Username: Password:

Author Topic: Wasburn New Buy D10S  (Read 13688 times)

Offline vermonter16

• View Profile
Wasburn New Buy D10S
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2007, 07:07:22 PM »
Hi - Welcome to the forum!  I can't help you much as I don't even have a guitar but these folks here are the best!!!  If I get into guitar - I'm pretty sure I'm going with the D10 as so many on here recommend it.  As far as changing the strings on the guitar - I recently purchased one for my husband and that is exactly what the owner of the shop did.  In fact, he was in the middle of changing them when I arrived.

Offline InsanityReigns

• View Profile
Wasburn New Buy D10S
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2007, 07:44:41 PM »
Hey guys, sorry I have been on in a while. I really appreciate all your advice. I'm in a kinda sticky situation. If you remeber that friend of mine I mentioned who was having me look at Takamine's. Well I was sold on the Takamine and I had planned on going to his store over the weekend to look a few over and finally purchase a nice one within my price range. Well, before I got around to driving to his store, which by the way is over an hour from where I live, I called him to confirm my appointment. Apparently he has sold all of his Takamine's in my price range and is know offering me a Dean guitar. Now, nothing against Dean cause I've never played one let alone heard of Dean, which isn't really saying much, but I don't want to drive all that way for a guitar I know nothing about. I was hoping some of you guys might know something about Dean guitars cause my friend says their infinitely better than the Washburn, although I'm very partial to the Washburn. So, I'd really appreciate your guys help and advice on this one. Thanks again for all your help.

Offline strumsalot

• View Profile
    • http://mycherishedmoments.com
Wasburn New Buy D10S
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2007, 09:40:03 PM »
What model was the Dean and how much?

Offline InsanityReigns

• View Profile
Wasburn New Buy D10S
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2007, 07:06:58 AM »
He didn't give me a model number over the phone, but considering my price range it's probably the AK48 or something like that.

Offline strumsalot

• View Profile
Wasburn New Buy D10S
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2007, 10:03:26 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by InsanityReigns

He didn't give me a model number over the phone, but considering my price range it's probably the AK48 or something like that.

If it's the AK48, I would definately go with the D10S. The D10S has a solid spruce top and will sound better as it ages and opens up, the AK48 is an all-laminate guit. I don't think I would drive an hour to play an all-lam guit, but that's just me. However, I have a D13 that's an all-laminate and it sounds awesome, just because it's an all-laminate doesn't mean it's a bad guit.

Offline YerDugliness

• Pearl, TX jams at: www.pearlbluegrass.com/
    • View Profile
Wasburn New Buy D10S
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2007, 10:12:47 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by strumsalot

However, I have a D13 that's an all-laminate and it sounds awesome, just because it's an all-laminate doesn't mean it's a bad guit.
Chad

I couldn't agree more, Chad!  I have an Epi AJ10, an all laminate jumbo I bought to take camping with me.  Drop a piece of firewood on it?  OK, no prob--no solid wood top to split, etc.  Imagine my surprise when I tuned it up, played it, and found it to sound quite good.  What a pleasant surprise [;)] .

I agree with you regarding the D10S--we both know how those played by Shiner and Pappy sound and IMHO you wouldn't be able to buy a better sounding beginner guitar for even more $$.  Add to that the way the solid wood top responds to upgrades like a bone saddle, and you might just have a lifetime guitar in your hands [:D] !

Dugly [8D]

YerDugliness, Esq./Post No Bills
Lifelong Audiophile
Guitar Playin' FOOL
Ready to retire and age disgracefully!!!

The crew:
Washburn WD32SW and WD32S, WD61SW project guitar
Epiphone AJ-10 (campfire guitar!!)
Yamaha G231-II and G60A Classical guitars
A Hohner classical I left at a vacation home in SW KS.
Epiphone Dot '63 ES335  Repop, Epiphone Les Paul Special (?)
Ibanez RX20
A cheap Circle K banjo I play when feelin' funky
YerDugliness,Esq./Post No Bills
Guitar Playin' FOOL, attempting to age disgracefully!
Washburns:WD32SW,D61SW,D62SW,C124SWK,
WMJ21S(2),WGO26SCE,WSJ60SKELITE,WG26S (2).
Other fine acoustics:Breedlove custom shop 000,Hippner #506 Hauser,Takamini 2005 LTD,Epi Masterbilt AJ500RC

Offline InsanityReigns

• View Profile
Wasburn New Buy D10S
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2007, 05:02:22 PM »
Just a quick question. I'm going to the guitar store tomorrow to hopefully buy a guitar, but I keep hearing about getting your guitar set-up before you purchase. I'm just wondering what exactly does that entail? Is it just getting the strings changed or is there more to it? Also how much can I expect to pay to get the guitar completely set up? Thanks again guys.

