Username: Password:

Author Topic: Humidifier  (Read 5350 times)

Offline vermonter16

• View Profile
Humidifier
« on: December 08, 2007, 09:54:10 AM »
Ok - guys - I haven't picked up my husband's future new guitar but I will next weekend or the weekend after...  I'm so excited I can't stand it!!!  Now - I've heard about humidifiers and stuff for guitars - should I get one...  And if so, what should I get?  This is something else I know nothing about...  I just hope that my husband is as excited as I am about his guitar...  Oh, that's right - if he's not, I'll just keep it :)  

Right now I'm getting some of my mom's old music books for piano that I had started learning on many, many years ago before they had to sell the piano...  I figure if I can just get back into that and learn then I'll be able to do better with the guitar....

Offline RGG Music

• View Profile
    • http://www.RGGmusic.com
Humidifier
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2007, 12:40:57 PM »
Yes, you should get one.  Heating systems make the air extremely dry and can cause some mild to terrible problems.  A simple $10 Planet Waves humidifier can save you from all of that.

Offline 1 Cal

• View Profile
Humidifier
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2007, 02:23:42 PM »
vermonter16
<edit>
What Dave said above... and additionally
</edit>

You'll find good info about humidity and guitars here... and here's some info on using a guitar humidifier.

Also... if you do a search for humidity you'll find about a years worth of solid reading (this forum is certainly where I learned about it thanks to Dreadman et al)! [;)]
« Last Edit: December 08, 2007, 03:05:59 PM by 1 Cal »
Cal___________
Washburn D13S
Washburn R308S

Offline spark

• View Profile
Humidifier
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2007, 12:30:08 AM »
Buy a soundhole humidifier like Dave said above.  I have a planet waves one that cost me 8 bucks.  I live in dry MN though and i also have home-made humidifiers.  These are simple sponges soaked in water that i put in mini tupperware with hole poked in the lids.  I keep one of those in the case along with the humidifier and does wonders.  Also, if you live in a dry region, you might want to wipe down the fingerboard with a cloth soaked in lemon juice everytime you change the strings.  Wood requires a lot of attention.

Offline Dreadman

• View Profile
    • G-Tech Guitar Works
Humidifier
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2007, 06:22:52 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by spark

you might want to wipe down the fingerboard with a cloth soaked in lemon juice everytime you change the strings.

Lemon oil. Lemon juice is very acidic and could damage the wood.

Dreadman
my guitars
Dreadman

The easiest way to make people believe you are a good man is to be a good man.

Offline vermonter16

• View Profile
Humidifier
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2007, 07:04:58 AM »
Thanks guys!  Just as I was trying to finish up the message above my husband walks in and I'm like...close call.  Ok - a sound hole humidifier, I will check it out.  Yeah - our house is dry because of our heat pump in the winter time.  Can't wait to get to Vermont - we'll have nice radiant heat....so much better...

Offline vermonter16

• View Profile
Humidifier
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2007, 12:17:37 PM »
Don't worry....no lemon juice - lemon oil :) and I have lots of that because I use it on all of our furniture, etc. at home.  Anybody have any other recommendations?  

I'm assuming the music store should sell some kind of humidifier...

Offline vermonter16

• View Profile
Humidifier
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2007, 01:09:20 PM »
Anybody know anything about these?

http://oasishumidifiers.com/case.html
http://oasishumidifiers.com/original.html
http://oasishumidifiers.com/plus.html

(the humidity in most of our house is around 20 - 25%)

Offline Dreadman

• View Profile
    • G-Tech Guitar Works
Humidifier
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2007, 01:37:20 PM »
20%-25% RH is dangerously low for any extended period of time. The wood will shrink and there will be potential for warping and cracking. 40%-60% is ideal.

Any humidifier will work but you need a digital hygrometer (inexpensive humidity measuring device). Make sure it's digital (more accurate and doesn't require calibration). The three approaches toward humidifying a guitar are:

1.) A soundhole humidifier that covers the soundhole (like a Dampit). This just humidifies the guitars body (where it's needed most). The guitar doesn't have to be in the case.

2.) A case humidifier (like Planet Waves & Oasis) humidifies the whole guitar but the guitar has to be in a case to hold the humid atmosphere.

3.) Humidify the whole house (or the whole guitar room) with an electric humidifier. More expensive but the guitar can be left out all the time.

Dreadman
my guitars
Dreadman

The easiest way to make people believe you are a good man is to be a good man.

Offline vermonter16

• View Profile
Humidifier
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2007, 08:14:29 PM »
Thanks...  I'm weighing the pros and cons....how difficult should it be to figure out a humidifier...well - I think I make it difficult :)

We actually have a humidifier in one of the bedrooms but I'm not sure that would work where he is going to store it and I don't want to be necessarily bogged down with having to remember to fill it.

I know that when he is not playing it he will be keeping it in the case at least for the time being.  So I guess a case humidifier would be the way to go?  That's what I'm thinking...  If he cleans up his nice room that he keeps his nice things in then maybe he will get a guitar stand but right now - ain't happenin' :)

Offline YerDugliness

• Pearl, TX jams at: www.pearlbluegrass.com/
    • View Profile
Humidifier
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2007, 09:08:31 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by vermonter16

Thanks...  I'm weighing the pros and cons....how difficult should it be to figure out a humidifier...well - I think I make it difficult :)

If he cleans up his nice room that he keeps his nice things in then maybe he will get a guitar stand but right now - ain't happenin' :)

Gotcha, Vermonter!!  When you were just getting acquainted with us, we never did mention that we take twisted pleasures in making the things that seem like they should be so simple into something incredibly difficult, did we?  Well, we can, and do, and have, and will, and.................

