Username: Password:

Author Topic: Model # D10N  (Read 48531 times)

Offline countrylady

• View Profile
Model # D10N
« on: January 15, 2008, 01:03:18 PM »
Hi,

I'm a newby looking for a good quality guitar at a price I can afford. I have been impressed with what I read about Washburn guitars and have been looking on eBay and Craig's list. I'm surprised at how low some of the prices are on ebay.Some under $100.

The D10N is on Craig's list, and is listed for $225. Like new.

I am a small woman, and am currently taking lessons on a borrowed classical guitar. The neck seems to wide for my small hands and I was wondering if it's reasonable to be able to find a good guitar that is not so difficult for me to handle. It is hard to find out things like that on the internet..so thought I would ask here.

Any tips on what certain things mean in model #s.. difference in sizes between dreadnaughts and other models would be helpful information.

Thanks.

Offline millenium

• View Profile
Model # D10N
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2008, 01:11:48 PM »
that is obvious that an classical guitar neck is wider then an dreadnaught accoustic guitar. If it is possible for you, go in a local guitar store and try one, you'll see a big difference. Purchasing an washburn for a first guitar is a good move. There is a member on this forum who sale washburn guitar: RGG music (Dave)... you should try to get in touch with him, he could probably help you out !!!
yan
millenium
ANOTHER PROUD MEMBER OF THE MILLENIUM BRIGADE

Offline Pike

• View Profile
Model # D10N
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2008, 01:13:48 PM »
Hi countrylady, for a little more money you could get a D10S, which has a solid top (the D10N does not) and will not only sound better initially, but will also improve over time. Any guitar you purchase will benefit from a professional set up, which will make it easier to play.

ship of fools

Model # D10N
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2008, 02:04:10 PM »
Welcome countrylady, well you have shown good taste by starting off on a Washburn and a D10 is a great guitar to start with, bu5t as Pike mentioned aa D-10S is the better choice and if you find the Dread to big you could always look at the folk size guitars which have a slightly smaller body and as Yan has mentioned we have a fellow here who gives great service and ( if you ask nice ) great deals for forum members RGGMusic.com,he has a good reputation here and else where for his guitars, so welcome aboard and have fun with what ever you decide on.louis[:)]

Millenium Brigade
Rover Brigade
Another WAGJammer
Timbercraft Brigade J52SW

and other great sounding and playing guitars

Offline Dreadman

• View Profile
    • G-Tech Guitar Works
Model # D10N
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2008, 03:32:15 PM »
Another thing to keep in mind is that the D10N hasn't been produced in years. They typically sell used for $100 or less and it would have to be in exceptionally good condition before I'd even pay that. I have both the D10N (with the laminated wood top) and the D10S (with the solid wood top) and the sound is like night and day.

Dreadnaught is the most common steel string guitar size. Jumbo is bigger and folk is smaller. There are other sizes/styles but those are most common. Most (if not all) steel string guitars have thinner necks than classicals. Many young children play dreadnaughts with no trouble so you should be fine with one. Your best bet for sure would be to try several at your local music store. You can get a feel for what you like and buying at a store is a great foundation for a relationship with local experts.

Dreadman
my guitars
Dreadman

The easiest way to make people believe you are a good man is to be a good man.

Offline gregjones

• Perpetual Beginner
    • View Profile
Model # D10N
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2008, 07:32:55 PM »
Since you describe yourself as small, I would suggest that you play a D sized guitar before you by one.  They are big.  Reaching around one might not be comfortable.  The sad part is that over-sized guitars seem to be the norm these days and the pickin's are slim in entry level folk sized guitars.

There would not be any disadvantage with a F10S, unless you are planing to play against a banjo player, and the advantages should far outweigh that single negative.

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got eight strings.

My correct email is gregajones@hotmail.com
If it's got tuners, tits, or tires----it's gonna cost you.

"There are no wrong notes, only advanced harmonies." - Frank Zappa

Offline donny341

• View Profile
Model # D10N
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2008, 08:03:14 PM »
Hello, Countrylady and welcome to the forum. I can understand the need for the narrower neck as well as a shorter scale length. Keep in mind you will have to suffer through the callous building phase when you switch to steel strings. I would definitely recommend going with the smaller Folk guitar style. You will find the comfort of reaching to the next fret much easier, as well as the reach across the strings. By scale length I am referring to the dimension from the NUT (where the strings go over to the pegs) to the SADDLE (where the strings ride on the bridge by the soundhole) Standard is 25.4 or 25.5 inches. a smaller acoustic scale length will be 24 inches. You will find that length much easier to play. I can recommend RGG Music for good advice and good service also. But if he cannot get you a new Folk size guitar, I DO recommend this seller on Ebay. I have bought from him twice and have been quite satisfied. This Folk guitar ad I am posting would do the trick in size for you, plus it is also able to plug in (acoustic/electric) and has a nice cutaway for reaching those lower frets. I has a solid spruce top which is much better than the D10N laminated top, and at about the same price as you mentioned. I would not buy the D10N for over $50.  Good luck in your hunt.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Washburns-New-Washburn-F10SCE-Acoustic-Electric-Guitar_W0QQitemZ130188314992QQihZ003QQcategoryZ33032QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem
Donny

