Username: Password:

Author Topic: 125th Anniversary Parlor...PICS ADDED!!!  (Read 95936 times)

Offline onewilyfool

• View Profile
125th Anniversary Parlor...PICS ADDED!!!
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2007, 12:39:51 PM »
thanks for the well wishes.....amazingly, this little guitar has really opened up since I have been playing it til my fingers bleed (lol) I am just constantly surprised by this guitar. A luthier friend of mine says that a lot of the old Washburns had that pronounced V neck and it wasn't just tradition or style. The V actually added more mass to the neck which adds to the sound quality. I'm not sure if this is true for my guitar, but I am trying to figure out why it sounds so loud, so good, and sustains for such a long time. Don't get me wrong...I'm NOT complaining....lol....keep on pluckin' guys and gals......wily

P.S. One thing I forgot to add, which is not apparent on the pics, the back is quite curved front to back AND side to side, which may be a sound factor, nice touch.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2007, 12:46:04 PM by onewilyfool »

Offline vheissu

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2007, 12:54:34 PM »
She's beautiful man.

Ben

Offline onewilyfool

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2007, 01:11:20 PM »
vheissu.....thanks. Who thought beat-up could mean beautiful, but I know what you mean. And I am worry free about dings and scratches. My other new Washburn, the R308S, is in showroom condition, only because I tend to baby my guitars and am VERY careful handling them (especially in and out of the cases), but there is the worry factor of when the first ding will be christened.....lol......This one really looks old. I don't know if you can see it, but on the bottom pic you can see some minor pick scratches around the sound hole, they thought of everything, and you can see some wear on the decorative binding top and bottom of the sound hole, as though the trim was worn away with time and play. Makes me laugh, it is hokey, but someone put the time in to make this look authentically old. And guess what....no worry factor....lol....by the way, this guitar has really opened up. When I first got it, it was a little raw, maybe a little harsh, but has mellowed in with the strings, and is sounding GREAT!!!

Offline onewilyfool

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2008, 11:47:06 AM »
Luv.....I know what you mean. Same with my cars. I can't stand that wait for the first scratch. I have found that most of my scratches on my guitar come from my own fingernails on my picking hand. ONCE, I had the guitar case top come down on the front of the guitar!!!!!! That will NEVER happen again. I am very careful on that front. When I first started playing, I often got buckle rash on the back, but that never happens now. Live and learn.....On this little washburn, they didn't do the buckle rash thing on the back, but did scuff up the sound hole to look like pick scratches.....saved me some time....lol.....Have a good one...

Offline onewilyfool

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2008, 07:13:05 PM »
luvzmocha:Now that is a V neck. Looks like it could split wood.

Hey Luvz.....it has taken a little to get used the to old V neck, but now it is like I've always been playing it. It DOES look like it could split wood, howeve I am hoping it doen't split my hand!!!! In the olden days I guess there were no threaded, reinforced necks on guitars, so that V added some resistance to the neck bending upwards....AND a little mass to help with sound quality. All in all, I am pleased with the neck. Note: the neck is also a little distressed to look old, nothing that makes it feel funny, but aged nonetheless. I am very pleased, I hope you get to try one, most local dealers get one or two sent to them.....let me know what you think....

Offline bazookajoe

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2008, 01:06:20 PM »
I am now the proud owner of R316SWKK #133

Its the Trembesi Back and Sides, was advertised as KOA.
I must admit that this was a ebay purchase based on the looks and the posts in this thread, done in a heavy GAS attack and I really feared that it might be a beautiful wallhanger, but i am glad to report that i like it very much. It has a loud, woody, singing sound. Its a pity that this is a limited edition because i think its a market gap instrument. If i lost it i would not know how to replace it - not even where to start too look.
Compared to previous owned guitars i like it much better than a Larrivee Parlor (not even close) i once owned. I also just played it side by side with my 1930s All Mahogany Stromberg-Voisinet Parlor and it might even replace that - really has a similar charakter.

Btw. i think the neck profile is a very modern slim one with only a hint of a v-shape. At least compared to my Stromberg Voisinet and other old Parlors i have seen which have really triangular baseball bat size necks.

The bad part is that i paid a rather high price compared to what they sell for in the USA - since its limited i had no choice of dealers. Some nitpicking: I love the artificial aged look, its nicely done - on the top it looks like it has been applied to the top rather than the wood has been tinted. There are a few areas near the fretboard and soundhole where they applied it a bit scruffy and you can see very light wood underneath - so contrary to onewilyfool who said that he doesnt have to worry about making a scratch in fact I DO because there will be light, new bright wood visible.

A look inside the body showed a few not so nice things: on some spaces the kerfed lining which connects the sides to body and top looks like it isnt perfectly fitted, theres some space between it and the sides, definitely the reinforcement strips on the sides dont fit perfectly, there is a visible space between them and the sides, and finally when i looked into the soundhole while holding the guitar to the window i could see light shine between back and sides - i dont have another guitar with plastic binding so i couldnt check but i dont think that should be like that (its only on some spaces).
Theres also a few other minor traces of sloppy workmanship - i hope the things i described are only minor and wont lead to structural problems in the future.

