Username: Password:

Author Topic: The Washburn WI64PL - Show Us Your Unusual Guitar!  (Read 19906 times)

Offline UniqueGuitars

• View Profile
The Washburn WI64PL - Show Us Your Unusual Guitar!
« on: January 02, 2009, 04:32:09 PM »
Here Is An Early 2001 - 03 WI64PL Acquired In 2007.  I Added This Intriguing Yet Eye Catching Venue Ready Beauty - To My Choice Of Unusual...But Exceptional Guitars.

With Over 40 Years Of Family Involvement In Stringed Instruments, Music & My Personal Interest In Custom Guitar Work...We Found The WI64PL Quite Nice To Play And Enjoy. 

Equipped With WB630 High Output Pickups, Buzz Feiten Tuning System, Plus The Voice Contour Control System - Tonality Is Very Distinct Allowing For A Wide Variety Of Music Styles, Genres, And Technical Players.

Boasting Nice Features Including Gold Hardware, Two Humbuckers, A Straight Neck, 22 Level Frets, 18:1 Grover Tuners, Remarkable Sound, And Excellent Stage Appeal...This Is A Super Guitar That Continues To Deliver Serious Performance.

I Would Definitely Regard This Extraordinary Axe An Amazing Candidate For Pushing The Envelope Even Further With Future Tailored Upgrades, Pickup Tone Taps, And Aesthetic Enhancements Ready To Astound Any Musician's Most Discriminating Taste.

According To Washburn...They Made Around 300 WI64PL’s For An Exclusive Dealer.  They Are Essentially The Same As The WI64...But With A Spectacular Pearloid Finish And Gold Hardware.

A Direct Email Reply Received In 2008...From Washburn Regarding The Limited Production Of This Guitar Is Kept With The WI64PL And Washburn Hard Shell Case.

~The Buzz Feiten Tuning System~  This Method Is The Precise Placement Of The Shelf String Nut Between The Top Of
The Neck - The First Fret - And The Bridge On The Guitar...Therefore Resulting In Balanced Intonation And Constant Pleasant Tones...Regardless Of The Instrument's Scale Length And Which Fret Or Note That Is Played.

A Truly Desirable Collectible In Its Right Due To the Select Number Of "PL's" That Were Produced...And Still Exist.  Surprisingly Excellent.

Do You Have An Unusual Or Unique Washburn?  Share Your Guitar With Us! 

Post Your Photos Here!  Enjoy The Forum.  TVH.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2013, 04:23:04 PM by UniqueGuitars »

Offline BlueBuddha

• View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/bluebuddha
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2009, 04:48:44 PM »
thats a pimps guitar right there!

What do you want to do tomorrow?

Offline Cornish Boy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2009, 08:14:51 AM »
Now that is an impressive finish, not my choice but i'm glad that you've put a picture of it up. One question, how would you compare the Washburns Pearloid finish to finishes on other guitars in your collection? Taking into consideration the retail price of course.

I Roll With The Eighties And Rock With The Washburns

Coincidence?     Item number: 220338199107 On USA Ebay $450 BIN
« Last Edit: January 03, 2009, 04:50:54 PM by Cornish Boy »

Offline UniqueGuitars

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2009, 10:29:38 AM »
Hi BlueBuddha, Chuckle this one does appear flashy in the light.

We are always looking for the unusual yet appealing instruments that side step the traditional with a creative approach.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2009, 10:55:38 AM by UniqueGuitars »

Offline T-Bone

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2009, 03:39:47 PM »
What kind of special customizing would you do?

Offline soundwoods

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2009, 06:09:50 PM »

Hi, I have a Washburn EA86? I could use some
help with where I can find some info? I was told maybe form the 70’s era.
No body seems to know much about the model.
Hopefully you can help, please at your convenience.

Thanks
Boyd

Offline Cornish Boy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2009, 06:36:21 PM »
Hi Soundwoods and welcome to the forum. There's some info on>>

http://www.washburn.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=13593&SearchTerms=EA36

I Roll With The Eighties And Rock With The Washburns

Offline UniqueGuitars

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2009, 08:20:45 PM »
Hello Cornishboy,  We lean towards instruments with a eye grabbing finish, styling, and the appearence that stands alone from the majority. The pearloid finish was one that you dont see every day in your music store.  Alot of guitars have a nice finish...but just don't get your attention. Some instruments are attained by model, year, and price; others by finish, features, tone, and much more.  Thanks for your reply, question, and added info. Have a great day.

Offline UniqueGuitars

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2009, 08:56:43 PM »
Hi T-bone, basically we would start with the appearence and study the guitar for areas that would be improved by any positive changes made.  This could be hardware, pickguard, adding to the finish, installing different pickups, frets, controls, fine tuning, etc. No two guitars or people are the same, this is what makes customizing challenging, creative, and exciting.

Offline T-Bone

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2009, 12:24:33 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by UniqueGuitars

Hi T-bone, basically we would start with the appearence and study the guitar for areas that would be improved by any positive changes made.  This could be hardware, pickguard, adding to the finish, installing different pickups, frets, controls, fine tuning, etc. No two guitars or people are the same, this is what makes customizing challenging, creative, and exciting.

Yeah, I know that.  I was just wondering if you had any specific plans in mind with upgrading that guitar...just curious (tech talk). [:)]

Offline username

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2009, 01:04:30 PM »
What pickups does it have? They DO differ from those on WI64DL[:)]
« Last Edit: January 04, 2009, 01:05:01 PM by username »
=)

Offline UniqueGuitars

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2009, 10:40:06 AM »
Hello Username, we have not checked on the model pickups in the WI64PL. We know that some of the WI64DL's use the WB630 pickups. We are not a fan of open faced pickups so they would prabably be swapped out in the future. Washburn or someone in the forum may be able to answer this topic for you. Thanks.

Offline UniqueGuitars

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2009, 11:26:22 AM »
Hello T-bone, No immediate WI64PL plans yet.  But...if we were to start a project on this one, the pickups would be covered humbuckers of our choice, the frets would be stainless, the stock plastic nut would be replaced with more solid material, etc., the pickguard changed and redesinged, the bridge would be a roller, controls would be changed to accomodate stock or standard tone with a pushpull switch.  Maybe fresh styled inlay and a set of stainless flatwound strings...yada yada. The rest...is sheer imagination and creativity to completion.[:)]

Offline eurotrashed

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2009, 05:42:50 PM »
If you get rid of the plastic nut you loose the Buzz Feiten tuning system, IIRC.

The pickups are the same as the WI64DL I believe.  I have a set of my stock pickups sitting here and there isn't any markings on them other than R on the bridge pickup and F on the neck

Offline BlueBuddha

• View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/bluebuddha
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2009, 06:04:39 PM »
gotta ask, your speaking from the point of view of 'we' ? is Unique guitars a shop or something?

What do you want to do tomorrow?