Username: Password:

Author Topic: WP-50 - some info?  (Read 2191 times)

Offline jokun

• View Profile
WP-50 - some info?
« on: February 17, 2008, 02:45:21 AM »
Hi there!

Roughly ten years ago I got this amazing WP-50 for around $ 100:

Great guitar, perfect axe for me. Best player I ever owned, hands down. Just felt right. Over the years, I swapped most of the hardware, the pups, did some mods on the wiring and so on, and even though the tone was superb to begin with, I still got some little improvements out of it. It still remains my main guitar for gigging and recording.

Now, I wanted to know a bit more about this guitar and found a lot of conflicting info regarding WP-50s in general (MIJ, MIK, some have a pointed headstock, some have inverted-point headstock, placement of the pickup-switch, bolt-on-necks vs. set necks and so on), so I wanted to ask for the knowledgeable people here for some input. Especially since the info in the Washburn Archive is pretty basic and the good folks from customer support never responded to my questions.
Serial number starts with SL#89, so I gather this guitar was built in 1989? Is the SL some sort of factory prefix or what does it mean?

Neck is set, headstock looks like this:

Any info about this guitar would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance, guys!

Offline bigoldron

• View Profile
WP-50 - some info?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2008, 03:03:34 PM »
Can't help you with the info, but I'd gladly come up with a $100 bucks, if you're interested... ;)
Bigoldron
----------
My Babies:
Washburn WI64DL
Washburn House of Blues Electric
Washburn G30
Silvertone LB11 Bass

Offline jokun

• View Profile
WP-50 - some info?
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2008, 05:42:50 AM »
Hi bigoldron!

quote:
Originally posted by bigoldron

Can't help you with the info, but I'd gladly come up with a $100 bucks, if you're interested... ;)

Uhm...nope. Sorry! [:)] Not even for much, much more.

Offline Nexialist

• View Profile
WP-50 - some info?
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2008, 09:24:00 PM »
You have the Japan made model (inverted point).  It's part of the Washburn classic series that was made till 1990 (according to their wwebsite).  It's pretty dang close to being a real Les Paul according to people who own them :  http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Guitar/product/Washburn/WP50/10/1

I own a WP-80 which is the more deluxe version.  It has the pointy headstock so was made in Korea.  I paid $155 for mine.  After cleaning off the crud/oxidation I have a real keeper.

Offline jokun

• View Profile
WP-50 - some info?
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2008, 03:42:51 AM »
Hi.
Thanks a lot for your reply.

quote:
Originally posted by Nexialist

You have the Japan made model (inverted point).

Okay, great. Are there any other clues that might point to this guitar being a Japan made model?

quote:
It's pretty dang close to being a real Les Paul according to people who own them :

Yeah, I read that a lot. But I wouldn´t necessarily make that comparison. I guess I personally don´t need it to be a real Les Paul, nor would I want it to be one. It´s a wonderfully crafted guitar, sounds great to me, that´s all I need.

quote:
I own a WP-80 which is the more deluxe version.  It has the pointy headstock so was made in Korea.  I paid $155 for mine.  After cleaning off the crud/oxidation I have a real keeper.

Nice! Does the WP-80 have the LP Custom features (double binding and so on) or where are the differences?

Offline Thomas

• View Profile
WP-50 - some info?
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2010, 10:46:30 PM »
I have the same Guitar but its all original, and the serial  number starts with  SL#90 but what type of humbuckers would you recommend?

Offline Rocket

• View Profile
WP-50 - some info?
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2010, 11:16:16 PM »
Those posts are over 2-years old.

Offline Thomas

• View Profile
WP-50 - some info?
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2010, 11:38:07 PM »
Well that sucks, got no info out of this one then.....