Oh, yeah--about those nice rooms, we're just bigger boys, and if you have kids you probably know how messy a male adolescent can keep his room and still manage not to catch some horrid disease.  Yeah, you're right, we don't change..........

At the risk of posting an incredibly long reply, well, all I can say is Somebody STOP Me!:

Why do boys need parents?
1.) A king size waterbed holds enough water to fill a 2000 sq. ft. house 4 inches deep.
2.) If you spray hair spray on dust bunnies and run over them with roller blades, they can ignite.
3.) A 3-year old Boy's voice is louder than 200 adults in a crowded restaurant.
4.) If you hook a dog leash over a ceiling fan, the motor is not strong enough to rotate a 42 pound Boy wearing Batman underwear and a Superman cape.  It is strong enough, however, if tied to a paint can, to spread paint on all four walls of a 20x20 ft. room.
5.) You should not throw baseballs up when the ceiling fan is on. When using a ceiling fan as a bat, you have to throw the ball up a few times before you get a hit. A ceiling fan can hit a baseball a long way.
6.) The glass in windows (even double-pane) doesn't stop a baseball hit by a ceiling fan.
7.) When you hear the toilet flush and the words uh oh, it's already too late.
8.) Brake fluid mixed with Clorox makes smoke, and lots of it.
9.) A six-year old Boy can start a fire with a flint rock even though a 36-year old Man says they can only do it in the movies.
10.) The fire department in Austin , TX has a 5-minute response time.
11.) Certain Lego's will pass through the digestive tract of a 4-year old Boy.
12.) Play dough and microwave should not be used in the same sentence.
13.) Super glue is forever.
14.) No matter how much Jell-O you put in a swimming pool you still can't walk on water.
15.) Pool filters do not like Jell-O.
16.) VCR's do not eject PB & J sandwiches even though TV commercials show they do.
17.) Garbage bags do not make good parachutes, nor do umbrellas.
18.) Marbles in gas tanks make lots of noise when driving.
19.) You probably DO NOT want to know what that odor is.
20.) Always look in the oven before you turn it on; plastic toys do not like ovens.
21.) The spin cycle on the washing machine does not make earthworms dizzy.
22.) It will, however, make cats dizzy.
23.) Cats throw up twice their body weight when dizzy.
24.) 80% of Women will pass this on to almost all of their friends, with or without kids.
25.) 80% of Men who read this will try mixing the Clorox and brake fluid.

You'll never go wrong with the one you've chosen [:D] !

Dugly [}:)]

YerDugliness, Esq./Post No Bills
Lifelong Audiophile
Guitar Playin' FOOL
Ready to retire and age disgracefully!!!

« Last Edit: December 10, 2007, 09:16:08 PM by YerDugliness »
YerDugliness,Esq./Post No Bills
Guitar Playin' FOOL, attempting to age disgracefully!
Washburns:WD32SW,D61SW,D62SW,C124SWK,
WMJ21S(2),WGO26SCE,WSJ60SKELITE,WG26S (2).
Other fine acoustics:Breedlove custom shop 000,Hippner #506 Hauser,Takamini 2005 LTD,Epi Masterbilt AJ500RC

Offline vermonter16

• View Profile
Humidifier
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2007, 11:49:22 AM »
Ok - so I picked up the guitar (Alvarez MD95) today for my husband and it is just beautiful!!!  The owner played it for me some more at the store....man, how nice!  So I think the humidifier might be at my parent's house right now so should I wait to wrap this thing and put the humidifier in it?  Or do you think it will withstand a week at about 26% humidity?  I've got to do it this afternoon before he gets home.  I don't want to kill the guitar before he gets it but I know the humidifier won't last that long and will wear out of it's humidity in a few days since I'll be filling it the first time....

Offline vermonter16

• View Profile
Humidifier
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2007, 12:44:47 PM »
Alright - I just picked up the Oasis humidifier I ordered and they sent me the wrong one.  I wanted the case humidifier - not the one that went in the strings.  But - I guess I'll have to keep this one, I mean it is still decent.  Anyone have any preference one way or another....I was so excited and now I'm just aggravated....ergh...

Offline RGG Music

• View Profile
Humidifier
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2007, 12:46:19 PM »
Vermonter,  I'm not sure why you think your house's RH is at 26%?  That's not only dangerous for a guitar, but it's below the comfort zone for normal human life.  I think your skin would start flaking off at about 26!

You can't solve the problem until you know what the problem is, so you really should buy a hygrometer and then take it from there.  (any music store or even Radio Shack sells them).  

In my experience, pumping humidity into a room is a relentless and difficult job, but it's what I have to do.  Humidifying a guitar in a case is a whole lot easier.

Offline RGG Music

• View Profile
Humidifier
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2007, 12:48:22 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by vermonter16

Alright - I just picked up the Oasis humidifier I ordered and they sent me the wrong one.  I wanted the case humidifier - not the one that went in the strings.  But - I guess I'll have to keep this one, I mean it is still decent.  Anyone have any preference one way or another....I was so excited and now I'm just aggravated....ergh...

Relax, that'll work just fine!