Username: Password:

Author Topic: Model # D10N  (Read 48551 times)

Offline RGG Music

• View Profile
    • http://www.RGGmusic.com
Model # D10N
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2008, 10:20:19 PM »
____  is right.  The Oklahoma guy's reputation is stellar. Clearly ____ has your best interest at heart!

____, you might want to know that I'm not a one-man shop anymore and I'm not just working from my home office anymore - not that there's anything wrong with those things.  But what do you call it when you start out small and then your business grows?  Wait.  Why am I asking you?

Thanks for the carefully worded sucker punch but do be more careful.  People might start to think that this is one of your personal attacks.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2008, 12:17:00 AM by RGG Music »

Offline Dreadman

• View Profile
    • G-Tech Guitar Works
Model # D10N
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2008, 10:43:59 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by RGG Music

Dreadman's right.  The Oklahoma guy's reputation is stellar. Clearly Dreadman has your best interest at heart!

Dreadman, you might want to know that I'm not a one-man shop anymore and I'm not just working from my home office anymore - not that there's anything wrong with those things.  But what do you call it when you start out small and then your business grows?  Wait.  Why am I asking you?

Thanks for the carefully worded sucker punch but do be more careful.  People might start to think that this is one of your personal attacks.

Nothing personal at all Dave, just telling a buyer what any careful shopper would want to know - and congrats on the business growth. Where's the store? How many employees? I'm really surprised that you're just mentioning it now. How long ago did these changes occur?

And for the record I find absolutely nothing wrong with a one-man business run from home. In fact you're well aware that I'm one too (although I've never hid it from my customers). It's just that people recommend you like you're a big professional guitar store and that's just not accurate.

Also, maybe you should read posts a little more clearly before jumping down someone's throat. I didn't recommend Oklahoma or anyone else. I also didn't tell anyone not to buy from you.

Any special reason you're posting my real name? You know damn well that I don't publish personal information. Want to remove it or should we play tit for tat? I know as much personal info about you as you do about me.

Hey Ship - that's got to be against the rules. Will you please fix it if Dave doesn't?

Dreadman
my guitars
Dreadman

The easiest way to make people believe you are a good man is to be a good man.

Offline Dreadman

• View Profile
    • G-Tech Guitar Works
Model # D10N
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2008, 10:51:02 PM »
....and ya know what eles is funny Dave - You never have a problem when someone posts an embarrassing truth about another guitar dealer, in fact you often jump in and bash other dealers. What gives you the privledge of being untouchable? Do you own this forum? Are you a paying sponsor?

Dreadman
my guitars
Dreadman

Offline larrylee13

• View Profile
Model # D10N
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2008, 11:38:32 PM »
COUNTRYLADY:

I would also probably suggest a smaller bodied guitar like the F10S. The solid spruce top will improve with age, the the folk-type body will probably be more to your liking...

I have one which I'm considering selling to get another Washburn, 'cause I find the neck too narrow for my somewhat fat fingers!!

Let me know if you might be interested.  It's literally like new. I live in Florida, so could ship...

Larry

Offline RGG Music

• View Profile
Model # D10N
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2008, 11:45:41 PM »
Mr. X, I removed your real name.  I'm not sure why I used it.  Maybe because I'm tired of watching you attack people on the board once a week while hiding behind a code name.  Why not be a man and tell people who you are?  

Mr. X, you said: people recommend you like you're a big professional guitar store and that's just not accurate  How do you define big and professional?

I sold guitars to 3 different continents this month!  That's kind of big.  Customers are happy and prices are good. That's what I do.  It's fun.  It was never intended to be more or less than that.  And since I'm really not driven by profit to the same degree as the stores you shop in, why wouldn't people here want to recommend me?  I sold guitars to 3/4's of the people reading this and some of them got some really nice deals!

Go ahead and be the consumer watchdog if you want, but when you're constantly attacking everybody about everything, you lose a little credibility.  And you know what?  An internet tough guy who hides behind his handle is really not so tough.  It seems kind of cowardly to me.

Offline Dreadman

• View Profile
    • G-Tech Guitar Works
Model # D10N
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2008, 12:44:12 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by RGG Music

Why not be a man and tell people who you are?
Seriously? Someone's not a man unless they post personal info on the internet? Maybe you ought to get some sleep and try assassinating my character when you're more rested. That was weak.

How do you define big and professional?
Anything more than a guy selling guitars out of his basement after work. LOL I think everyone knows what I mean - including you.

