Username: Password:

Author Topic: Making Your Own Music  (Read 3243 times)

Offline Purgatory

• View Profile
Making Your Own Music
« on: March 20, 2008, 03:03:39 PM »
This, im asking, is for guitar. When your making your own songs, how do you tell which chords are compatible with others? how can you tell which notes are compatibl;e when creating riifs? i know scales are used for solos, but any advice?

Offline nickfunyak

• View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/nickfunyak
Making Your Own Music
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2009, 09:53:05 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Purgatory

This, im asking, is for guitar. When your making your own songs, how do you tell which chords are compatible with others? how can you tell which notes are compatibl;e when creating riifs? i know scales are used for solos, but any advice?

I'm kind of sad to see that no one replied to you, Purgatory. Music is about feeling, and HEARING what works (and what doesn't). You really only need a basic understanding of music theory to know what works together. Start analyzing/listening to basic pop songs. Look up the chord progressions online, and you will find that most are based on 3 to 4 chords. That's it! Different arrangement of the chords, different scales following the chords, and vocal melodies are just a few ways that make your song unique. Just listen and play along, and you'll start to develop your own style in no time. From that point on, you'll know when something works, and when something doesn't, just by your gut feeling! [:)]