Username: Password:

Author Topic: WG2S Parlour Guitar (Acoustic)  (Read 22376 times)

Offline strings

• View Profile
    • http://jeremysmithmusic.com
WG2S Parlour Guitar (Acoustic)
« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2009, 06:16:49 PM »
Cedwards yes mine does have a slight curve behind the bridge but to me it's always been there and looks as though it was built that way also it is a even/perfect slight bow ; if it did bow upwards due to humidity  wouldn't the finish crack under the pressure , mine is perfect behind, but as I said to me it's part of the body build and meant to look that way . I've always had Guild lights on it for years but last year everyone on this forum talked about the D'addario flat tops lights now these are whats on it and does this guitar sing ;;;;;;;;;;;strings
« Last Edit: February 16, 2009, 06:18:19 PM by strings »

Offline cedwards

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 16, 2009, 08:20:15 PM »
Hmm. That's reassuring. Certainly on mine there's no sign of damage or finish cracking and the shape is very subtle. Did not see this when guitar was new but maybe I just missed it. I'm happy to take it as the sign of a good guitar maturing in a womanly way. She sounds better than ever. May try some flat tops - never done that. Thanks.

Seize the Fish
Lovely WG2S
Crap Lyon Electric
Crap Univox electric
Crap Ibanez acoustic
Roland Keyboard
Crap Dynamic Drums
Vox AD30VT
Crap mic
Behringer 1202FX
Coupla Roland Cube 30s
= Rockin' Basement

Seize the Fish
WG2S, D10SCE, WI45, JM300S, Lyon L115
'70s Univox LP Copy

Offline ordurante

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 22, 2009, 02:53:35 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Squint

Looks like it was made by Samick in China, 2001.

That's all I got...

Oh, and it's freakin' BEAUTIFUL!

[8D]

'93 & '97 Washburn J-9 Washingtons  
'88 Washburn J-6
'01 Washburn J28S12DL Cumberland 12-str.
'02 Washburn J28SCEDL Cumberland
'90 Washburn EA20YBR Festival
'83 Washburn D66SW (That's right, D66 fanboys!)Prairie Song Custom
'04 Washburn D104SCE  
'04 & '05 D'Aquisto CENTURAS (violin burst)
'77 Electra Jazz Strad
'77 Electra Maple Pro (autographed by Bill Nelson)
'04 Aria PE SPL DLX SD
'82 Aria ProII Thor Sound 600
'05 Agile 2500-12
'06 Agile TC-630
Fender P-bass

ANOTHER PROUD MEMBER OF THE CUMBERLAND BRIGADE!

www.soundclick.com/thecoastalcowboys
www.myspace.com/thecoastalcowboys

Offline cedwards

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 22, 2009, 08:12:19 PM »
Gracias ordurante!

By the way, since I put Nanowebs on this web, it seems to me like action has gone higher so I'm taking her in for a set-up. I'm going to put my trusty Martin SP+ strings back on her. Maybe it's just that my new D10SCE is SO easy to play that my hands have gotten lazy.

Seize the Fish
Washburn WG2S
Washburn D10SCE
Ibanez V300MH
Lyon L115
Univox Electric

Seize the Fish
'70s Univox LP Copy

Offline Scott18

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 12, 2009, 05:03:54 AM »
Hi everyone. I'm new to the forum - I stumbled on this site as I was trying to find information about the WG2S (not easy!)

I saw this lovely looking little guitar on ebay and, with a rush of blood to the head, I put in a low bid and forgot about it. I have never bought a guitar online before. I was tempted by the thought it might have a cedar soundboard and I guessed that Washburn wouldn't put Grover machine heads and abalone on a really bad guitar. Also, my wife and I had enjoyed a glass or two of red wine and it seemed a perfectly sensible thing to do at the time... Anyway, it turns out I won the guitar and it arrived yesterday.

It is in reasonable condition - quite a few dings (it has no case) but the neck is straight and the action is okay (low E a little high). However, it is a thing of rare beauty to my eyes - I am very pleased.

It seems to want to ring out - but the strings on it are old and in very poor condition.  They are coming off this morning and I am going to head out and buy some medium lights - any suggestions?

I also have the slight bulge behind the bridge (can't see it - can only feel it).

Did you find anything else out about this guitar?