I sold guitars to 3 different continents this month!  That's kind of big.  Customers are happy and prices are good. That's what I do.  It's fun.
Cool, I think that's great. (but I personally wouldn't brag about selling three guitars in a month. [;)])

......I'm really not driven by profit to the same degree as the stores you shop in
You have no idea where I shop and I've seen your drive.

why wouldn't people here want to recommend me?
Who said not to recommend you? I sure didn't.

I sold guitars to 3/4's of the people reading this and some of them got some really nice deals!
Only some of them? I guess the rest were like me. Remember you charged me $40 more than the usual selling price for that HB32DM? Since you brought it up, I'm real curious about this forum discount I keep hearing about. Neither you nor anyone who claims to have gotten one has ever said what it was. Exactly what is the deal with that and why didn't it apply to my purchase (and others)?

Go ahead and be the consumer watchdog if you want, but when you're constantly attacking everybody about everything, you lose a little credibility.
Why would a consumer watchdog bother you so much? Most businesses love consumer watchdogs. Keeps the dishonest competition down.

And you know what?  An internet tough guy who hides behind his handle is really not so tough.  It seems kind of cowardly to me.
Are you calling me a coward from 500 miles away? [:D] I'd call that a cowardly personal attack.

Look how much fuss you've made over one simple, honest comment, that wasn't even directed at you. Get some sleep dude.

Dreadman
my guitars
Dreadman

ship of fools

Model # D10N
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2008, 09:29:50 AM »
Countrylady ( love your handle, by the way ) please forget the non-sense, I myself have no problem recommending www.RGGMusic.Com I have had dealings with Dave and found him to be an honest dealer.
Either guitar you look at the D10N or S or the folk size guitars (F10S )that Pike mentioned, they are both very nice guitars and I am sure you will get many years of joy and satisfaction of play time from either one,so I think who ever you buy your guitar from doesn't matter to any of us, and we just want to get you started on some fun playing, so welcome and lets play some music.your friendly moderator.louis

Millenium Brigade
Rover Brigade
Another WAGJammer
Timbercraft Brigade J52SW
D78-SW
and other great sounding and playing guitars
« Last Edit: January 21, 2008, 09:32:04 AM by ship of fools »

Offline countrylady

• View Profile
Model # D10N
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2008, 11:28:54 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by ship of fools

Countrylady ( love your handle, by the way ) please forget the non-sense, I myself have no problem recommending www.RGGMusic.Com I have had dealings with Dave and found him to be an honest dealer.
Either guitar you look at the D10N or S or the folk size guitars (F10S )that Pike mentioned, they are both very nice guitars and I am sure you will get many years of joy and satisfaction of play time from either one,so I think who ever you buy your guitar from doesn't matter to any of us, and we just want to get you started on some fun playing, so welcome and lets play some music.your friendly moderator.louis

Hi Louis,

Thanks for the post. and the welcome.

I am used to seeing disagreements on forums..been on quite a few through the years.. too bad it has to be public instead of taken private...but oh well.

I contacted both Dave and the Oklahoma eBay seller.

Dave was by far the most complete with his answers and if I buy a Washburn I am sure it will be from him.

I was discouraged this am though after reading his last explanation to discover these less expensive Washburn (and I guess other brands that are touted to be USA companies) are actually made in Asia.

I am a stanch made in USA kinda countrygal. Too much outsourcing going on, but that is a political discussion and I won't belabor it here.

Anyway.. is there no reasonably priced acoustic guitar available that has good quality made in the USA or maybe Canada? I didn't really want to pay $800 for a guitar.

Thanks.

Offline Arzy

• View Profile
Model # D10N
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2008, 12:08:48 PM »
countrylady, you ask: Anyway.. is there no reasonably priced acoustic guitar available that has good quality made in the USA or maybe Canada? The Godin/Lasido family of guitars from Canada (including the Seagull, Simon & Patrick, Norman, and Art & Lutherie brands of acoustic guitars) include many affordable models. The Seagulls are the best known in the U.S. but have pretty wide necks at the nut (1.8) except for the Entourage models (1.72), which are also pretty affordable (under $300 retail)  (example).

As for the U.S., Taylor makes a small (15/16 size) dreadnought called the Big Baby that sells for under $500 and would probably fit your size very well, but Taylor moved production of the Baby line from California to Mexico awhile back. There are relatively inexpensive Martins, but they too are moving production of their low-end guitars to Mexico, and their low-end guitars are not what made (or presently make) their reputation.

As some people have noted in this thread, you may want a smaller-bodied guitar (which might be called a folk, OM, 000, grand concert, etc., size). I also should note that dreadnoughts aren't all the exact same size. Some have noticeably deeper bodies than others, and so if you played two different brands, they might feel quite different when you add up body size, neck profile, etc.

