Username: Password:

Author Topic: Reviving Rock and Metal  (Read 12934 times)

Offline Basslogic

• View Profile
Reviving Rock and Metal
« on: October 12, 2004, 11:25:46 PM »
Ok kids let's cut to the chase here.  In 1986 MTV went to Seattle with the vision of dictating to the mindless masses what was cool.  They find Mother Love Bone, start pumping so called underground buzz, and voila...the grunge scene is born.  One problem...Andy O.D.'s on heroine and the party stalls....1988 Kurt Cobain and Nirvana hit heavy with a massive MTV push, and grunge takes hold, but Kurt was about as stable as Andy was( Can you say O.D. #2?), so VJ in training and basement band unknown, Eddie Vedder is set-up with former MLB players and some newbies to become Pearl Jam.  Yes, Eddie Vedder was employed by MTV, and not this gas jockey in some desolate station writing poetry.[B)] Isn't it funny how these things occur[;)]After the installation of Grunge, and alternative and the quick demise in interest,  MTV once again decided to dictate what would be next...Rap/Hip-Hop...Non-musicians, sampling real musicians music without permission, or paying royalties, and speaking in 8-12-or 16 beat Iambic pentameter over the beat.  Thus satisfying the PC crowds cries for more ethnicity, and pleasing the simple minds once again with something mediocre they could aspire too.[xx(][:o)]In the process,  REAL Musicians, playing REAL Music were relegated back to seedy clubs, basements, and garages because REAL MUSIC was no longer cool as dictated by MTV.  So how do we, Real Musicians, re-establish our foothold in the world of music???  So many radio stations worldwide play 60's to 80's/90's rock and metal, yet there are no new bands making any headway, and the older bands don't care about trying to revive Rock.  My Band, and about 10 other bands are trying to work on a lable just for Hard Rock and Metal, to build a base for promoting what they have tried to kill but just keeps barely hanging on because musicians want to be challenged to be better than the other guy, ya know???  Drummers who can actually play more than a straight 4 beat on a 5 piece,  guitarists who can shred, singers who can actually sing, and not whine about how horrible their designer garment, upper class yuppie pseudo-punk life is.  If they only lived through the 70's punk scene....LMAO Averil you freaking poster child poser for the Vouge/Cosmo ideal of punk!!!!  IF YOU have any IDEAS on how to more deeply persue this venture, we will definately listen,  if you would like to participate, or be updated on the progress....just add a post.  Hard Rock and Metal live
Metal for the intellect and the soul

Offline axxewizard

• View Profile
    • http://anjelblue.com
Reviving Rock and Metal
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2004, 01:02:05 PM »
I agree wholeheartedly. A consensus would change the music industry business model, which means write from your heart and not from the hope that you'll get a deal regurgitating the same thing you hear on the radio.

You might enjoy some of this: http://anjelblue.com/music.htm
[8]
Why do doctors get paid to practice?

Offline markmilly

• View Profile
Reviving Rock and Metal
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2004, 01:09:37 PM »
Interesting points you have made.  I am a huge grunge fan (minus Nirvana.  Something about Kurt Kobain doesnt sit well with me.  Maybe because he is a whiny bitch.)  Anyway, huge PJ fan, also enjoy Soundgarden, and AiC.  Youre right, music on MTV sucks these days.  I think there is still good metal/hard rock out there it just isnt getting any respect.  I think Mark Tremonti is an amazing guitarist, problem is though, that teenagers would rather see Christina shake her slut ass than see some guy rock out.  We need to fix this problem.
Down to my last.....

Offline silverhammer

• View Profile
Reviving Rock and Metal
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2004, 01:09:01 PM »
It is just a shame that metal was associated with hairspray.  Whoever came up with that connection must have been a frustrated shredder.

I think we need more talented guitarists in the industry.  Bettencourt, Oz Fox, Bratta, Gilbert and the rest.... The pressure to be in with MTV's concept of rock clipped the wings of some really good axe wielfers.

I'm even sure, given a chance, the lead guitarist of Good Charlotte would love to show his knowledge of scales and modes.

anyway, if they don't want to relive the good 'ol days... I WILL!!!

Whip out the twin guitars!
Rock is a movement constantly changing; whoever can't accept this do not not know rock.

Offline Djehuti

• View Profile
    • http://aaronsguitar.proboards40.com
Reviving Rock and Metal
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2005, 02:25:17 AM »
Man, to say that Pearl jam was formed because of an MTV promotion scheme is bloody uneducated. Mtv is primarily a music video corperation, popular music videos are their bread and butter. Pearl jam created one video in the early nineties during the rise of grunge and it was Jeremy. sure the video became emmensely popular.. which actually scared the band away from making any more. Bands like Pearl Jam and Alice in Chains were not just packaged mtv bulls**t like some of the bands of the time. Mike Mcready (guitarist for Pj if you weren't aware) has some serious chops, honestly. He pulled a bloody 5 minute solo out of his ass for Evenflow on Pearl Jam: Live at the garden. Mike could play with the likes of John Petrucci any day.  

Now that thats out of my system... Rock is being revived, not mainstream rock mind you, but the heavy metal genre is just thriving right now. guitarists with actual talent are begginning to emmerge, take Alexi Laiho of Children of Bodom for example, that guy can shred. Or Matt Bachand and Jonathan Donais (sp?) from Shadows fall.

I admit, mainstram rock is utter crap right now. the scene is infected with talentless hacks like Good Charlotte, Simple Plan, theory of a Dead man, etc.. but thats no reason to cut the 90's grunge movement.   In my opinion, there is a revival going on. Albeit a revival that the mainstream wont pay attention to. Its still there for those who want to listen.  

