Username: Password:

Author Topic: WG2S Parlour Guitar (Acoustic)  (Read 21801 times)

Offline cedwards

• View Profile
WG2S Parlour Guitar (Acoustic)
« on: January 27, 2009, 09:24:23 PM »
Hey, all! Been on the forum for a couple of years but I'm pretty sure this is my first post. Total noob.

I've had, for close to 10 years now, A WG2S that my loving wife gave me for Christmas. Fell in love with this guitar at music store in Saint John and am still in love with it today (wife too!). Cost somewhere around $450 CDN back then.

I've been able to find out almost nothing about this guitar on the web. Does anyone know her well? Serial No. SC01051156. Here are some (admittedly lousy) pics:

« Last Edit: January 27, 2009, 10:12:13 PM by cedwards »
Seize the Fish
WG2S, D10SCE, WI45, JM300S, Lyon L115
'70s Univox LP Copy

Offline Pike

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2009, 12:55:40 AM »
Hi cedwards, welcome to the forum. Beautiful Washburn, could have been built for the Canadian market. Have you tried customer service for info?

Offline YerDugliness

• Pearl, TX jams at: www.pearlbluegrass.com/
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2009, 11:07:23 AM »
If Washburn's normal practice is followed for this model, the S designation at the end would indicate the top to be solid wood.  The sides and back are most assuredly ash, and most likely laminate products.  

As for the tonewood on the soundboard, I'd almost have to say cedar.  That nice, light honey color would lead me to believe that, but at times finishes can yellow and make spruce look almost as honey-colored as cedar.  I thought I might be able to tell from the graining in the photo of the rosette, but no dice.......more photos?

IMHO it's a good combination--the solid wood top will yield tonal improvements as the wood goes through the ageing process and ash is a very good wood for the body of the guitar.  It's hard, dense, and as an added bonus quite heavily grained--I think it's beautiful.  Ash tends to be heavy, but in a laminate, probably not.  My first Washburn was my WD32S, a guitar with a solid wood top and a laminate body, and it has a fine tone and lots of volume.

Sounds like both the guit and the wife are keepers [:D] !

Welcome to the forum, here's hoping we'll hear more from you now that you've made your first post.

Dugly [8D]

YerDugliness, Esq./Post No Bills
Lifelong Audiophile
Guitar Playin' FOOL
Retired & attempting to age disgracefully!!!

The crew:
Washburns: WD32S, WD32SW and D61SW
Epiphones: a Dot '63 ES335 repop,  Masterbilt AJ500RC (FINALLY!!)
Yamaha Classical guitars: G231-II and G60A
Hippner #506 concert grade classical (arrived damaged, repairs underway)
Takamine 2005 LTD Edition
Breedlove custom shop Deluxe Build Revival 000 slot-headed 12-fretter
A Hohner classical I left at a vacation home in SW KS.
Ibanez RX20

YerDugliness,Esq./Post No Bills
Guitar Playin' FOOL, attempting to age disgracefully!
Washburns:WD32SW,D61SW,D62SW,C124SWK,
WMJ21S(2),WGO26SCE,WSJ60SKELITE,WG26S (2).
Other fine acoustics:Breedlove custom shop 000,Hippner #506 Hauser,Takamini 2005 LTD,Epi Masterbilt AJ500RC

Offline cedwards

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2009, 12:35:05 PM »
Yer Dugliness,

Humble thanks for your friendly and welcoming post. I'll try to squeeze off a close-up top grain shot tonight.

Chris
Seize the Fish
'70s Univox LP Copy

Offline cedwards

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2009, 02:13:53 PM »
Re: keepers. It's not like I have a choice in either case [:)]. All tied up and lovin' it!
Seize the Fish
'70s Univox LP Copy

Offline strings

• View Profile
    • http://jeremysmithmusic.com
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2009, 08:24:40 PM »
yes this   is definately  a fine looking guitar , an excellent piece of craftmanship from the offshore company  I just love mine , yes I am Canadian too as was told that is was for the canadian market to sell, I use D'addario flat top strings and find that this makes this guitar just purrrrrrrrrrrr for excellent finger picking , with all the inlay and beautiful wood this WG2S is definately a keeper ; I also have changed the bridgepins that have the same inlay on top, my wife even thinks that this a beutiful guitar to look at   ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;strings

Offline Squint

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2009, 10:08:22 PM »
Looks like it was made by Samick in China, 2001.

