Username: Password:

Author Topic: NEED ADVISE PLEASE on GUITAR SELECTION!  (Read 7010 times)

Offline Goldie

• View Profile
NEED ADVISE PLEASE on GUITAR SELECTION!
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2008, 04:39:02 PM »
Thanks Greg..Can you or someone please give me an idea of the pros and cons of the two I mentioned, please?

F52SWCE the folk style guitar
or
EA21HM what would this be like size wise?

Thanks so much!
« Last Edit: March 05, 2008, 04:39:44 PM by Goldie »

Offline strumsalot

• View Profile
    • http://mycherishedmoments.com
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2008, 05:01:46 PM »
This link may help with sizes between folk and dread. I don't have any specifics on the EA, but it would be the thinnest from top to back. They'll both sound great plugged in, but I think the F52SWCE would be a better choice for unplugged.

Offline Goldie

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2008, 05:21:23 PM »
Wow that pic is really helpful! Thanks Chad! I understand the EA would be thinner..but I looked it up and a description said it had a large body. Anyone have ideas on sizing of the EA20 or 21?

Offline Goldie

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2008, 05:42:04 PM »
Would the EA then be good for a small adult like the F52. You said it was thinner but is it larger in other ways?
How would you compare the EA21 to the EA20.

Should I also consider the F32?

Thanks so so much!
« Last Edit: March 05, 2008, 05:42:50 PM by Goldie »

Offline workknot

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2008, 06:22:38 PM »
Goldie; Take a peek at this one, I picked one up about a month ago. The neck is very nice and compares to slim profile of my Gibson 339.
http://www.activemusician.com/item--UO.OG8CEN?ref=fg&ovchn=SCU&ovtac=CMP&ovcpn=&ovcrn=Oscar+Schmidt+OG8CEN+Acoustic-Electric+Guitar+-+Natural

The width of the nut is 1 and 5/8 of an inch. At the 12th fret the neck is 2 inches wide. It is a very decent sounding guitar plugged or unplugged. The back side is slightly rounded, as the depth of the body at the base of the neck is 2 and 1/4 inches and in the middle it is 3 inches deep and at the strap pin end it measures 2 and 1/2 inches deep. This gives the back of the guitar a slight curve which is very comfortable to hold standing or sitting. The upper bout measures 11 inces the lower bout measures 15 inches. Total length of the guitar is 40 inches. It has the EQ7545R 4 Band EQ system with an undersaddle piezo pickup. This guitar is very reasonably priced and I was quite surprised with it after playing for a while. I find myself leaving my HB 35 and my Gibson 339 sitting in there cases. I do play it through an electrocoustic amp which brings the sound out very well. Good luck on you guitar shopping.
Regards; Pop's

MY HERD HAS THINNED !!!
Gibson ES 339!
Washburn HB35WR
With Gibson 57 Pickups!
Washburn OS OG8CEN soon to be STEREO capable!
Behringer Ultracoustic ACX 450 with extension cabinet!
Washburn HB35WR
With Gibson 57 Pickups!
Behringer Ultracoustic ACX 450 with extension cabinet!
Washburn J28SCEDLM Stereo Setup, Cumberland Cedar Top [:)]
Michael Kelly V15CE Cedar top on the way.
Fender FM210R Amp

Offline deltacaster

• View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/stacypuckett
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2008, 06:46:16 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Goldie

Would the EA then be good for a small adult like the F52. You said it was thinner but is it larger in other ways?

Thanks so so much!

You will find that some of the best sounding stage guitars, useful for plugging in with groups, are not always the loudest guitars when played purely acoustic.  Loud acoustic guitars will create more feedback when turned up through a PA or amplifier.  It's simply the nature of physics and amplified sound.  Many of the people on here have already advised you of that with some good suggestions.

I reccomended trying the WB400 because in all honesty, we just ran a contest giveaway with Womans World magazine, as we think it would suit a womans stature as a full sounding acoustic more than the other jumbo guitars that are popular.  It sounds great, is all solid wood, and just about every guitar player is under 6'4, I realize that :)

All being said, a thin bodies EA series guitar is still smaller, thinner, and probably more comfortable for someone switching from electric, but it's just simply not going to be as loud as a pure acoustic as the F52 or WB400 as they are not all solid tone woods like these models are.  It's all a matter of speculation until you get your hands on a guitar at a dealership.  I hope you make a decision you will be happy with, there are a LOT of options.

Offline Rocket

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2008, 06:49:42 PM »
If you can't find an F model Washburn to try, check out a Masterbilt EF-500.
My wife got the RA (Rosewood/Abalone) model few weeks ago and we're both thoroughly impressed with it. It's folk-sized EF (smaller body) but still 25-1/2 scale length. Thin matte finish, scalloped bracing, and light as a feather. Very high quality and sounds just like what one should expect from solid Sitka Spruce on Rosewood... Did I mention how well crafted & beautiful it is?
Trust this: Neither of us are easily impressed with guitars.

Offline Pike

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2008, 06:53:17 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Goldie

Thanks so so much!

The F52 is of the Timbercraft series, the F32 isn't. The 52 will sound better than the 32, but of course you will pay a bit more for the extra quality, but break the cost increase down over the lifetime of the guitar, and it would be well worth it. My daughter is about the same hieght as you, small hands, and she has no problem playing any of my guitars, including some of the hefty necks on my Guilds. You just can't go wrong with a F52SWCE Goldie.

Offline Rocket

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2008, 07:09:51 PM »
Size is really not an issue... anyone ever seen Emmylou Harris or Sheryl Crow playing their jumbos?

Offline Pike

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2008, 07:15:41 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Rocket

Size is really not an issue... anyone ever seen Emmylou Harris or Sheryl Crow playing their jumbos?

Exactly

Offline Rocket

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2008, 07:24:34 PM »
If it's a matter of reach, just get a shorter scale 24-3/4 instead of the standard 25-1/2. There's a ton of choices in either scale as long as you're not micro-seeking too many specifics like: Juiced Spruce on Rosewood Jumbo with Cutaway in 24-3/4 scale, (oh, hey... even that's available.)

Offline EmmitSycamore

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2011, 01:24:04 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Rocket

Seriously, Emmylou is a Godess, but not petite, by any standard.

Dolly Parton, another Goddess, is in fact petite. Well, except
for her reputation, which is said to preceed her ...

Just see any pic where the two are standing close together.

I'm male, just a bit under 6', and the Baby Jumbo is very
comfortable for me.

HTH,
Emmit Sycamore