Some Guitars
9 Tweed Straps
72 gold strap buttons with screws
10 Buffalo horn picks
Multitude of various plastic picks
Broken fingernails when used for fingerpicking
Wrist wraps for those arthuritis fretting moments
Preperation H for those long sitting hours playing guitar
42 various sets of strings
Lizard Spit Guitar Polish
3 polish cloths
Pro winder/cutter
2 plastic winders
Steel and nylon string clippings (I should clean up a bit)
4 wall mount hooks
One bile slice remover tool (for Dreadman)
ton of yuks and smiley faces here
One set beatles albums on Apple label
Various Beatles and Wings 45's
Two Turtle Doves
A Partridge in a Pear Tree

Life is what happens while your busy making other plans

Offline Pike

• View Profile
Model # D10N
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2008, 12:18:34 AM »
Folk guitars are easy to handle, but you also give up some sound. My 12 year old grandson has no problem at all playing my dreadnaughts. I'd do like Dreadman says and go out and play a bunch of different ones and compare.

Offline zzzip

• View Profile
Model # D10N
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2008, 12:55:56 AM »
Hey, I'm new to the forum also. I just sold my Washburn D10s to a friend to give to his teenage daughter for Christmas and it was a big hit. Thin neck, easy to play and a SOLID spruce top. Not a problem for any woman or child. As advertised: Best selling guitar for under $500. The D10s is the best beginner guitar and more that I've seen or played, especially for the price. Whatever you decide, buy a SOLID top guitar. Good luck!

Offline countrylady

• View Profile
Model # D10N
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2008, 07:02:57 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by donny341

Hello, Countrylady and welcome to the forum. I can understand the need for the narrower neck as well as a shorter scale length. Keep in mind you will have to suffer through the callous building phase when you switch to steel strings. I would definitely recommend going with the smaller Folk guitar style. snip..

Thanks for all the information. I will check with Dave and also the eBay sale.

Pat

Offline countrylady

• View Profile
Model # D10N
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2008, 07:28:10 PM »
I'd like to thank everyone who replied to my question. Some seemed to wonder if I really needed a smaller guitar. I am 5'2' weigh 105 dripping wet, and am small framed. At my last lesson we had a discussion about hand placement and our instructor (Heidi Muller)  http://heidimuller.com/ i mentioned that often folk players curl their thumb around the neck of the guitar. Heck ..there is no way I could do that!

Offline countrylady

• View Profile
Model # D10N
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2008, 07:34:26 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by millenium

that is obvious that an classical guitar neck is wider then an dreadnaught accoustic guitar. If it is possible for you, go in a local guitar store and try one, you'll see a big difference. Purchasing an washburn for a first guitar is a good move. There is a member on this forum who sale washburn guitar: RGG music (Dave)... you should try to get in touch with him, he could probably help you out !!!

I was hoping I could get enough information to order a guitar on line. I would love to go try some out, but we have to music stores where I live and the nearest would be about 2 or more hours away depending on how much it is snowing out. (Right now it's snowing alot![:)]

Thanks for tipping me off about Dave, I will contact him.

Offline countrylady

• View Profile
Model # D10N
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2008, 07:47:14 PM »
Well, I went to  Dave's website and posted a question about the sizes of the D10S and the F10SE. Hopefully someone will respond fairly soon. I am itching to order my new guitar!

Thanks to all for your help. I'll let you know what happens.

Offline Dreadman

• View Profile
    • G-Tech Guitar Works
Model # D10N
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2008, 08:52:28 PM »
Some folks here are very comfortable recommending RGG Music to newcomers but always fail to mention that it's a one person mail order operation run out of the basement of a near novice in his spare time. If a new player is going to get a recommendation I think they should know exactly what's being recommended. I'd certainly want to know.

Just my two cents.......

Dreadman
my guitars
Dreadman

The easiest way to make people believe you are a good man is to be a good man.

Offline countrylady

• View Profile
Model # D10N
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2008, 09:29:35 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Dreadman

Some folks here are very comfortable recommending RGG Music to newcomers but always fail to mention that it's a one person mail order operation run out of the basement of a near novice in his spare time. If a new player is going to get a recommendation I think they should know exactly what's being recommended. I'd certainly want to know.

Just my two cents.......

Dreadman
my guitars

Thanks for that information. I have also looked at the Washburn folk guitar for sale from an Oklahoma guitar company.They seem to have a good reputation.