Username: Password:

Author Topic: New 6 string acoustic  (Read 1862 times)

Offline chilly

• View Profile
New 6 string acoustic
« on: March 05, 2009, 03:42:03 PM »
I'm in the market for a new guitar and I have played the D-10S and really like it.  Being new to Washburn, I would like some feedback from those more experienced with the brand.  I'v also played the Oscar Schmidt OG6S and like it as well.  Any info will be greatly appreiated.

Chilly

Offline Tio Kimo

• you're never too old to be what you might've been
    • View Profile
New 6 string acoustic
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2009, 03:58:32 PM »
Brew a pot of coffee, get comfy, and try the search feature. I don't think there's too many questions you won't find answers too. But if there are a few, ask away.

Welcome to the forum.

Cheers
http://www.oldtownschool.org/
'95 Washburn D-55SW Cherokee (Bourgeois)
'04 Larrivée LV-03 w/ Fishman blend
'02 Heritage 535
'12 Heritage 150
'10 Larrivée RS-2
'11 Benford Tele
'12 Kirn Barn Buster
Marshall AS50D
Little Lanilei 3350LT
Champlifier
Boogie DC-2

Offline circjam

• View Profile
New 6 string acoustic
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2009, 05:53:35 PM »
I have never read search but do have a D10SZ... thats a solid spruce top,Lam.zebra wood sides and back, mahogany neck.  I installed a tusq saddle and that enhances the sound a bunch.
We played it against 5 other D10S, and this by far was the best of that bunch.  My opinion, if that matters, is to have someone in the music shop play them all for you, and then make your descision.  Of course before anyone argues, the guitars playability to your own posture and technique should also be considered.  Further, if you are ever thinking of selling your instrument, the manufacturer or name on headstock ) will play a significant role..good luck

Offline Dreadman

• View Profile
    • G-Tech Guitar Works
New 6 string acoustic
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2009, 06:50:39 PM »
If you're looking at solid top dreadnaughts in that price range then, historically, the D10 is as good as any. The only thing I'd suggest is that you buy it from an actual store - and one with obviously friendly, helpful people. There have been quality issues lately and you don't want to try dealing with an internet company (or worse yet, an ebay seller) about repair/replacement.

Dreadman
my guitars
Sometimes you eat the bear, sometimes the bear eats you
Dreadman

The easiest way to make people believe you are a good man is to be a good man.

Offline evenkeel

• View Profile
New 6 string acoustic
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2009, 07:17:33 PM »
Welcome to the gang.
I'll second dreadmans comments.  D10 is a very good value.  I do not own one, but have played several and liked them all.  Absolutely try and play before you buy.  QC is always an issue and not just with Washburn.  Particularly with the mid grade and opening price point guitars.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2009, 08:21:01 PM by evenkeel »

Offline Animal

• View Profile
New 6 string acoustic
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2009, 07:28:22 PM »
As a new Washburn owner, I agree with all of the above. But I can't stress enough, sit down and play the things, Washburn or other brands. How the guitar feels in your hands will effect how much you actually play it. Like anything else, it has to feel good. One of my favorite guitars I ever owned was a 100$ Hyashi? acoustic. Man I beat the hell outa that thing, and it never let me down. I wish I still had it.

Offline edge51va

• View Profile
New 6 string acoustic
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2009, 11:42:51 AM »
The D10S was the first guitar I purchased when, at the age of 52, I decided to overcome my apprehension about learning guitar. I purchased the D10S from a local Music-Go-Round store for approximately $150 and have found absolutely nothing wrong with it. I still play it along with my D52SW and two Epiphone acoustics (Dove - natural finish and Hummingbird - Ebony finish). The D10S stays in tune and still sounds good, one of the features of a solid wood top.

My Guitars:

Washburn D10S
Washburn D52SW
Epiphone Dove
Ed G.

My Guitars:

Washburn D10S
Washburn D52SW
Epiphone Dove
Epiphone Masterbilt EJ-500RVS