I would love to add a soundfile but i am not sure if my crappy playing (just restarting to play after a almost 20 year break) and the quality of the recoring i could do would show how the guitar actually sounds. If you are interested revisit this thread, if i can manage to record something i like i will upload it to soundclick.

« Last Edit: January 08, 2008, 01:23:12 PM by bazookajoe »

Offline onewilyfool

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2008, 01:57:16 PM »
Hey Bazookajoe......congradulations!!!! That looks like a beautiful example..I can see why they liken it to Koa....nice grain. I am still thrilled with mine. I have finally been able to identify the sound of my guitar (which indeed does have Rosewood b&s) the sound is very piano like. Singing as you said. Mine has tones of overtones which really add to this sound. For me, it is PERFECT for the style of playing I do....blues, fingerstyle, etc. Hard strumming on this little singer seems to overpower it. But that is not how i play....so all the better for me. Looking at the build quality of mine....I don't seem to have too many issues.....My old Larrivee parlor was PERFECT in the fit and finish department, but this one beats it down, sound wise. I don't know how it is in Europe, but here we get a lifetime warranty with the guitar. So hopefully any repairs due to bad workmanship will be done under warranty. Mine just 'feels' solid. If I tap it, no loose braces, etc. So good luck with yours. I also am playing after a 10 year break, so after one year, my fingers are back in shape, and I think you will find that this is NOT a wall hanger. I have been playing it over some of my very, very nice guitars, and loving it. Hope you do too!!!

Offline onewilyfool

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2008, 02:12:39 PM »
Hey Bazookajoe....don't know about the finish and sratches, but if you do get one that goes through to the wood, a little shoepolish in the blemish should do the job....Have fun with your...

Offline kyokuhon

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2008, 02:27:11 PM »
Hi, guys,
I'm new to this forum, and in fact signed on just to get info about these guitars.  Like so many others, I'm watching them on ebay, and really interested.  What I'm wondering, because of what I'd like to play on it, is whether it's a reproduction internally as well as externally (Bazookajoe's comments aren't heartening).  All I see on the websites listed is that the have the look and feel of the original.  I want to use it to play the late 19th. c. American parlor guitar stuff.  At the time, before about 1910 or so, they apparently used gut strings on these.  Has anyone put nylon or gut on one to see how it sounds?  Does anyone know if the soundboard bracing has been modified to take modern steel strings?  Any help, info, or opinions would be greatly appreciated.
Best to all, and keep playing!
K.

Offline onewilyfool

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2008, 06:09:06 PM »
Hi and welcome to the forum. If you look at pics I posted, you can see that one of my Washburn Parlors is actually 100 or so years old, and was originally a gut string, ladder braced parlor. I have it strung with Martin silk and silver folk strings which give it less stress on the neck. Also my old washburn has had the bridge changed to a compensated bridge, and has had the frets redone. I actually like all the changes. The fret board is flat like a classic guitar, which is a little strange for me, but I got used to it. So the new guitar is NOT a feature for feature historic reproduction, but a nod to that era, aged for effect. I play blues and fingerstyle, so this guitar is perfect for me.....and sounds fantastic!!!! Great playability, piano like ringing and sound.....perfect for the old style playing....Hope this helps....

Offline bazookajoe

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2008, 07:45:07 AM »
hi,
i mentioned a few traces of not so clean workmanship but i also said that it is a very cool, maybe the best guitar of that kind i ever owned. its perfect for 1930s countryblues and ragtime or similar styles. i highly doubt that it will sound any good with gut strings because without any doubt the bracing is made to stand the common  gauges of acoustic guitar strings. Its not a faithful reproduction of those light built 1930s guitars. (i am not an expert but i do own a 1930s stromberg voisinet parlor and have owned a 1920s Gibson L1).

Offline kyokuhon

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2008, 01:05:10 PM »
Hi, all,
Yes, thanks for the information and advice, bazookajoe, and I meant that your comments were disheartening only in so much as they indicated that it probably wasn't what I had been hoping, i.e. a historical copy, not that I thought it wouldn't be a great instrument.  It certainly sounds like folks are happy with them!  I guess I'll have to decide if it's important enough for me to shell out for an accurate copy or an antique.  Thanks again, and keep playing.
K.

Offline onewilyfool

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2008, 10:56:14 AM »
Kyokuhon......I see on EBAY that there is one of these guitars for $649 shipping included? If that one sounds anything like mine, that is a deal. (although I don't really enjoy buying on EBAY....it might be worth a try)

Offline kyokuhon

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2008, 11:44:57 AM »
Hi, onewily and all,
Yes, you did see some at that price, though they went pretty fast, though they may have relisted.  There were still 3 at $719 delivered yesterday.  I haven't checked today.  Still undecided whether to get one for my interests.
Best, and keep playing,
K.

Offline onewilyfool

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2008, 01:20:04 PM »
Hi Kyokuhon......I went on line to see the guitars you are looking at......Note there are still two at $649 with free shipping. Some of these are butt-ugly from the photos. Perhaps ask for some higher quality photos before buying. Looks like some of them are survivors from a flood. But the aged, distressed look is in the eye of the beholder, I guess.....good luck on your decision. Hopefully there is a washburn store near you where you can try one out, I am very pleased with the sound, and that is what is all about for me.....