Username: Password:

Author Topic: Washburn Budweiser Bow Tie Info Needed  (Read 3177 times)

Offline gswanson

• View Profile
Washburn Budweiser Bow Tie Info Needed
« on: January 17, 2008, 07:35:21 PM »
I picked up a Washburn Bow Tie Budweiser guitar in its original case.  The guitar is in near mint condition.  My understanding is it has been sitting in its case, unplayed, since 1993 in a garage.  The case is near mint as well.  Serial number is 2052323.  The serial number is on the back of the body on a plate that says Washburn Hand Crafted since 1876.  I believe there are 22 frets.  The bottom of the headstock is also labeled BU-1.  The headstock is also labeled Nothing Beats a Bud and Washburn.  The base of the neck where it meets the body has a small sticker, gold color, with black lettering, BU-1 dot R.  It looks identical to the guitar in this listing / link  http://www.backstageauctions.com/catalog/item.php?prodpa=&unid=5524.  I tried contacting Washburn for help identifying the guitar via the serial number but they said the do not keep the records on the limited edition guitars.  Does anyone have any additional information on this guitar as well as its value.  Thanks   Gary
« Last Edit: January 18, 2008, 01:23:48 PM by gswanson »

Offline gswanson

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2008, 01:28:03 PM »
I have tried finding information on this guitar but have had no luck other then the link in the original post.  How can you tell if this is made in the USA or Korea?  Other then the Washburn folks telling me this is a limited edition and they do not keep information on it I dont have any information.

I may plan to sell this guitar and would like to provide as much accurate information as necessary.  Any help would be appreciated.  Feel free to email me if you are interested in purchasing it.

Offline Accept2

• View Profile
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/accept2/sets/72157601034910181/
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2008, 01:38:15 PM »
They have made a number of Budweiser guitars. I believe that model is the 3rd iteration of it and arguabley the most eye catching. They sometimes come on Ebay and generally go for about $150-$300. The value depends on whether someone really, really wants one. I am sure there are people out there who really want these to add to their beer collection. They also made some other guitars for other breweries as well as local breweries in other countries. Hamer also did a guitar like this, only it was made in the US, and was set neck. Interesting to note that during this era Kaman had purchased Hamer, and a few years later laid off workers who went to work for the new Washburn Custom shop in Chicago. It wouldnt surprise me if the story of the design was that one of those workers used the Hamer as the basis for this iteration of the Bud guitar...........

Offline pepito77

• View Profile
Re: Washburn Budweiser Bow Tie Info Needed
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2013, 01:28:58 PM »
I have one of those guitars !!
Did you get more info on them ?

Regards
  Jose

Offline Stellabluesboy

• View Profile
Re: Washburn Budweiser Bow Tie Info Needed
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2017, 09:56:09 PM »
I just picked up a Washburn "BU-5" today. It's also a promo guitar for Bud Dry beer. It's got a single humbucker (non-angled) at the bridge with one volume knob. The headstock reads "Why ask why?" which was Bud Dry's slogan. Haven't seen this body style or pickup setup on any other Washburn guitar. String through design. The guy I got it from said he got it around 1994. Would love to know how many of these were made, when, and if this design is peculiar to the BU-5.