MTV(and it's affiliates) can go to hell.
Your favourite band sucks.

Offline psychoman69

• View Profile
Reviving Rock and Metal
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2005, 12:02:00 AM »
rock and metal kicks ass and needs to come back, im sick of all this new gay crap like simple plan and green day, they all suck, and even though green day isnt really new, they still suck. i hate nirvana too they brought down metal, good bands like ozzy, sabbath, ac/dc, and motley crue, along with a lot of other ones need to come and make a huge comeback because music nowadays sucks!

Offline cruehead99

• View Profile
Reviving Rock and Metal
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2005, 12:05:58 AM »
omfg, u guys r a bunch of complete dumbass pussies, grunge is one of the worst f**kin types of music out there, i wouldnt even call it music, wtf is the point of sittin there screaming about how much ur life sucks, when u got bands like, motley crue, acdc, van halen, iron maiden, and judas priest who have talent, they got the solos, they got the music, bands like nirvana r a bunch of ***gots who want attention so they say how much there life sucks, if they practiced and learned their instruments as much as they complain, they might be worth listening to, and i atleast agree with one thing, mtv blows dick, they r an alternative for bands like greenday, if it werent for mtv, green day wouldnt be anything, older cool bands, told ppl like mtv to shut the f**k up and bitch later, u guys r gay, u prolly dont even know how to tune ur f**kin instruments, bitches

Offline psychoman69

• View Profile
Reviving Rock and Metal
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2005, 12:08:22 AM »
im sick of hearing a bunch of wussies go out there with no talent or skill and start whining cuz they are too much of a loser to get a girlfriend and how much there life sucks, and im sick of hearing about the government too, i wanna hear a band that can go out there and kick some ass and actually be able to sing and play their instruments. every new band is a bunch of losers who happened to be able to strum a few bar chords on guitar and have a singer that can whine like a wuss, quite simply, IT'S ALL s**t!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline cruehead99

• View Profile
Reviving Rock and Metal
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2005, 12:08:50 AM »
pshyco man, ur the only cool person to walk this planet, everyone likes all that new s**t, they all suck more cock than f**kin micheal jackson

Offline psychoman69

• View Profile
Reviving Rock and Metal
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2005, 12:14:52 AM »
lets compare musicians now, you got tony iommi, eddie van halen, zakk wylde, randy rhoads, and mick mars, vs billy joe of green day and a bunch of other not famous douchebags that cant play their insturments worth s**t. now bassists, geezer butler and nikki sixx vs.... idk any, but thats the f**king point. singers, ozzy, vince neil, bruce dickinson, and now you got simple plan whos lead singer is a motherf**king cocksucking wussy-ass ***goty frenchman, and that green day dumbass and like that one avril chick, she sucks, drummers, tommy lee, bill ward vs idk again, they all suck cuz they are homosexual pussies that suck dicks all day long and cant sing worth s**t

Offline crisis

• View Profile
Reviving Rock and Metal
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2005, 08:11:44 PM »
Where is the love. Let me put on record my favourite music involves lead guitar. Whether Vai, Van Halen, Lukather, Gambale, Hendrix, Eric Johnson, Rik Emmet (remember him) Alan Holdsworth etc. Heavy rock (apparently called hair metal now) is why I learnt to play the guitar. But spewing vitriol at other forms of music doesnt do anything. If someone likes it then any music is relevant. It does not need to be equally skillful or complex as the HM shredders of the 80s. I loath hip hop but its fines for those who like it.
I am not sure where I stand on bands like Simple Plan, Good Charlotte etc. I rekon they get away with murder theses days because of bands like Nirvana who sold their case on angst. They made solos and shredding unpopular and suddenly gave every guitarist who could play E A D  power chords a chance at stardom. And record reviewers and critics can take some heat too. I dont know how many reviews of bands like Toto, Journey and some of the AOR type bands where critics like to pay them out.
Even Thrash etc tended towards leaving solos in the back ground of late. But it seems to be changing. Here in Australia we hav almost no chance of hearing great shredders unless they come from abroad. I personally have never rated the Australian music scene becauset here were so few bands that played my type of music. Certainly none who were big. So I lok forward to what appears to be a move back to solos. Long live shred.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2005, 08:15:16 PM by crisis »

Offline jm5150

• View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/suckatashrawk
Reviving Rock and Metal
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2005, 09:01:24 PM »
The world has been starving for the return of hard rock and metal!

Offline AtoMikA

• View Profile
Reviving Rock and Metal
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2005, 06:34:07 PM »
Revive rock and metal? It has always been here. Do you have a cd player? Go buy some music, download it..It never left the building.
With the internet we are surrounded by Rock and Metal. Join a band and start putting on shows, help create the scene pardner[;)]

Offline Styles

• View Profile
Reviving Rock and Metal
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2006, 10:28:14 AM »
I agree its never left.... What radio station you been listening to LOL

Rock on..[8D]

Offline ruthless

• View Profile
Reviving Rock and Metal
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2006, 03:35:38 PM »
Some good friend's and I are keeping the concept of (old school & and recent) death/thrash/doom/black metal alive in our domain. MTV and Radio started going way downhill in the '80's. Alternative, grunge, nu-metal, nu-punk....is for the folk's that can't handle the harshness, vulgarity, and perfect reality that is what we're into here (bleeding ears, mosh-pit scars, neck injuries). Some of us are over 40.....
My guitar's got a message for you, and you're not gonna like it.....