Username: Password:

Author Topic: N4 Stickers  (Read 18481 times)

Offline N4ESA_UK

• View Profile
N4 Stickers
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2009, 06:22:27 AM »
Glad the sticker got to you OK Lum, looks good!!

I want your paddy Though!!  Its inspired me to get on with my project again.  I'll brave the cold tonight and start glueing my boards tohether

N4ESA
Gordon Smith GS2
80's Korean Strat
Warwick Streamer LXBN 5 string
Warwick Streamer 4 string
Antoria Star Bass
if you cant afford it, build it

Offline stefN4N8

• View Profile
N4 Stickers
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2009, 04:26:00 AM »
Hey N4ESA_UK, if you up for it, I'd love to see some work in progress pics of your project. I take it it's a Paddy project you're working on?

Offline N4ESA_UK

• View Profile
N4 Stickers
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2009, 06:32:41 AM »
Stef, I am sort of posting everything here but Im not doing much with it at the minute...  http://forums.washburn.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14356  

Ive made cad templates of everything I need to do the neckjoint so next steps will be to cut some jigs for the router and practice on some scraps of padauk Ive got.
Im getting the boards thicknessed and nice and flat.  I do plan on making a solid body from a slab of padauk (I havent got one yet but got a great price of $48 delivered!) but if the one Im making now sounds and looks good enough then I may leave it.

What id really like to do is make an N8 with a bass and a 6 string, that would be great for me to gig with as I swap over quite a bit!

N4ESA
Gordon Smith GS2
80's Korean Strat
Antoria Star Bass

Offline stefN4N8

• View Profile
N4 Stickers
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2009, 03:58:55 AM »
Wow, and home built N8 sounds like an amazingly challenging project! I will definitely check the thread you mentioned in your previous post in this thread to keep track of how things are coming together - if you get going on it again that is ;-)

Don't think it's that easy to build an N8: the necks aren't parallel so you *really* have to do some quality CAD work to get all the routing exactly right. Especially if you're thinking about building 2 SECs as well. The coolest project even though - even more if you're contemplating using Padauk!

Offline tobleronetwo

• View Profile
N4 Stickers
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2009, 07:41:13 AM »
I have an N8 body with two necks, was going to spend the next few years slowly putting it together, but i don't think i'll ever get round to it, Looks like i'm just gonna have to put it on ebay :(

Offline N4ESA_UK

• View Profile
N4 Stickers
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2009, 03:15:23 AM »
wow, where did you get an N8 Body?  I would list it on here first rather than ebay.  You wont pay any fee's on here and ppl will know what its worth!!  

I might be interested, but It would be an expensive build!  an SEC neck, an N2 neck, a schaller trem, 3xL500's! 1xSD59.  Not to mention the 12 string bridge and tuner arrangement.  Im guessing it would cost the best part of $1000 to complete a project like that to a good standard.  

That would definetly be a good retirement project for me though :)

I would post it in the electric forum, You may find that you get quite a few ppl interested!!!

N4ESA
Gordon Smith GS2
80's Korean Strat
Antoria Star Bass

Offline tobleronetwo

• View Profile
N4 Stickers
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2009, 01:22:13 PM »
Yeah some guy who used to work at washburn apparently, the body seems fine, measurements seem to be precise fully routed and all that, i have the two necks also, one standard sec, the other is the same but is cut differently specifically for the n8's body, i also have 6 of the tuning pegs in black that are for the body end of the guitar, yeah it wouldnt be cheap to put together, there is no damage to the body but there are a few dings as its been lying around for 13 years or so, the neck also but nothing that cant be easily repaired, the toughest part to find would be the 12 string nut, so it would only worth having if anyone was serious about putting it together, it was going to be my retiring project too, but im wondering if i will ever get round to it, but a custom built N8 would be very very cool. I would hate to get rid, yet i have also come to the decision that my n4 relic has to be sold also, times are tough :(.

Only trouble is i wouldnt have a clue what a fair price would be, i paid a small fortune & i dont mind losing money on it, but then i wouldnt want to be ripped off as i wouldnt want to do the same to do to anyone buying it. Maybe i should post some pics, see if anyone is interested, as your right, telling people here would prob be best as i know it would go to the right person.

Offline BlueBuddha

• View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/bluebuddha
N4 Stickers
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2009, 02:14:21 PM »
you need two SEC necks for the N8, not one SEC and one 4 bolt ? and they don't have normal shaped SEC's either. the 6 string neck only has four bolts holding it on.

its a big job, one i would be more than happy to under take±

best bet, Mr JP, is to just post pics and see what people offer you. that way you don't have to divulge how much you paid if you don't want to, nor do you have to find a value in your own mind.

the 12 string nut is similar to the BC rich ones so thats easy.

I'd happily undertake the whole darn thing, but i haven't got funds at the moment.

What do you want to do tomorrow?

Offline N4ESA_UK

• View Profile
N4 Stickers
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2009, 03:40:57 AM »
If you have both necks aswell it would be a very tempting project.  Get some pics posted.  If youre based in the UK or Europe then post here first so you dont have to post it so far :-)

TBH, I thought the upper neck was a standard 4 bolt but ive never seen an N8 in the flesh so Im bound to be wrong!  The 12 string nut shouldnt be hard to get as Buddha says. Gordon Smith also do a similar 12 string arrangement with 6 tuners at each end to balance the weight of the neck.

I think the last 2 N8's I saw for sale went for around $3k with the custom hardcase. They are very rare indeed.  I did find out how many were thought to be in existence but cant remember

N4ESA
Gordon Smith GS2
80's Korean Strat
Antoria Star Bass

Offline the_high_number

• View Profile
N4 Stickers
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2009, 05:17:02 AM »
Looking on the google, seems the neither neck is standard.

SEC is only a four bolt and the 12 string neck is all kinds of wierd!!!

Offline N4ESA_UK

• View Profile
N4 Stickers
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2009, 07:50:05 AM »
wow, thats gonna be tricky!  Interestin to see the neck screw ferrules though. Im considering doing that on my paddy-partscaster instead of geting a crescent neck plate.
might be worth putting this in a new thread though as ive forgot to mention that

ALL THE N4 STICKERS HAVE GONE.

N4ESA
Gordon Smith GS2
80's Korean Strat
Antoria Star Bass

Offline the_high_number

• View Profile
N4 Stickers
« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2009, 02:44:30 PM »
Any one got any ideas on the neck screw ferrules???  pros/cons??  i'd have assumed it'd be weaker than a neck plate??

is it likely to just basically be a washer type thing or something that goes into the body??

Offline BlueBuddha

• View Profile
N4 Stickers
« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2009, 02:53:40 PM »
i'd prefer to use a plate, but think those look better than the plate.

Offline the_high_number

• View Profile
N4 Stickers
« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2009, 04:14:28 PM »
just out interest Matt, what do YOU want to do tomorrow??

Offline BlueBuddha

• View Profile
N4 Stickers
« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2009, 04:59:53 PM »
well, since you asked; I'd like to wake up around 10, go collect my NX6 but not pay for the fret dress, come home (with minimal traffic) play some more GTA4 on my lovely new 32 inch HD tv that i bought today, have lobster for lunch, play some guitar, use some sort of teleporter to
go see my girlfriend in Bath and my friend in Newcasle all in the same afternoon, and then spend the evening doing a 30 Rock season 2 marathon.

:)