To be is to do - Socrates
To do is to be - Sartre
 Do be do be do - Sinatra

Washburn WG2S
Taylor DN3
Vintage V300

Offline cedwards

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 12, 2009, 07:58:23 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by Scott18

It seems to want to ring out - but the strings on it are old and in very poor condition.  They are coming off this morning and I am going to head out and buy some medium lights - any suggestions?

Hey Scott18,

It really does want to ring out. That's what I love most about mine. Very bright highs and it rings forever. I use Martin SP+ medium lights and find they suit the guitar very well. I tried some Elixer Nanowebs but didn't much care for 'em and am a little concerned they have raised the action. I'm going to get a professional setup done and go back to the SP+. Congrats! I'm thinking you got a very good buy. Got pics?

Pretty much everything I know about these is on this forum. You can find it all if you search WG2S. Chinese manufacture (at least mine is), dated around 2001. Seems to have been made as an export with most popping up in Canada, UK and, I notice, at least one in Brazil.

Welcome to the forums! Lots of good folks around here. They like beer.[:)]

Seize the Fish
Washburn WG2S
Washburn D10SCE
Ibanez V300MH
Lyon L115
Univox Electric

« Last Edit: June 12, 2009, 09:19:30 AM by cedwards »
Seize the Fish
'70s Univox LP Copy

Offline Scott18

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 12, 2009, 03:16:03 PM »
Hi Cedwards,

Well I like beer too, so I am feeling welcome already! We English like to drink it warm though - not sure if you approve of that sort of thing in Canada.

I got an email from Washburn telling me this:-

Bracing: Std X
Top material: Solid cedar
Back: Ash
Sides: Ash
Shape and depth: Grand concert: 270 & 388mm, 490mm long 85 & 95 thick
Radius: 320mm
Fingerboard: Rosewood

Mine is a 2001 model, made in China. I cut those horrible old strings off and started cleaning away years of gunk off the fretboard with some lemon oil and an old T-shirt. The rosewood fretboard was very grateful and feels (and smells) great. I gave the body a really good clean with a damp cloth and buffed it up. Then I tried something I have never tried before - brass tone pins (so far, I think they a gimmick - but my ear isn't anything special). The best strings I could find at my local guitar shop (very small) was some Martin 80/20 bronze custom lights (.011-.052)

Well I am in love. It doesn't have the volume of my dreadnought, obviously, but I am a get-the-kids-to bed-sit-on-the-sofa-strumming kind of a guy. So who needs volume? And I am no great player - I just get more out of fooling around with a guitar than watching TV. The guitar also has something far more important but I can't quite put my finger on it. It is just so comfortable in my hands and responds, even to very light finger picking, with a definition and complexity that I have not come across before. It also rings out forever, I really see what you mean. What a piece of luck!

I don't really know if I got a good deal or not (and I don't know if you are allowed to talk prices on this forum). But that is not really the point. To me it feels like unexpected good fortune.

I have taken some photos - they are so-so (it is 9.00 pm and so the light is fading fast). However, I cannot work out how to download them. Any advice?

Glad to meet a fellow WG2S owner. My wife is out having a meal with girlfriends tonight, so I am going to crack open a bottle of Spitfire (Kentish ale) and settle down on the couch with my new toy...heh heh

(I am a lawyer too, by the way - but don't spread it around. At least you don't have to wear a horse hair wig when you go to court).

Kind regards,
Scott
To do is to be - Sartre
 Do be do be do - Sinatra

Washburn WG2S
Taylor DN3
Vintage V300

Offline cedwards

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 15, 2009, 02:57:31 PM »
quote:

Hi Cedwards,

Well I like beer too, so I am feeling welcome already! We English like to drink it warm though - not sure if you approve of that sort of thing in Canada.

I like my beer at room temperature. I'm a home brewer with a taste that runs toward well-hopped pale and brown ales. Warmth brings the flavours out. I have some experience with pubs in Kent (Seven Oaks area) and I heartily approve.

quote:

It is just so comfortable in my hands and responds, even to very light finger picking, with a definition and complexity that I have not come across before. It also rings out forever, I really see what you mean. What a piece of luck!

That's it exactly. It's very comfortable guitar and just right for around the house (parlour) strumming. As well, of course, she's perfect for just sitting around and accepting long drinks with the eyes; really, a very lovely guitar.

quote:

I don't really know if I got a good deal or not (and I don't know if you are allowed to talk prices on this forum). But that is not really the point. To me it feels like unexpected good fortune.

