Username: Password:

Author Topic: A-20V  (Read 2035 times)

Offline gregg67

• View Profile
A-20V
« on: December 29, 2008, 07:45:09 PM »
i have an original A-20V w/a serial # 6385 is that the manufactures date? 6/03/85 or what do the numbers mean,thanks greg.

Offline RADIO1

• View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/pzproject
A-20V
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2009, 02:35:05 PM »
I think it is indeed the date actually. Usually though, those would have the first 2 numbers be the year, at least that's what I've normally seen, with some exceptions. To be sure, call a place like Elderly Instruments (I work there) and ask to speak to the Appraisal Department. Give them your serial number, they should be able to help.

Pat Zelenka: Guitarist

Offline Tio Kimo

• you're never too old to be what you might've been
    • View Profile
A-20V
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2009, 03:13:43 PM »
Welcome to the forum Gregg.

I've had similar discussions regarding Washburns of this vintage, Made in Japan, and how exactly to translate the serial number.

In my case it was in regard to HB-35's, and there are a couple of guys on here that own them with the 4 digit serial number. One of us was told by Customer service that a serial number such as 8411 probably indicated a 1984 mfg date.

I was told by customer service that the same date likely meant it was made in 1988, the 411th off the line. I did a fair amount of cross referencing on my model, including talking to guys with confrmed earlier models, compared cosmetic evolution of the model from Washburns own sales flyers, and concluded it was likely the latter and probably not the former. If the same factory was involved in yours that would mean that yours is a 1986, #385.

2 MAJOR qualifiers here.

A)It seems odd that they planned in advance to never make more than 999 of a given model, so are there some out there with 5 digits?

B) this is MY statement, made with information from, but not the endorsement of, Washburn customer service.

c)in Washburns defense, I understand that at least one Japanese factory burned to the ground, damaging records, and production moved hastily to other sites, and since then, the company has changed owners, so solid information is not readily available. I'm guessing that CS is making educated guesses at best. All the more reason for guys like us to compare notes. We're the ones with the guitars laying around, and we may be able to fill in the gaps regarding history.

The guitar. Got any pics? I was looking at one recently. I love the A20, and I'm not sure i want the trem. How do you like it? original pickups?

Radio1, checked out your myspace. Love that yamaha, and the A20. What can you add about your guitar, as far as serial number? How long have you had it?

I think the Elderly route sounds cool. they had a Koa Larrivee acoustic a while back that made me break into a cold sweat. Seems like a pretty cool place. Must be hard on the direct deposit working there. I don't think anything would ever make it to my bank account!!

Nice to have some new guys on board. [8D][:D]

cheers!

~kimo
'03 Washburn Idol WI-67PROQTS
'88(?) Washburn HB-35TS
'92 Washburn EA20-12N
'04 Larrivee LV-03 w/ Fishman blend
Roland Cube 30X
Songworks Little Lanilei 3350LT
ANOTHER PROUD MEMBER OF THE FESTIVAL GUILD
« Last Edit: January 26, 2009, 03:31:07 PM by Tio Kimo »
http://www.oldtownschool.org/
'95 Washburn D-55SW Cherokee (Bourgeois)
'04 Larrivée LV-03 w/ Fishman blend
'02 Heritage 535
'12 Heritage 150
'10 Larrivée RS-2
'11 Benford Tele
'12 Kirn Barn Buster
Marshall AS50D
Little Lanilei 3350LT
Champlifier
Boogie DC-2