Username: Password:

Author Topic: '80 A-20 w parts questions  (Read 1740 times)

Offline King of Noise

• View Profile
'80 A-20 w parts questions
« on: December 30, 2008, 09:50:58 PM »
Here's my recently acquired 1980 A-20 hardtail w/OHSC. I love this thing.  The solid feel, the beefy neck.  It's a great guitar.

As you can see from the pics, I need a few parts to make it right.

1) The broken pickup ring.  What does one do trying to replace a 3 adjustment screw pup ring?  I've search the parts suppliers and didn't find one.  Washburn CS was no help when I contacted them.
2) I had tried to install some amber bell knobs (Gibson) but they were too small for the pot shafts.  I suppose the only thing are larger shaft speed knobs?

Here's a couple of pics, Thanks and enjoy...

« Last Edit: December 30, 2008, 09:52:32 PM by King of Noise »

Offline Cornish Boy

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2008, 06:23:25 AM »
Hi, I had the same problem and after searching just about everywhere I bought an ordinary cream surround and redrilled it. To cover the extra hole I just stuck the head of a screw on it, but I suppose you could fill it and colour it if you're fussy about these things, nobody has ever noticed three screws and commented on it though, so good enough for me.
Happy Hunting. And that's a really nice guitar, cheers.

I Roll With The Eighties And Rock With The Washburns
« Last Edit: December 31, 2008, 06:24:54 AM by Cornish Boy »

Offline SamuraiPanda

• View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/theoutlawpandas
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2008, 08:15:57 AM »
Carvin HB's have a 3 screw ring. Maybe you could buy replacement rings from them.
https://www.carvinguitars.com/products/single.php?product=M22T-2

just an example.

- Panda

Offline King of Noise

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2008, 02:33:47 PM »
Thanks for the replies, guys.

I forgot that older Carvins used 3 screw bezels (and I own an 80's Carvin but forgot to look at it).  Looking closely now, the Washburn has its screws located pretty much at the apex of the radius of each pickup coil.  Unfortunately, the Carvins 2 screws are located much closer to one another so this doesn't look like it'll work.

So it looks as if using the standard rings w/a 3rd dummy screw head will have to do.  Now to find some that much these nicely aged DiMarizo's as well as these stock ones do.