Username: Password:

Author Topic: F52SWCE Endpin Jack loose  (Read 3145 times)

Offline tom136

• View Profile
F52SWCE Endpin Jack loose
« on: January 18, 2009, 03:43:09 PM »
I have an F52SWCE with a loose endpin jack.
Hoping that I can tighten it from outside the body but I do not see a nut. Wondered if the endpin jack strap button is clipped or screwed over the tightening nut...the button doesn't give to light persuasion and didn't want to crank on it if it was not the going to get me to a fastener that I could tighten.
Also, the cord plug is a ridiculuously tight fit into and out of the jack. I have tried some electrical connection grease/lube... and this helps a little but It's way tighter than it should be...

Any suggestions would be appreciated
tsp

Offline tom136

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2009, 04:26:46 PM »
Thanks for the forward re: Stew macs tool..
I was looking at the Fishman endpin jacks and see that they offer one with an external tightening nut... Was hopping the B band pkg would be similar..
Tried to get inside the body and forearm's a bit tight. Guess I'll have to go with the specialty tool as per your suggestion. Tempted to put a dot of locktite on it once I get on it.
Thanks much for the quick reply!!

Any ideas re: excessively tight plug fit?
tsp

Offline Pike

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2009, 04:38:13 PM »
quote:
Tried to get inside the body and forearm's a bit tight.
Maybe get someone smaller to do it. Wife or kid maybe.

Offline Dreadman

• View Profile
    • G-Tech Guitar Works
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2009, 05:51:08 PM »
Hey Tom

I played with my F52SWCE and it turns out this is easy stuff.

Here it is assembled

The strap button unscrews from the shaft and hides the nut, which is also on the outside of the guitar. I'd use pliers with leather pads (or anything soft and strong).

There's also a little hole in the shaft that you can put a small screwdriver or something through to hold it still while you tighten the nut.

If your whole assembly is spinning free but the strap button is screwed on tight against the nut you'll have to find a way to hold the jack steady inside the guitar. Maybe reaching inside and gently gripping the jack with some long pliers. I wouldn't bother with any loctite. It would make it pretty difficult to remove later.

As for the tight fit - the positive terminal of the jack (curved metal strip in the pic) functions as a spring to hold the plug in and yours is just a bit too tight. You might try inserting a thin screwdriver in the jack, feeling around and bending the terminal back slightly. Check the fit frequently with a plug and don't go too far or you'll have to remove the whole jack to bend it back.

Dreadman
my guitars
Sometimes you eat the bear, sometimes the bear eats you
« Last Edit: January 18, 2009, 06:10:42 PM by Dreadman »
Dreadman

The easiest way to make people believe you are a good man is to be a good man.

Offline Dreadman

• View Profile
    • G-Tech Guitar Works
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2009, 06:13:32 PM »
That's strange. My EA20 has the same arrangement as the 52. I'm sure they use whatever's cost effective at the time of assembly though.

Dreadman
my guitars
Dreadman

The easiest way to make people believe you are a good man is to be a good man.

Offline Guitar GeeK

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2011, 03:42:22 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Dreadman

Hey Tom

I played with my F52SWCE and it turns out this is easy stuff.

Here it is assembled

The strap button unscrews from the shaft and hides the nut, which is also on the outside of the guitar. I'd use pliers with leather pads (or anything soft and strong).

There's also a little hole in the shaft that you can put a small screwdriver or something through to hold it still while you tighten the nut.

If your whole assembly is spinning free but the strap button is screwed on tight against the nut you'll have to find a way to hold the jack steady inside the guitar. Maybe reaching inside and gently gripping the jack with some long pliers. I wouldn't bother with any loctite. It would make it pretty difficult to remove later.

As for the tight fit - the positive terminal of the jack (curved metal strip in the pic) functions as a spring to hold the plug in and yours is just a bit too tight. You might try inserting a thin screwdriver in the jack, feeling around and bending the terminal back slightly. Check the fit frequently with a plug and don't go too far or you'll have to remove the whole jack to bend it back.

Dreadman
my guitars