That's all I got...

Oh, and it's freakin' BEAUTIFUL!

[8D]

'93 & '97 Washburn J-9 Washingtons  
'88 Washburn J-6
'01 Washburn J28S12DL Cumberland 12-str.
'02 Washburn J28SCEDL Cumberland
'90 Washburn EA20YBR Festival
'83 Washburn D66SW (That's right, D66 fanboys!)Prairie Song Custom
'04 Washburn D104SCE  
'04 & '05 D'Aquisto CENTURAS (violin burst)
'77 Electra Jazz Strad
'77 Electra Maple Pro (autographed by Bill Nelson)
'04 Aria PE SPL DLX SD
'82 Aria ProII Thor Sound 600
'05 Agile 2500-12
'06 Agile TC-630
Fender P-bass

ANOTHER PROUD MEMBER OF THE CUMBERLAND BRIGADE!

www.soundclick.com/thecoastalcowboys
www.myspace.com/thecoastalcowboys
« Last Edit: January 28, 2009, 10:09:27 PM by Squint »
'93 Washburn J-9 Washington
'97 Washburn J-9 Washington  
'02 Washburn J28SCEDL Cumberland
'90 Washburn EA20YBR Festival
'83 Washburn D66SW Prairie Song Custom
'04 Washburn D104SCE  
'04 D'Aquisto CENTURA
'05 D'Aquisto CENTURA
(both violin burst)
'77 Electra X-410 Jazz Strad
'77 Electra Maple Pro (autographed by Bill Nelson)
'04 Aria PE SPL DLX SD
'82 Aria ProII Thor Sound 600
'05 Agile 2500-12
'06 Agile TC-630
Fender P-bass

ANOTHER PROUD MEMBER OF THE CUMBERLAND BRIGADE!

www.soundclick.com/thecoastalcowboys
www.myspace.com/thecoastalcowboys

Offline strings

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2009, 09:04:08 AM »
just checking my serial number on my WG2S and it's close to the same and being a few provinces apart , I am curious to know if this model was only made in 2001 for the Canadian market , can any one answer that ;;;;;strings

Offline YerDugliness

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2009, 12:09:47 PM »
Here's hoping Washburn can find out more for you, perhaps you should PM the moderator, WBNick.  It has been our experience that he is more than willing to help our forum members and he might have access to some documents that will clear up some issues.  

So this is a parlor guitar, eh?  Parlors have enjoyed a renaissance in recent years.  I like the shape of parlors....very heavily waisted and not too deep!

Washburn also produced a folk guitar with laminated ash sides and back.  That piece also has a cedar top (IMHO, that's a huge positive factor, LOVE the sound of cedar, but it's fragile and really needs to be played fingerstyle).  It is not near as highly decorated as is your guitar---man, all that abalone really looks nice!

quote:
Originally posted by strings

yes this   is definately  a fine looking guitar , an excellent piece of craftmanship from the offshore company.  I just love mine...

Strings, what is your take on the soundboard's tonewood?  Just curious.....I've been GASing for Strumsalot's cedar/ash folk model, haven't gotten him to turn loose of it yet.

Here's a link to Strumsalot's thread so you can see his F11STS.

http://forums.washburn.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=11295

Onward through the fog [:p] !

Dugly [8D]

Lifelong Audiophile
Guitar Playin' FOOL

The crew:
Ibanez RX20

« Last Edit: January 29, 2009, 12:28:34 PM by YerDugliness »
Other fine acoustics:Breedlove custom shop 000,Hippner #506 Hauser,Takamini 2005 LTD,Epi Masterbilt AJ500RC

Offline cedwards

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2009, 09:16:04 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by strings

just checking my serial number on my WG2S and it's close to the same and being a few provinces apart , I am curious to know if this model was only made in 2001 for the Canadian market , can any one answer that ;;;;;strings

Hey, Strings! Well met. Thanks for the posts. So which province? Where ya to?
Seize the Fish
'70s Univox LP Copy

Offline cedwards

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2009, 09:22:47 PM »
quote:

As for the tonewood on the soundboard, I'd almost have to say cedar.  That nice, light honey color would lead me to believe that, but at times finishes can yellow and make spruce look almost as honey-colored as cedar.  I thought I might be able to tell from the graining in the photo of the rosette, but no dice.......more photos?

