Username: Password:

Author Topic: What was yours?????  (Read 2693 times)

Offline magoo99

• View Profile
What was yours?????
« on: October 13, 2008, 02:11:54 PM »
OK guys and gals,
What was your fave gig to play? or the best place you have ever played?
I know there are some pros here that don't like to tell a lot about themselves, but it would be so nice to here about all the great places that you guys have played. Even if they are small venues..let us know what was great for you.

For me the biggest was our own Blueberry festival for the size of the crowd around 3000 people there and right fr the first note we had the crowd with us. Always good when that happens.

But my real claim fame is playing at the EL MOCAMBO in Toronto, Canada.
Just thinking I was on a stage where great bands have played. Band like,  The Stones, U2, The Police, Stevie Ray Vaughan and April wine.
I was In my glee just to be on that stage. to see the autographs on the wall and to play to a great crowd. That we had to bring with us..LOL

So come on now ...Don't be shy  [ROCKET]LOL
Please share your story Guys.

Cheers
Magoo.

Offline donny341

• View Profile
What was yours?????
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2008, 07:56:58 PM »
I have played in my music room, at work on break in my work area with Teddy and others, at my brother's house for 5 people, in my front foyer on cold nights with a Miller High Life and a fire going in the stand up fire place I have out there, in my living room while watching DVD lesson or just muting a ballgame, at my daughter's house...for her, her sniffacnt other, and the grandkids. [:D][:D][:D]

Oh, and tomorrow I am taking a guitar to my physical therapy session to play after they work me over lol.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2008, 07:58:05 PM by donny341 »
Donny

Some Guitars
9 Tweed Straps
72 gold strap buttons with screws
10 Buffalo horn picks
Multitude of various plastic picks
Broken fingernails when used for fingerpicking
Wrist wraps for those arthuritis fretting moments
Preperation H for those long sitting hours playing guitar
42 various sets of strings
Lizard Spit Guitar Polish
3 polish cloths
Pro winder/cutter
2 plastic winders
Steel and nylon string clippings (I should clean up a bit)
4 wall mount hooks
One bile slice remover tool (for Dreadman)
ton of yuks and smiley faces here
One set beatles albums on Apple label
Various Beatles and Wings 45's
Two Turtle Doves
A Partridge in a Pear Tree

Life is what happens while your busy making other plans

Offline Pike

• View Profile
What was yours?????
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2008, 10:44:09 PM »
I played bass in a band (The Trojan Horse) in my teens. We played high school dances. Chicks dug us. It was cool.

Offline YerDugliness

• Pearl, TX jams at: www.pearlbluegrass.com/
    • View Profile
What was yours?????
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2008, 11:01:17 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by magoo99

For me the biggest was our own Blueberry festival for the size of the crowd around 3000 people there and right fr the first note we had the crowd with us. Always good when that happens.
Cheers
Magoo.

Don't want to hijack your thread, Magoo, but I must admit one of my most vivid childhood memories from NewFoundland was the profusion of wild blueberries!  We use to drive across the bay from St. Johns, into the farming regions, where blueberries grew wild in the fencelines, pick for a little while and go home and gorge ourselves.  A big bowl of fresh blueberries smothered in cream is about as close to culinary heaven as I can imagine [:D] !

Just curious, do they still make a road across the bay during the winter when it freezes over?  It sure did cut time off the trip for those who were across the bay....but it was quite scary at the time for a 4 year old.  Lots of home movies from NewFoundland, seal harvest time (bloody [xx(] , not for the faint of heart), etc.....

OK, so as to not hijack the thread, here's my only experience--at the Winfield Bluegrass Festival as a competitor in the International Fingerstyle Competition.  Hoping to start next week at a local pub in Houston where they have an open mic night every Monday night.  According to their website, this place has been ranked in the top 20 venues in the country for acoustic music....no pressure, hellno!!

I'm wondering if I'll ever get to the point that Rocket mentioned, where performing for others is a positive thing rather than a negative thing....we'll see.  If I don't like it, I can always retreat into the darkness of my living room again [:0] !

Dugly [8D]

YerDugliness, Esq./Post No Bills
Lifelong Audiophile
Guitar Playin' FOOL
Retired & attempting to age disgracefully!!!

The crew:
Washburns: WD32S, WD32SW, and D61SW
Epiphones: AJ-10 (campfire guitar!!), Masterbilt AJ500RC on order, a Dot '63 ES335 repop, and an LP Special edition
Yamaha Classical guitars: G231-II and G60A
Hippner #506 concert grade classical (arrived damaged, repairs arranged)
Takamine 2005 LTD Edition
Breedlove custom shop Deluxe Build Revival 000 slot-headed 12-fretter
A Hohner classical I left at a vacation home in SW KS.
Ibanez RX20

YerDugliness,Esq./Post No Bills
Guitar Playin' FOOL, attempting to age disgracefully!
Washburns:WD32SW,D61SW,D62SW,C124SWK,
WMJ21S(2),WGO26SCE,WSJ60SKELITE,WG26S (2).
Other fine acoustics:Breedlove custom shop 000,Hippner #506 Hauser,Takamini 2005 LTD,Epi Masterbilt AJ500RC

Offline Pike

• View Profile
What was yours?????
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2008, 11:28:53 PM »
quote:
I'm wondering if I'll ever get to the point that Rocket mentioned
Here's hoping you'll get there at the open mic Dugly...

Offline evenkeel

• View Profile
What was yours?????
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2008, 05:39:23 AM »
Georgetown Bahamas,

I'm in the middle.  I get a kick out of this pic as I can tell what tune we are playing.  Note Capo!!  I'f I had a Boat.

We had 200 people or so.  Here is a pic of the dinghy dock.

Offline magoo99

• View Profile
What was yours?????
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2008, 05:57:56 AM »
Hey Dugly, lots of people still make some small Ice roads in winter. they use them now to take their fire wood across the bay. This only happens in the smaller bay towns.
myself I find it a little crazy driving on ice, that is not all that thick in a pickup truck, loaded with wood. I have done it  with my Grandpa....ONCE...LOL
the cracking of the ice under the truck was a little to much for me...the guys still laugh at the townie that was scared of a little crack in the ice...LOL
we still Have lots of blueberries.

Offline PAPPY

• View Profile
What was yours?????
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2008, 07:43:52 AM »
My favorite has to be once a month when we play for the Home of the Elderly. The smiles on the faces of our old folks makes you feel good all over. Knowing you have brought joy to them for a short while makes me keep going back each month. Wish we could do it more often but at least we give them something to look forward to for awhile.

Sharmon
Please don't squeeze my Sharmon
My Kimmie
Friends Are Cherished
Sharmon
Please don't squeeze my Sharmon
KimmieFriends Are Cherished

Offline magoo99

• View Profile
What was yours?????
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2008, 07:55:36 AM »
Great story Pappy.
Thanks guys for sharing your fave gig. and pic of your gig.
Cheers Magoo.