Username: Password:

Author Topic: Trying to figure out my guitar's serial  (Read 2879 times)

Offline Fetitoliz

• View Profile
Trying to figure out my guitar's serial
« on: September 04, 2011, 08:37:33 AM »
Hello, I just bought an used Washburn body, and was curious to see what model it was from. It has an 7-number serial number, and it starts with 80. So I figured it was from the eighties, and Washburn doesn't seem to have any info on the guitars made in the eighties (except from 89's). As I live in the EU region, it'd be pretty costy to call the Washburn service number.
I am trying to repair the guitar, since the last owner handled it pretty roughly.
If it is any help, the original colour of the guitar was kind of dark red, and it had a bolt-on neck. It had a Washburn license Floyd Rose and s/s/h -pickups. The wood is pretty heavy, though I don't know what wood it is. It could be plywood, I'll find out after I've sanded it. Can anyone help me here?

Offline Fetitoliz

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2011, 08:40:34 AM »
Oh, and it is a Strato-type body, and alnico pickups which have Washburn-signed covers on them. And a 5-way switch, tone potentiometer and a push-pull volume.

Offline Cornish Boy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2011, 01:05:13 PM »
Hi Fetitoliz, and welcome to the forum. Your description covers quite a few models. Any chance of some pictures, they would definately help. Most of the folk use photobucket it's free and relatively simple to upload from. Show us that guitar...........

Offline Fetitoliz

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2011, 03:32:19 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Cornish Boy

Hi Fetitoliz, and welcome to the forum. Your description covers quite a few models. Any chance of some pictures, they would definately help. Most of the folk use photobucket it's free and relatively simple to upload from. Show us that guitar...........

Thanks! Okay, here are a couple of pics I took, the grayish paintjob was done by the previous owner, and I sanded it off. There were layers of white and two shades of red under it, as you can see. It was sone kind of plywood, there were layers of some pretty dark wood and layers of lighter wood. I hope I can get the pictures uploaded :) The singlecoil pickup had the cover removed, but it's in the picture.

And as I said, I only bought the body so it's not a full guitar, but I'll get it looking like one in no time :)
« Last Edit: September 04, 2011, 03:37:58 PM by Fetitoliz »

binder1

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2011, 07:19:04 AM »
It almost looks like an MG body, with the arm relief....but the pots are in the wrong location.  I'm not sure when Washburn got the lic. for the Floyd Rose 600S, but I'm thinking 1985 or 86?  Assuming the neck coverplate is the original, the guitar body could date as late as 1989.  

How about some of the electric Washburn guitar experts....any ideas?
« Last Edit: September 18, 2011, 10:10:29 AM by binder1 »

Offline Fetitoliz

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2011, 11:05:44 AM »
A quick googling didn't give me any results, either. Do you think I should e-mail the Washburn service (if they have an e-mail)?

Offline Dzigi

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2011, 06:18:30 PM »
I am fairly certain this body use to be part of 1988 G-5V model.

Offline Fetitoliz

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2011, 05:17:01 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by Dzigi

I am fairly certain this body use to be part of 1988 G-5V model.

Thanks! Though now that I had some model to look up, I'm pretty sure it was a G5, not G5 V. Because according to http://vintagewashburn.com/Electrics/Force.html, G5 V didn't have red finish or the Floyd Rose. But I really appreciate this info, now I know what I'm up against :)

Offline Dzigi

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2011, 10:13:25 PM »
Take a look at the red one in the catalog picture :)