Offline YerDugliness

• Pearl, TX jams at: www.pearlbluegrass.com/
    • View Profile
Wasburn New Buy D10S
« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2007, 08:54:27 PM »
quote:

Just a quick question. I'm going to the guitar store tomorrow to hopefully buy a guitar, but I keep hearing about getting your guitar set-up before you purchase. I'm just wondering what exactly does that entail? Is it just getting the strings changed or is there more to it? Also how much can I expect to pay to get the guitar completely set up? Thanks again guys.

IR, a setup is perhaps the most valuable extra you can get for your guitar, particularly if you are a beginner.  It improves playability and tone and involves a few procedures.

The first procedure is to adjust the neck to lower the action.  Now, this cannot correct for a saddle that is too high (the saddle is that piece of material the strings pass over at the bottom of the guitar), but if the saddle is at the correct height it can make a huge difference.  If the saddle is too high, it's a pretty simple and quick procedure to fix it, the tech should remove it and sand a bit off the bottom.  The intent here is to get the strings as close to the neck of the guitar as possible to make it easier to fret the strings, and yet not get it so low that the strings buzz when you press them onto the fingerboard.  All this sounds fairly involved, but on an acoustic guitar it isn't.

The second is to check the guitar for intonation, which is the guitar's ability to stay in tune as you press the strings at various points up and down the neck.  Now, that's a very complicated issue for an acoustic guitar, b/c the saddle is not usually adjustable to much of a degree.  Many guitars, some Washburns included, have what is called a compensated saddle, in which the actual length of the string is ever so slightly affected by grinding the top of the saddle to adjust the point at which the string becomes free to vibrate.  This is about all that can be done for an acoustic guitar without getting into some pretty serious work and that more serious work isn't usually covered by a setup.

The third part of a setup is usually installing a new set of strings.  On a new guitar, this can be a pretty important piece of business, as the factory strings are usually chosen by bean counters and not musicians, and as such they are not the greatest of quality.

As for cost, I've paid in the $30 to $40 range, but IMHO when you negotiate the purchase of the guitar you SHOULD be able to get a decent guitar shop to do the setup for free in order to get your business.  If they want to charge you, tell them your friends on the Washburn forum recommend you take your business to a dealer who is actually interested in your satisfaction [:0] .  There is a pretty good chance they will charge you for the strings, but that is a pretty minimal investment if they will do the setup for free.

Of course, a setup also includes a general inspection of the guitar, to see if there are loose tuning pegs, etc.  Many music stores, particularly the ones that deal more with high school band and orchestra instruments than guitars, will expect you to just buy a guitar in a box.  If you do so, you'll not get the benefit on a good setup, so I'd negotiate for one in the discussions before you plop down your hard earned money.  It might delay the delivery by a day or so, as the store tech will probably have things on the bench before it, but the wait will be worth it in improved tone and playability.

If the store doesn't have a tech, I'd find a store that does if at all possible.  You're looking for a place that wants your return business here, and in order to get that they ought to want to make you happy, and part of that will very likely involve service at some point.  If they do treat you right, support them by buying things like strings, straps, sheet music/books, etc. in their store--in the end the business relationship you build with the store may be the most valuable accessory you can obtain.

Good luck on your shopping trip--let us know how it turns out, OK?

Dugly [8D]

YerDugliness, Esq./Post No Bills
Lifelong Audiophile
Guitar Playin' FOOL
Ready to retire and age disgracefully!!!

