guitars I buy.  Damn GAS  [}:)]!!!!!

Dugly

Lifelong Audiophile
Guitar Playin' FOOL

The crew:
Ibanez RX20
Other fine acoustics:Breedlove custom shop 000,Hippner #506 Hauser,Takamini 2005 LTD,Epi Masterbilt AJ500RC

Offline DigitalMan

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2007, 01:40:49 PM »
Cool. I will have to talk to you then when I'm ready to search for a receiver and speakers. I have a Marantz upstairs with B&W speakers and have been pretty happy with that. Always have to blast the THX theme for guests. [:D]

DM

quote:
Originally posted by YerDugliness

I know how it is with WAF (Wife Approval Factor) issues [:(] !!  Fortunately for me, I've gotten rid of the wives, kept the AV gear.

Right now I have three HT setups, one is a Denon Dolby Pro Logic setup in my living room, but I also have two Onkyo DD/dts setups, one a 6.1 in my bedroom (w/Klipsch speakers), one a 7.1 HTIB in a vacation home.  I also own a Samsung HD TV, but not a widescreen like yours, just a 27 but the dadgum thing weighs about 200#.  It takes two of us to get it down off the wall mount whenever I need to get it serviced.

Like I've said before--the only difference between men and boys is the cost of our toys!!  I bet that goes for the guitars, too--the older I get, the more expensive guitars I buy.  Damn GAS  [}:)]!!!!!

Dugly

Lifelong Audiophile
Guitar Playin' FOOL

The crew:
Ibanez RX20

Offline YerDugliness

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2007, 01:52:19 PM »
quote:

Cool. I will have to talk to you then when I'm ready to search for a receiver and speakers. I have a Marantz upstairs with B&W speakers and have been pretty happy with that. Always have to blast the THX theme for guests. [:D]
DM

Why search for new speakers?  You already have the Holy Grail in audiodom--B & W.  My living room RF and LF speakers are homemade behemoths, each carrying a 15 woofer, two 5 1/4 midrange cones, and three silk dome tweeters and a horn tweeter.  They ROCK, and the only speakers I've ever heard that put them to shame was a set of B & W speakers.  I would buy the Nautilus if I could, but......[:(] .

Yeah, I enjoy doing the THX theme thing, too--just great sonics, eh?

So sorry to have hijacked your thread, DM, but you know how it is with us audiophiles--we can't NOT talk audio any more than we can NOT breathe air [;)] .  Skip77 is also an audiophile--we've had some great email conversations regarding our audio gear and dreams.

Dugly

Lifelong Audiophile
Guitar Playin' FOOL

The crew:
Ibanez RX20

Offline DigitalMan

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2007, 02:36:50 PM »
Well I was gonna say that the speakers are already hooked up upstairs and doubt I'd be allowed to steal them but now that I think about maybe the wife unit would like to get rid of them upstairs. [8D]  You've planted a seed here. I'd still need a new receiver since I'd want HDMI 1.3 for downstairs but... hmmm the gears are turning now [:)]

Offline YerDugliness

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2007, 04:51:37 PM »
quote:

I'd still need a new receiver since I'd want HDMI 1.3 for downstairs but... hmmm the gears are turning now [:)]

Hey--GAS doesn't just stand for Guitar Acquisition Syndrome, it can also stand for Gear Acquisition Syndrome---AUDIO gear!!!

Now all you need to do is find a way to grease those gears.....[}:)]--You already have the WAF issue covered!

Dugly [8D]

Lifelong Audiophile
Guitar Playin' FOOL

The crew:
Ibanez RX20

Offline skip77

• View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/canarycreek
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2007, 08:07:00 PM »
Hey Digital - I don't have GuitarPro so I can't compare. Since Guitar Guru is free why not just get it and find out? I'm telling you, it's pretty darn cool software! I have PowerTab Editor also - when I want to try and write something, it's nice.

Washburn HOB
Carlo Robelli Mini-6
Gitano All-Maple Jumbo Cutaway
All Beaters - All Fantastic!
www.mytowntennis.com/guitar.htm

Accoustic is Pure - Electric is 4 Sissies
guitar challenged

Offline cllvt

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2007, 06:19:11 AM »
quote:

Is this better than Guitar Pro 5? I've been trying that out and does similar functionality but not the fret board feature.

quote:
Originally posted by skip77

www.musicnotes.com
Click Get Software tab at upper left under Piano/Guitar. Download Guitar Guru and the Music Notes Player - both free. MusicNotes.com sells digital sheet music, most of which is printable as a hard copy with guitar tab plus a digital file (not all but most) that plays in the software. It's insane and cool and very helpful to learn a song on guitar. You can follow the notes and see them on the fretboard, you can slow it down etc... it's amazing.

Washburn HOB
Carlo Robelli Mini-6
Gitano All-Maple Jumbo Cutaway
All Beaters - All Fantastic!
www.mytowntennis.com/guitar.htm

Accoustic is Pure - Electric is 4 Sissies

digitalman,

I have both of these ... I think they are somewhat different animals that share some features. The musicnotes player is really cool, and from what I have seen very helpful, but geared towards downloading the sheetmusic you buy.  

Guitar pro has similar functions (I just realized the other day that you CAN pull up a guitar fretboard on this too, you can slow it down, change instruments, etc.) for G.P. files. It has a lot of other features though.  I downloaded the manual, if I remember correctly, it is 90 pages.  It would be very helpful for someone composing, or arranging.  You plug in your notes, it gives you tab, and traditional notation, you can play it back with nearly any instrument you want, add a second track such as a bass line, vary speed, etc. I think it is more of a musician's tool, than just a player.  

I tried the demo for GP5 like you, then I purchased it, as it seemed like a great tool, and Robert @ Dolphinstreet.com (free lessons) indicated that he will now be using G.P. for all new lessons.  It seems well worth the $, even though I am not at a stage to use many of that capabilities.  

If you are interested in downloading music that is intended for the Music Notes player, then by all means try it.  It's free, and cool.

I found it helpful to have both.  Enjoy! [8D]
                                             Chris

Chris

Music is the only language in which you cannot say a mean or sarcastic thing.
(quote by John Erskine)
Chris

Music is the only language in which you cannot say a mean or sarcastic thing.
(quote by John Erskine)

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind - Dr. Suess