Username: Password:

Author Topic: Teaching Aide  (Read 6032 times)

Offline gfwooden

• View Profile
Teaching Aide
« on: September 12, 2004, 03:09:54 PM »
I am a 61 year old man getting ready to retire and want to learn to play. I am expecting my first Washburn (C104SCE) to arrive in about a week. I know nothing about music theory or the guitar but want to learn. I have done some searching for a good teaching program and I am leaning towards the eMedia Guitar Method program. Has anyone had experience with this program of learning or can you recommend something better as a learning tool? Anxious to get the guitar and get started, thanks for any help you can provide.georgewooden@sbcglobal.net

Offline wee3babies

• View Profile
Teaching Aide
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2004, 06:00:29 PM »
Dear George:

I do not know anything about the teaching method that you told about, but I remember when I first learned, it was very helpful to take guitar classes offered by community colleges for adults in the evening.

Ed

Offline Styles

• View Profile
Teaching Aide
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2005, 06:26:48 PM »
Hey there gfwooden...

The Hall Lenard teaching books are a good start... They go from basic right up to theory and method...

I agree to also tack some lessons... I prefer the private lesson out of someones home as it usually cheaper and just as good and even better if you jam for free at the end... I find them in the paper of internet... But I don't pay up front until I have had about a month of lessons to assure reliability ...

Rock on...[8D]

Offline George l Salas

• View Profile
Teaching Aide
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2006, 01:37:53 PM »
Gf, Wee3 is correct. some of the best new student instruction can be found through your local community center. If they don't offer anything , check out your local music store. They usually have someone with experience that will be willing to teach you for a reasonable fee.Good luck

Offline Gitfiddle

• View Profile
Teaching Aide
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2009, 06:58:59 PM »
The thing about lessons is that you should not learn bad habits that have to be over come later. Community colleges are very good.  Lots of people learn how to play (wrong) so they continue to use bad habits.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2010, 05:31:18 PM by Gitfiddle »

Offline Texas Flatpicker

• View Profile
Teaching Aide
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2010, 03:40:54 PM »
First learn which string is what, you know, E, G, A, R, L or whatever they are...etc..
Next, go online somewhere like Folk of the Wood.com and learn the pentatonic scales, then keep learning the scales, then grab some tabs, then keep learning the scales. Once you learn the scales, you will be able to play anything. Chords are good to know too. Learn the major sets or G, A, E, D, C, F and B. C7, Em, Am, D7 and if you play bluegrass, B flat comes in handy. It would help if you let us know what type of music that you want to play. I like to play Bluegrss personally as I enjoy flatpickin. Oh by the way, many bluegrass players use a capo. Some folks use them and some dont. I prefer not to but from time to time when playing in a jam setting, I will oblige the other players and put one on. Problem with playing with a capo, you can not modulate...lol....not that many bluegrass tunes do but I started playing country and progressed to bluegrass from there....kind of backwards I know.
But seriously, learn the scales and by the way, I find it easier to learn the scales backwards myself but that was just me. I think that the G scale would be the easiest but again thats just me.
And last but not least, find a jam close to you and go to them. Take your guitar and get it out and play with them. Let them know you are a beginner and there to learn. Playing with someone helps with your timing as well. You could get one of those tick tock things (metronome) but a pickin partner or two is much better.
By the way, just have fun.