Username: Password:

Author Topic: N4 project resumed  (Read 2053 times)

Offline Weazelmania

• View Profile
N4 project resumed
« on: August 30, 2009, 11:53:05 AM »
Hi Guys,

First time poster here, some years ago I acquired a complete body N4 vintage minus the pickups, fair enough. I finally acquired a neck so decided to resume building, of course this was minus the hardware, I have tuning pegs that will fit... I think. But I was wondering what length screws to use to bolt the neck on? 38 mm seems just right using a tape mesaure, but also seems like it would JUST under the cutaway, I dont want to push through of course! Any ideas?

If the pegs I have don't fit, what Gotoh model number should I go for for the originality?

Thanks in advance,
Weazelmania.
???

Offline Weazelmania

• View Profile
N4 project resumed
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2009, 08:48:09 AM »
OK, I bit the bullet and got some screws, 40mm by 4mm thread seems quite nice, but I think I will push up two 42 mm under neck and keep the SEC at 40mm. May go up to a 5mm thread though just for extra support. Sound OK?

Sadly the tuning pegs I have are no good, but I think I have found they are Grover 305c 18:1 ratio gears? Can anyone confirm this?

Many thanks,
Weazlemania.

???

Offline Weazelmania

• View Profile
N4 project resumed
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2009, 01:53:18 PM »
Managed to pick up some left hand 305c6 inline Grovers, I think they are correct, fingers crossed.

Could really do with some info on these screws though, do I go up and extra mil on the thread width to 5mm by 40mm length? I know theres not alot to grab onto with an N4 neck but it's my first project so would need some info or advice on this. The 4mm ones just seemed to be nice and smooth, to smooth going in, although the neck doesn't appear to be going anywhere. Not the flushest fit but at least it looks straight so I guess it could be sanded afterwards to bring it flush on the SEC part.

Cheers again!

???