Yer Dugliness,

Sorry for late reply and no photos yet. Spent last night shovelling great jeezly mounds of newfallen snow out of my driveway. Not quite Texas today! In fact, this was a snow day for the school kids. Ahhh . . . to be, like my daughter, 16 and loafing at home on a bonus freebie day with no worries in the world.

Also busy tonight with other stuff but weekend is nigh and will get photos done. Thanks for the great info and insights.
Seize the Fish
'70s Univox LP Copy

Offline YerDugliness

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2009, 11:36:57 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by cedwards

Yer Dugliness,

Sorry for late reply and no photos yet. Spent last night shovelling great jeezly mounds of newfallen snow out of my driveway.

No worries, I lived in St. Johns, NewFoundland for a couple of years when I was young, so I know what you are up against.  My most vivid memory is of the intense cold, but the doors on the second stories of the houses, no stairs, just a door, that's a pretty durable memory, too.

Enjoy the snowstorm [;)] .  I usually put on the snowmobile suit, throw a lawn up chair out back, and sit and drink hot cinnamon schnapps while the snow flurries all around.  It's the only way I could find to enjoy the snow, and figuring it was either turn into an alcoholic or move away from the snow, I chose to move to Texas.  Four years ago we had 4 of snow [:0] .....go figure!!

And now, 7 cases of Hiram Walker Amaretto & Cognac later, I've almost erased that terrible memory.....just a few more.....sorry, gotta go [}:)] !

Dugly [8D]

Lifelong Audiophile
Guitar Playin' FOOL

The crew:
Ibanez RX20

« Last Edit: January 29, 2009, 11:39:08 PM by YerDugliness »

Offline cedwards

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2009, 09:20:15 AM »
quote:
My most vivid memory is of the intense cold, but the doors on the second stories of the houses, no stairs, just a door, that's a pretty durable memory, too.

As I mentioned in the Where are you Houndogs thread, locals refer to those as Mother-In-Law Doors - for use in the Summer.[:D]

Seize the Fish
Seize the Fish
'70s Univox LP Copy

Offline cedwards

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2009, 05:18:41 PM »
quote:

Yer Dugliness,

Here we go . . . two pics, one of bridge with grain and one fingerboard close-up. Top is a very straight, fine grain.

Friday at 7 pm. Already been banging away at learning a great new tune and set to go pickin' 'n' grinnin' with best buddy a little later.

Google Wheat Kings[^]
Google Corb Lund[8D]

Have a good weekend.

Chris

Seize the Fish
Seize the Fish
'70s Univox LP Copy

Offline strings

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2009, 05:46:27 PM »
this is an awesome site , hey Pike glad you are over here as well on this forum as well as on the acoustic forum  , you are a very respected man of knowledge when it comes to Washburn acoustics , anyways I too am in the snow country of Southern Ontario 3 feet and counting , who says that we have a Banana Belt here so much for that theory . Just came back from Florida and got to visit my favorite store In Tampa and that was Sam Ash What a disappointment , very little stock on Washburn's only 4 , two years ago while I was there they had many but now ARRRGGGG one of them was the new Parlour and I could.t even play that as it had a huge crack behind the bridge did end up playing a Taylor twelve string that retailed out at $3100.00 I.m glad I don.t own a Taylor Yuck  anyway back to the WG2S there is not one bit of negetivity if there is such a word about it , this is a collectors gem , a fine piece of Craftmanship and a pleasure to play , I love just picking away and even my little terrier loves the sound it produces ; Washburn needs to produce these again maybe for the American market for this could be a sure winner as sales are getting harder and this recession is looming in the foreground Maybe The Washburn Co. should listen to its followers thats us on these forums  to beat the competition on the demand , If I could get another one I   certainly  would own another WG2S ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;Strings