Username: Password:

Author Topic: What make someone a expert?  (Read 1339 times)

Offline magoo99

• View Profile
What make someone a expert?
« on: April 06, 2009, 02:29:08 PM »
This came up On another forum.
Thought I'd bring it up here...I've been playing Mandolin for around 15 yrs.  been playing Mandolin in bands for 12 of those yrs.
over this time, money to buy the best Mandolins always was a problem, but I never let that stop me...I played the s**t out of what I had.
I play in two bands now and fill in with at least two more...Not to toot my own horn but I'm pretty damn good at the style I play and I always can find work as a mando player.

I have tried many mandolins over the yrs and Love to be able to buy what I want, but I'm a injured worker and have a family to take care of..I now have a mandolin that I'm happy with. I see guys on these forums that probably know 1/4 as much as me, and probably can't even play giving Info like they are mando gods.[ I have met one , he seen me play and asked for lessens]...LOL
I guess unlike Me these guys are great writers..Its no trouble to get info fr the net and then retell it when asked for.
I like to keep it simple..when someone ask me what a good mando is for $150...I try to tell them what I think is a good deal for this price.
I always use to be hung up on what was the best and what others thought about what I had, until I met one of the people That I think is a mandolin god...he play my old mando on stage and liked it, when I started to say wish I had something better, he said why, If your comfortable with what you have and YOU like it thats all that counts.
after that day I let go of all the hang ups about what I should have and Played my heart out on what I do have ...I think that has made me a better Musician.

PS] come to the mandolin Forum here..Shiner now has er up and running...LOL and GREG is giving out some good info.  you know ya wanna...LOL

Cheers
Magoo

Offline Tio Kimo

• you're never too old to be what you might've been
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2009, 02:41:42 PM »
Play on, Magoo. I agree whole heartedly with several of your comments!!!

any recordings out there of you? youtube? I'd love to hear it. I hope to join you in the mando ranks this year. My list is long and I need to prioritize, but I think it'll happen.

cheers!
http://www.oldtownschool.org/
'95 Washburn D-55SW Cherokee (Bourgeois)
'04 Larrivée LV-03 w/ Fishman blend
'02 Heritage 535
'12 Heritage 150
'10 Larrivée RS-2
'11 Benford Tele
'12 Kirn Barn Buster
Marshall AS50D
Little Lanilei 3350LT
Champlifier
Boogie DC-2

Offline magoo99

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2009, 02:48:31 PM »
Thanks Tio, don't know if they are on Utube But I know there are some on FB..they are not well done but the band sounds alright...I have to figure out how I can get then..off the fan..LOL...to put here..I would love to share.