Username: Password:

Author Topic: EC-29  (Read 13154 times)

Offline Cornish Boy

• View Profile
EC-29
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2009, 11:15:35 AM »
Hi Guitar Bodd, and welcome to the forum.
Well as you say price is difficult to judge, I've seen a couple go on ebay for under $400 but on the US ebay there's one starting at $999. only thing I can suggest is keep an eye on others that crop up and if you do decide to sell put a feeler out on here in the electric forum, maybe the Americans are more interested or have more loose change. Would appreciate a couple of pics if possible, always good to see a nice guitar.

I Roll With The Eighties And Rock With The Washburns

Offline Guitar Bodd

• View Profile
EC-29
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2009, 05:24:58 AM »
ONce I've sussed how to put the pics on ,I will!!...

If the guitar is not that high value then I may decide to fit passive pu's ,but keep the original electronics safe, should I ever need to revert it back to original spec. MY daughter wants to Inherit it, so it's unlikely I'll ever sell, unless someone offered my $1k+. Even by todays build standards, it is an exceptionally well made guitar and would DEFINATELY be over the $1000+ in today market,if it were a new model. (I believe only 200 were made for the UK market..is this true?)

Offline BlueBuddha

• View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/bluebuddha
EC-29
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2009, 07:25:02 AM »
its just not worth that dude, honestly.

What do you want to do tomorrow?

Offline Cornish Boy

• View Profile
EC-29
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2009, 07:25:49 AM »
Hi again, finding reliable evidence on Washburn guitars made late seventies through the eighties is like digging in sand, just when you thought you had it sussed someone comes up with a model in a series that's just different to the others. As for the number of these guitars produced I don't think even Washburn knows. If they can't tell how many Dime Slimes were made (quite recent) I don't hold out much hope for a definate number on the EC series. It's only by the various posts on this forum that we get reliable info on specs etc from other owners of the same models.
As for pics, try http://photobucket.com/ it's free to join and relatively simple to use. If you don't mind I will copy one or two of them to add to a small collection i'm getting together of the eighties models for comparisons etc.
You could try mailing Washburn customer service any questions you have about numbers and I really hope they can enlighten you, but going by past questions sent, the records leave big holes through that period on all series.
Anyway Happy Hunting, and if you find out anything new please post it here. Cheers CB
Here's a link to the Bass version of your EC Well worth a look.
http://forums.washburn.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14994
« Last Edit: March 15, 2009, 07:29:12 AM by Cornish Boy »

Offline arykala

• View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/adamrykalaguitar
EC-29
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2009, 09:02:22 AM »
Actually they ARE worth about $750 - 1k  - particularly in vgc condition - cause they're pretty early examples of the SEC and have some other features that Washburn prototyped with them. N series guitars reach over and above that with a SEC, and they're far rarer and now more desirable to the collector (particularly in the US) then most Washburns of a similar time scale (roughly 86-89). . On ebay EC's regularly reach up to this amount and the few I have seen that are still quite stock hit that target easily - its just rare to find them in VGC condition and unblemished

They're late 80's rather then 70's CB ;-)

Numbers are difficult to ascertain for the EC series but they're not common - and rarer still as stock rather then modified items

--

Washburn HM-24V (proto) / KC 90v x2 (Red, Translucent)/ MG 74/ MG 800 / Fernandes Revolver Pro w\\Sustainer / Ibanez 540 Radius (91 HSS) / Chimera (coming soon)
--

Washburn HM-24V (proto) / KC 90v x3 (Red, Translucent Gold, Translucent Pearl)/ MG 74/ MG 800 / Fernandes Revolver Pro w\\Sustainer / Ibanez 540 Radius (91 HSS) / Ibanez RGT42 BP / No Name LP Copy / LTD MH250 / Relic Strat / Artcore AG85 / Chimera (coming soon)

Offline the_high_number

• View Profile
EC-29
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2009, 11:57:58 AM »
Value is a wierd one!!  if guitar bodd says he won't sell for less than a grand then that's how much it's worth to him.  i think if i had spare money i'd be willing to pay a lot of money i'd be willing to pay quite a bit for one, maybe not that much, but there's just something about them that appeals, dunno why!!!

but i don't have spare money, so it's irrelevant!

Offline Cornish Boy

• View Profile
EC-29
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2009, 12:29:25 PM »
Here's one on ebay UK going soon. Now I know it's not in the best condition but a refinish would cure that. Let's see what it goes for.  Item number: 180334283544

Offline arykala

• View Profile
EC-29
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2009, 12:44:51 PM »
Is that the one with the gap where the humbuckers been reseated?

Ah yes it is... thats a shame, still wish I had the cash!

--

Washburn HM-24V (proto) / KC 90v x2 (Red, Translucent)/ MG 74/ MG 800 / Fernandes Revolver Pro w\\Sustainer / Ibanez 540 Radius (91 HSS) / Chimera (coming soon)
--

Washburn HM-24V (proto) / KC 90v x3 (Red, Translucent Gold, Translucent Pearl)/ MG 74/ MG 800 / Fernandes Revolver Pro w\\Sustainer / Ibanez 540 Radius (91 HSS) / Ibanez RGT42 BP / No Name LP Copy / LTD MH250 / Relic Strat / Artcore AG85 / Chimera (coming soon)

Offline BlueBuddha

• View Profile
EC-29
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2009, 01:04:37 PM »
crazy moving the pickup. i'm aware that it can get it away from a harmonincally dead spot or add more mid/bass to the tone, but damn, it leaves a mess.

Offline Cornish Boy

• View Profile
EC-29
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2009, 02:30:45 PM »
No bids on $360, I don't believe nobody in the country had the cash, and it's only a finish problem so personally I reckon a fair price on the same model in good condition would be in the $400 to $500 region. I would also prefer the Bass version if I could win more than a tenner on the lottery. No need for the extra frets in a studio, get everything I need with 24.

Offline BlueBuddha

• View Profile
EC-29
« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2009, 02:38:50 PM »
and that model had a more traditional floyd rose too, without the eye burning paint job! Its just not that sought after i guess.

22 frets is enough for me, bending up to the imaginary 24th fret sounds better too :P

Offline the_high_number

• View Profile
EC-29
« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2009, 02:41:14 PM »
Think it's the same one i found in the classified ads a while back looking at the location!!

that could make for a small project to restore it to how it should be.  but you're right, there's something very very nice about the bass version!!!

Offline the_high_number

• View Profile
EC-29
« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2009, 03:26:36 PM »
does any one know muc habout the EC series electronics??  i've been googlying them, and have noticed (it's not taken me long to sport it now has it!!!)

the EC-29 seems t ohave volume, tone (or another volume??) pup selector, and what looks like a rotary switch, what's the switch for???

Offline Cornish Boy

• View Profile
EC-29
« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2009, 03:34:21 PM »
Trouble with the one just gone is stripping it back would require a wood infill of matching timber. I've no doubt it's possible and you would finish up with quite an instrument. I still can't believe that guitar had a dead spot that necessitated such drastic action in the first place. No guitar manufacturer would let out a limited edition with a dead zone, and even if this particular guitar did have one, surely raising or replacing the actual pup would have been a better option than cutting out and resiting .

Offline arykala

• View Profile
EC-29
« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2009, 03:37:07 PM »
There were active electronics on the original EC's so the third rotary control was an active mid boost IIRC

--

--