Offline RGG Music

• View Profile
Model # D10N
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2008, 12:37:57 PM »
Thanks Country Lady.  I think your political discussion is really one that's worth having. Obviously we can't get into the Presidential race here, but the guitar issue should be safe.

Is anyone else ever troubled about buying Asian imports?  It's unfortunate that the US can't build a decent $500 guitar, but it really looks like we can't.  

If you found two identical guitars; one made in the US goes for $800 and one made in China goes for $200, which would you buy?

Let's look at the D82SW.  This is made in Chicago.  It's a solid spruce/rosewood dreadnought and it lists for $2,399.90.  Compare that to the imported D56SW which lists for $1,449.90.  On paper they're practically identical.  So which one do you buy?  Is there even a difference in sound?

Is it right that our role models are all playing American guitars while most of us average Joes can't afford them?

Arzy,  Just saw your post and I was wondering about the entry level Seagulls.  Are they made in Canada, or are they imports? Just curious.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2008, 12:42:40 PM by RGG Music »

ship of fools

Model # D10N
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2008, 12:50:59 PM »
No worries Countrylady, as for North American well there are a few that are made here in Canada, they were listed by Arzy (big thanks for that Arzy )how ever almost all lower priced guitars are made abroad these days, and you would be surprised how many parts are made in Asia, then assembled in NorthAmerica and called US or Canadian, its a sign of the times, I don't think its so much political as much as to do with trade agreements, they have to find a balance, you'd might be surprised as to how much even our respective goverments buy from the Asia's to achieve this so called balance.Well all thats important to me is that you find something you like and to be honest some of those Asian guitars aren't to bad.louis[;)]

Millenium Brigade
Rover Brigade
Another WAGJammer
D78-SW
« Last Edit: January 21, 2008, 01:09:31 PM by ship of fools »

Offline magoo99

• View Profile
Model # D10N
« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2008, 12:54:04 PM »
I'm loven Seagull Guitars, they are made in Quebec.
I have played a lot of them and love the pick up system that they come with. A band mate has one and it sounds great he paid around $500 for it.
I think ship or yan knows a little about these Guitars maybe they could tell us more.
I found the neck a little wide on the ones I played so maybe they are not for everyone but well worth a look.

Offline Arzy

• View Profile
Model # D10N
« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2008, 01:40:14 PM »
countrylady, the Seagull, etc., guitars I listed are all made in Canada, in towns like LaPatrie. Again, given your body and hand size, if you're interested in the Seagulls I would steer you toward the models with a narrower nuts (the Entourage and Slim models--see http://seagullguitars.com/specs.htm). The regular ones would be too wide for you. And then there are the other Godin brands made in Canada, like Art & Lutherie (they say the neck is 1.75 wide at the nut in that store listing, but actually it should be 1.72--see Art & Lutherie's specs page).

Larrivee is a great Canadian guitar maker, but their least expensive models nowadays are probably around $800 U.S. when bought new.

The depth and shape of a guitar neck matter a lot in determining its feel. Even regarding the width, though, the nut width is just one part of the equation. Some necks are wider at the nut and wider all the way down as well (like Martin OM models and other guitars modeled on them), such that they are, say, 2 1/4 wide at the 12th fret. Others (Seagull, Taylor, etc.), may be wide at the nut but aren't terribly wide at the 12th fret (2 1/8 and so on).

Whatever you get, I agree with the recommendations to get a solid-top guitar. If you want to get a guitar made in North America, watch out for some of the guitars from the Godin lines--they make some models with laminated cherry tops. Get a solid top. At $279 with free shipping, for example (I refer to the one I linked to above--maybe it's cheaper elsewhere), there's no reason not to.

Of course, a solid-top Washburn is also a fine choice. I'm just addressing the made-in-US/Canada-at-a-low-price element of your questions.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2008, 02:09:40 PM by Arzy »

Offline RGG Music

• View Profile
Model # D10N
« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2008, 01:41:58 PM »
Good info, Magoo.  I'm looking at adding Seagulls next; I played phone tag with their US rep all last week (everyone's been at NAMM).  But that's definately something I wanted to verify.  As Arzy mentioned, Seagull opens the door to all the other Godin brands.  

Canadian guitars are ok, aye Louis? :-D

ship of fools

Model # D10N
« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2008, 01:47:48 PM »
You betcha Toaster, they are great.And Arzy what do you think of Simon and Patrick's I believe they make a folk size with a solid top for around $350.00 ( have to check for the model number when I get a chance ).louis
And isn't it funny how I have been buying more Washies, and said good bye to my Larrivee ( she wasn't working out for me )

Millenium Brigade
Rover Brigade
Another WAGJammer
D78-SW