What people will not do here is disparage any of Washburn's dealers. They will happily talk about prices and Pike is an excellent source of information on present values of used instruments. However, I don't think the WG2S is in the Blue Book and I'm not sure he will be able to help. I paid about CDN$450 for mine, new from the shop in 2001. As it is a solid top, it should maintain some value for its sound. Of course, those dings will hurt.

quote:

I have taken some photos - they are so-so (it is 9.00 pm and so the light is fading fast). However, I cannot work out how to download them. Any advice?

The principle is that this forum needs a url from a website that hosts photos. Most people here use PhotoBucket. I use TinyPic. You upload the photos to that hosting site (they are free) and then look for a url reference to paste into your post on this forum. TinyPic gives a choice so make certain that you pick the url for message boards/forums to get the right size (320 x 400 if memory serves).

quote:

(I am a lawyer too, by the way - but don't spread it around. At least you don't have to wear a horse hair wig when you go to court).

From what I can see, this forum is lousy with guitar-strumming, beer-tipping barristers, masters and minions alike. You fit right in. I'm not sure how you wear the horsehair without giggling; overwhelmed by tradition and decorum (which I do respect), I suppose. I don't think I could do it but, then, my work is corporate and rarely in the courts.

Again, welcome and enjoy the WG2S. She's a sweetie, to be sure. Good find!

Seize the Fish
Washburn WG2S
Washburn D10SCE
Ibanez V300MH
Lyon L115
Univox Electric

« Last Edit: June 15, 2009, 02:58:18 PM by cedwards »
Seize the Fish
'70s Univox LP Copy

Offline Scott18

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 20, 2009, 03:52:07 AM »
Quote: I like my beer at room temperature. I'm a home brewer with a taste that runs toward well-hopped pale and brown ales. Warmth brings the flavours out. I have some experience with pubs in Kent (Seven Oaks area) and I heartily approve.

How funny - I am sitting in my study in Sevenoaks now - south side of town close to Knole Park (and the White Hart pub) - we have been living here for 12 years now.

Anyway, must dash off and take the kids to all their Saturday morning sports clubs...

Have fun
Scott
To do is to be - Sartre
 Do be do be do - Sinatra

Washburn WG2S
Taylor DN3
Vintage V300

Offline strings

• View Profile
    • http://jeremysmithmusic.com
« Reply #39 on: July 08, 2009, 06:00:50 PM »
hey Scott18 , this WG2S is a real catch I too have one and this guitar rings , sounds awesome and YES looks pretty ;;;;;enjoy   strings

Offline ashadowman

• View Profile
    • http://www.reverbnation.com/ashadowman
« Reply #40 on: January 24, 2010, 10:21:05 PM »
they are great guitars ...I thoroughly enjoy mine ... has anyone electrified one ???

Thanks !
 Rick
The problem with political jokes is they get elected.

Offline cedwards

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 25, 2010, 10:35:42 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by ashadowman

they are great guitars ...I thoroughly enjoy mine ... has anyone electrified one ???

Thanks !
 Rick

The problem with political jokes is they get elected.

Hey Shadowman,

Welcome to the forum. I thought about doing that with B-Band stuff but, in the end, couldn't bear the prospect of messing up the WG2S - it was a gift from the Lovely Wife and it will stay as it is, at least in my hands. So I bought a D10SCE instead. now I've got the best of both worlds.

Seize the Fish
'70s Univox LP Copy

Offline nice

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 23, 2010, 01:17:59 PM »
Hi there! I´m from Argentina, and want to show you some pics of my WG2S.
I bought this guitar last october. It costed me 380U$s.
The guys at the guitarshop told me that the guitar was just entering the country. So I felt surprised, when searching data on the web, i found it was built in 2001!!!
Is few information about this guitar. The only i could find was on this forum. Thanks!
So, here are the pics.

Regards

Offline cedwards

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 23, 2010, 02:26:39 PM »
Nice,

Very nice, indeed! I'm curious - did it come with a hardshell case?
Seize the Fish
'70s Univox LP Copy

Offline cedwards

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 23, 2010, 09:56:18 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Pike

Hi Nice, welcome to the forum. She's a beauty! Could you guys post a couple pics of these in the Vintage/Rare section?

Pike,

Done. Is the JM300S another guitar that should be represented in the Vintage/Rare section? If so, happy to put some pics there. If not, I don't mine you saying so.

Chris
Seize the Fish
'70s Univox LP Copy