Username: Password:

Author Topic: Mercury Guitar Lovers  (Read 147870 times)

Offline Ghostman

• View Profile
Mercury Guitar Lovers
« on: May 06, 2003, 02:17:10 AM »
I have read many times on recent posts the love of Mercury guitars.  Here is your chance to list your Mercury and give ode to the great Washburn Co. for creating such an awesome, vastly-overlooked guitar.  I have a 1995 MG-92, and two more in construction.  The sound, feel, and the look of the natural Mahogany body is unsurpassed by my feeling.  Thank you Washburn!

Offline ShadowSong

• View Profile
    • http://www.mark-shields.net
Mercury Guitar Lovers
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2003, 07:12:21 PM »
i have two

a Washburn MG40 and a Protype mercury (the recept said mg340 but that guitar has a 24 fret maple neck)

awesome guitars

Offline Accept2

• View Profile
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/accept2/sets/72157601034910181/
Mercury Guitar Lovers
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2003, 10:59:01 AM »
I have a few of them:
MG102, MG122 Artist, and 4 USAs with Floyds. I used to have an MG100Pro as well, but didnt like the pickup configuration. At one time I had some of the imports, an MG40 and an MG70, and they were amazing guitars for the price. Nothing beats the USA Mercury's though......
« Last Edit: May 25, 2003, 09:17:06 AM by Accept2 »

Offline randygough

• View Profile
Mercury Guitar Lovers
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2003, 03:19:05 PM »
Ok, I don't know the model number. I bought this used, well hardly used. Apparently it had been donated as a draw prize at a Women's Pro Tennis Match eventin the US. It had been signed by a number of the tennis players but they had all been cleaned off by the time I bought it. It was pristine, not a scratch or mark on it.

It is a beautiful guitar. It is transparent green, pearl effect pick guard, Wilkinson bridge, pickups are Washburns 511, 512 and 523, head stock reads...Washburn Mercury designed by Grover Jackson, Tuners are Grovers, serial #4120466

If anyone can fill me in on what model this might be or where or when it was made I would be thankful.

I compared this guitar with some American made strats in a music store and the strats came no where close to the playability of this instrument.  I'm playing it through a Yamaha G100-112S amp. Hey, if it's ok for Phil Keaggy it's ok for me.

Offline randygough

• View Profile
Mercury Guitar Lovers
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2003, 03:21:59 PM »
Ok, I don't know the model number. I bought this used, well hardly used. Apparently it had been donated as a draw prize at a Women's Pro Tennis Match eventin the US. It had been signed by a number of the tennis players but they had all been cleaned off by the time I bought it. It was pristine, not a scratch or mark on it.

It is a beautiful guitar. It is transparent green, pearl effect pick guard, Wilkinson bridge, pickups are Washburns 511, 512 and 523, head stock reads...Washburn Mercury designed by Grover Jackson, Tuners are Grovers, serial #4120466

If anyone can fill me in on what model this might be or where or when it was made I would be thankful.

I compared this guitar with some American made strats in a music store and the strats came no where close to the playability of this instrument.  I'm playing it through a Yamaha G100-112S amp. Hey, if it's ok for Phil Keaggy it's ok for me.

Offline randygough

• View Profile
Mercury Guitar Lovers
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2003, 08:03:01 PM »
after spending some time on the Washburn web site I've been able to deduce that I have a 1996 MG401 Deluxe. It's the only one with the combination of components.

Offline Accept2

• View Profile
Mercury Guitar Lovers
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2003, 09:19:02 AM »
That would be my guess too. Those were made in Korea under strict quality control. The import Mercury series were quite impressive for the price. I'm sure they would have had a bigger impact on the market had they come out 10 years earlier......

Offline J.Casper

• View Profile
Mercury Guitar Lovers
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2003, 06:01:18 PM »
Today (7/06/2003) I purchased a guitar like this.

A washburn mercury, designed by Grover Jackson.
Natural wood colored, pearl effect pick guard, pickups are Washburns 511, 512 and 523, Wilkinson bridge. SN:4110301.

I dont know wat is the model. Can you help-me?

My opinion is that this is a great guitar, beautiful for the eyes and for the ears.

Offline Accept2

• View Profile
Mercury Guitar Lovers
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2003, 06:29:08 PM »
Sounds like another MG401. I'm sure if you emailed Washburn they might be able to trace the serial number.....

Offline Axeman

• View Profile
Mercury Guitar Lovers
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2003, 09:48:07 PM »
I have an MG40W-VS I bought it new in 1993 I think I can't remember exactly. I've been using as my main stage guitar ever since.It's held up very well and I've had not one problem with it.

Offline bengaren

• View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/bengaren
Mercury Guitar Lovers
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2003, 04:45:12 PM »
I bought my Washburn MG-40 in Turkey for $550 when I was stationed there with the U.S. Army back in 1999. It's ironic, but they seem to be one of the most ubiquitous guitars in that country for some reason. I have owned Ibanez's in the past, and have tried numerous other brands, including Fender Strats. But, this thing is just awesome! I absolutely love it and have been trying for years to find another one to serve as a back-up. I've finally found one on a web-site for a rediculous $219!!! I've read other posts that say theirs are made in Korea...however, mine says it's made in Malaysia.

When I talk with other guitarists, I constantly find myself preaching the virtues of Washburn MG-40's.I really think Washburn aught to consider re-issuing this thing...the sustain is incredible for a bolt-on neck...and I don't know what they've done to the wood or what, but the tone is simply unmatched!

Ben Garen
a.k.a. Noble Savage
www.geocities.com/bengaren
www.mp3.com/bengaren

Offline Accept2

• View Profile
Mercury Guitar Lovers
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2003, 05:12:30 PM »
Not only should they reissue the Mercury, they should bring back the man who was behind them, Grover Jackson. Its a shame that he now works for the guitar pimp Ed Roman...........

Offline curtisa

• View Profile
Mercury Guitar Lovers
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2003, 04:44:23 AM »
Anybody help with some info on a Mercury series I have just bought used. ser no. begins with 3 so I am thinking 1993. It has a sticker on the back which reads MGX-NM, it is a double ctaway with a reverse headstock, two humbuckers (621 & ?) and a 600S licensed floyd rose trem the finish is natural wood with no pick guard. I have an idea that the NM on the sticker may mean Natural Matte. The two pickups are angled slightly top to the rear.

Thanks

Big Al

Offline Accept2

• View Profile
Mercury Guitar Lovers
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2003, 06:52:38 AM »
I'm pretty sure that was from a special run of guitars using Mercury specs, and agled pickups like the Steve Stevens models. It is definately Korean made. I've only seen a couple of those, and the pictures werent all that good......

Offline Jstokes

• View Profile
Mercury Guitar Lovers
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2003, 01:21:19 AM »
ok I just got a Mercury. don't know much about it.. sounds great play's great. I'm not sure on what model it is. it has a H-S-S pick-ups. a flooting termolo. nothing real special about it.. I'm gussing it is an early model.. maybe something like a MG-20 , I have not seen much info on them.. so I'm not sure.. can some one help?
that's what's up!
         Jason