Username: Password:

Author Topic: N4 Padauk  (Read 56935 times)

Offline N4ESA_UK

• View Profile
N4 Padauk
« on: December 10, 2008, 06:46:54 AM »
My new padauk neck has arrived in the UK. Going to pick it up tomorrow and will start my N4 project over christmas.

Im thinking of maybe HSH config with coil tapped L500's and an L200 in the middle! Something a bit like a natural Padauk N6 mutant?!

Also thinking of maybe a bookmatched padauk on mahogany body, or just solid padauk.

Big thanks to Chris@Soundtech for getting me a neck from Washburn (after they said to me they hadnt got any padauk left and wouldnt be ordering anymore!!??)

N4ESA
Gordon Smith GS2
80's Korean Strat
Warwick Streamer LXBN 5 string
Warwick Streamer 4 string
Antoria Star Bass
if you cant afford it, build it

Offline the_high_number

• View Profile
N4 Padauk
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2008, 04:04:13 PM »
Love that you're doing something different with it!!  

really looking forward to seeing how yours goes, making me wish i could get on with mine!!

Offline N4ESA_UK

• View Profile
N4 Padauk
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2008, 07:08:16 AM »
Im well chuffed with this...........

just working on templates for the neck joint and when ive got it right on scrap peices, I will go for it on the body blank!  

N4ESA
Gordon Smith GS2
80's Korean Strat
Antoria Star Bass

Offline the_high_number

• View Profile
N4 Padauk
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2008, 07:15:00 AM »
Very nice!!!  so the whole things been a good experience then??  something you'd definitely recomend to some one else doing the same thing???

funny that they put the buzz sticker on it, it's not even got a nut!!

Offline N4ESA_UK

• View Profile
N4 Padauk
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2008, 07:19:43 AM »
if you need a straight replacement part, go to chris andrews at soundtech.  He is a nice bloke and knows his stuff.  A relic/standard neck would cost less than this one!!  so worth having a go i think.

Im not too bothered if it takes me a year to get it all right, just looking forward to putting my own guitar together.  
Are you planning/starting a similar project?

N4ESA
Gordon Smith GS2
80's Korean Strat
Antoria Star Bass

Offline the_high_number

• View Profile
N4 Padauk
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2008, 07:42:49 AM »
Yeah, think i've said before, i have an alder body, and i just got some pickup mounts (baby steps)

was thinking of maybe putting an N61 neck in to keep the costs down.

Offline N4ESA_UK

• View Profile
N4 Padauk
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2008, 07:59:19 AM »
I would contact soundtech (chris.andrews -at- soundtech.co.uk) and ask if you can get a price from washburn for a relic neck and an N61 neck. It will be a bit hit n miss whether your neck will fit or not but you wont know until you get one. I would say that the relic neck would be more likely to fit, they may have increased the size of the curve on the cutaway to make up for the thickness of the primer and paint on N61's.

You will need a serial number to order from washburn, so make sure you get one from a similar year your body was made.  Warpdrive couldnt tell me when they were produced, but Im guessing it is 2005 - 2007?  

Im tempted to get all the bits for my body straight away, but I really need to join the neck to my body blank before i buy anything!

N4ESA
Gordon Smith GS2
80's Korean Strat
Antoria Star Bass

Offline the_high_number

• View Profile
N4 Padauk
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2008, 09:00:02 AM »
Do they then stamp the headstock with the serial number you provide them??

From what i've seen on the web it's not a relic, looking at the cavities and what not and looking at the image on the wiki entry for the N4

will get some pics up sometime so you can see what it is.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2008, 09:05:52 AM by the_high_number »

Offline N4ESA_UK

• View Profile
N4 Padauk
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2008, 09:29:55 AM »
no they stamp it as a brand new one, mines stamped as a 2008 and I gave them a 2006 serial number.  xx (year) xx (month) xx (number)

your body could be an NX6 then, does it have 2 control holes? 1 vol 1 tone? also what type of bridge is it prepared for?  a pic will help alot.  
if you photograph it, put a ruler on there so I can scale up the photo in CAD and I might be able to tell you if my neck will fit it ok. It all depends on where the bridge ends up in relation to the 12th fret when its bolted together.

N4ESA
Gordon Smith GS2
80's Korean Strat
Antoria Star Bass

Offline the_high_number

• View Profile
N4 Padauk
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2008, 09:47:29 AM »
Cool, you're a star!!!

if it helps any, let me know which measurements you want and i'll try to be as acurate as i can.

definitely N4 body, one volume control hole, one toggle switch hole.  It's routed for a floyd, so it would have been a NX3 anyways.

the cavities are comparable to the middle example on the pic on wikipedia.

Offline N4ESA_UK

• View Profile
N4 Padauk
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2008, 10:40:28 AM »
The important measurement is the radius of the front stephens cutaway area (think its a 4 or 101.6mm radius) and how far round the curve goes.  If the neck sits too far into the body, the 12th fret will be too far forward and you will never be able to play it, bad news all round if thats the case. only suggestion would be to do something different with the stephens cutaway and make a feature of it, like an ebony insert to fill the gap??  that could look cool!  

The other problem may be that the neck doesnt sit far enough into the body, in which case you will need to cut more off the front cutaway part of the body.

You really need a neck though dude, you wont be able to do much until you get it.

N4ESA
Gordon Smith GS2
80's Korean Strat
Antoria Star Bass

Offline the_high_number

• View Profile
N4 Padauk
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2008, 03:53:32 PM »
So here's my N4 body, like i've said before, i think it's alder but the details of it are on one of my PCs somewhere that's not hooked up at the mo.

hopefully managed to ge the ruler on in a good place so you can see the sizes ok.

Measuring from the centre line between the bridge posts down the centre line of the body to where the SEC meets the GAP for the truss rod is 170mm, though i've no idea how to work out the radius of the SEC from it!!!

Offline N4ESA_UK

• View Profile
N4 Padauk
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2008, 07:07:51 AM »
hmm, could be ash or alder looking at these photos, I think its Ash as the relic has the rounded selctor switch cavity plate and the grain looks a little too dark for alder.

here is something I knocked up, Ive scaled the body into CAD using the ruler and matched a neck photo that ive also scaled using fret widths, scale length and nut width.  the body looks a little small but its not 100% accurate.  The SEC pocket radius looks ok but I dont know if the cut is too far into the body. You may find its about 5-10mm too far into the body and will put your bridge out of alignment.

You wont know for certain unless you get a neck though

N4ESA
Gordon Smith GS2
80's Korean Strat
Antoria Star Bass

Offline N4ESA_UK

• View Profile
N4 Padauk
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2008, 07:31:35 AM »
My advice is get a neck dude, you got to at some point and you maight aswell get that bit sorted out before you buy all the trimmings!
Mine took about 2 months to arrive.

N4ESA
Gordon Smith GS2
80's Korean Strat
Antoria Star Bass

Offline the_high_number

• View Profile
N4 Padauk
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2008, 07:41:46 AM »
Like i say, it's all down to money!!  though it prolly won't hurt to get a quote on the neck (let's see how bored with work i am later!! =OP

what was the neck from that you 'fitted' to it??