The crew:
Washburn WD32SW and WD32S, WD61SW project guitar
Epiphone AJ-10 (campfire guitar!!)
Yamaha G231-II and G60A Classical guitars
A Hohner classical I left at a vacation home in SW KS.
Epiphone Dot '63 ES335  Repop, Epiphone Les Paul Special (?)
Ibanez RX20
A cheap Circle K banjo I play when feelin' funky
YerDugliness,Esq./Post No Bills
Guitar Playin' FOOL, attempting to age disgracefully!
Washburns:WD32SW,D61SW,D62SW,C124SWK,
WMJ21S(2),WGO26SCE,WSJ60SKELITE,WG26S (2).
Other fine acoustics:Breedlove custom shop 000,Hippner #506 Hauser,Takamini 2005 LTD,Epi Masterbilt AJ500RC

Offline InsanityReigns

• View Profile
Wasburn New Buy D10S
« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2007, 09:03:27 PM »
Thanks for the tips Dugly. I'll keep them in mind when I go shopping. Just one more question especially for strumsalot, you mentioned you own both Takamine and Washburn guitars. The store I'm going to carries both and I plan on trying a few from both brands. When it comes down to it, if I don't find a standout guitar between the two, would you recommend going with the Takamine or the Washburn?

Offline strumsalot

• View Profile
Wasburn New Buy D10S
« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2007, 10:24:14 PM »
quote:

Just one more question especially for strumsalot, you mentioned you own both Takamine and Washburn guitars. The store I'm going to carries both and I plan on trying a few from both brands. When it comes down to it, if I don't find a standout guitar between the two, would you recommend going with the Takamine or the Washburn?

Just go with the one that sounds the best in your price range. Only you have to be happy with the sound. Don't worry about makes or brands.

The thing that turns me off the worst is when a sales person puts another make down, or compares it to another that's nowhere close to being comparable. Just the other day I was at the music store looking at an uke for my niece's Christmas present. I heard the sales person tell a lady, who was looking at a Stagg as a starter guitar for her young son, Well it's no $2000 Taylor.[V]

That being said, there are 5 Washburns in the house and only one Takamine. My Tak is an EG540SC, solid top, laminated? maybe nato? sides and back, Korean made. I think that now all the cheaper Taks are coming from China.

I really think the D10S will give you the most bang for the buck. You can get one with a case for around $260 online, might pay a little more at a local store. Shiner's and Pappy's sound awesome and play so smooth.[:)]

Check out his link.
http://www.washburn.com/about/reviews/reviews/SmartMoneyD10S.pdf

Offline InsanityReigns

• View Profile
Wasburn New Buy D10S
« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2007, 07:10:57 AM »
Thanks for the link Strumsalot. Wow, I didn't even know Jeff Daniels played. I'm going to try and get the store to hopefully give me a deal if I buy the guitar with a case. The guitar costs $229 and they charge $60 for a hardshell case. I'm hoping to get that price lowered just a little. Especially since I can find the guitar cheaper online maybe they'll be willing to match the price.

Offline strumsalot

• View Profile
Wasburn New Buy D10S
« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2007, 12:30:30 PM »
quote:

I'm going to try and get the store to hopefully give me a deal if I buy the guitar with a case. The guitar costs $229 and they charge $60 for a hardshell case. I'm hoping to get that price lowered just a little. Especially since I can find the guitar cheaper online maybe they'll be willing to match the price.

...or pay the $289 and see if they can do a setup for free, maybe throw in some free strings. Local guit shops will usually deal with you.

Offline InsanityReigns

• View Profile
Wasburn New Buy D10S
« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2008, 06:19:36 PM »
Hey guys, I haven't been on in a while. I'm still working on getting a guitar and now I'm dead set on the Washburn. Unfortunately all the guitar stores in my are area are sold out. I'm itching to get my hands on a guitar and I'm almost willing to buy something from Walmart just so I can start practicing. Hopefully I can hold out and get one in the next few weeks.

Offline allsrch

• View Profile
Wasburn New Buy D10S
« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2008, 06:42:22 PM »
Wait for the D10, or other quality brand. Do not purchase the WalMart crap. Wasted money . I own the D10 and it would serve you very well over the short and long term.
Buy quality! Be patient!

rich
Times change' the song doesn't..the song stays the same Mark Farner-GFR
rich
1890's Washburn Parlor
D10SDL
WD18 SW

Offline InsanityReigns

• View Profile
Wasburn New Buy D10S
« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2008, 07:55:05 PM »
Thanks for the encouragement allsrch. I'll try to be patient. I really want to buy from a guitar store so I can play the guitar before I purchase. I know Walmart guitars are junk so I'll keep waiting.