Username: Password:

Author Topic: Can Anyone Tell Me More About These Guitars?  (Read 13774 times)

Offline gtracer

• View Profile
Can Anyone Tell Me More About These Guitars?
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2009, 10:49:49 PM »
Late 70's->early 80's.
ANOTHER PROUD MEMBER OF THE FESTIVAL GUILD

Offline Gitfiddle

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2009, 04:18:27 PM »
Pretty guitar (Krimson)!!! Tomtom -- there is an old adage that says something is worth whatever you can sell it for at a given moment of time. (stocks are an excellent example -- their prices go up and down by the hour).  My own opinion is that a guitar is worth MORE than you can get for it.  They are a work of art  but the demand is not great enough to reflect the real value.  So they are hard to sell for what they are worth (to us).  One more thing:  the valule of a guitar is not realted to prices in  a guitar store -- vendors have to market a product and are governed by margins and cost profiles.  That has NOTHING to do with the quality of a guitar.  It has to do with placement in a market.  If you have a nice  guitar, you have a nice guitar (period).   If its not nice .. it's not nice (period).
« Last Edit: November 01, 2009, 04:22:12 PM by Gitfiddle »

Offline Hecube

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2011, 10:11:53 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by krimson

It seems I have a similiar 12 string.  I'm trying to find more information on my guitar as well.  I know it is a Monterey.  Serial reads  No.88067 Here are some pics:

Very nice guitar! I want one.
Play.

Offline Zero G

• View Profile
Re: Can Anyone Tell Me More About These Guitars?
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2012, 03:36:38 PM »
Hello...  I just found this forum, and my Washburn Monterey was a high school graduation present in June 1974.  Serial # 90552.  Anyone with any information about it?  Plays beautifully, though it could use a fret job.  This guitar has been with me all this time, love it.

Offline gtracer

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2012, 12:36:44 AM »
Welcome Zero G!  Can you provide any more info on you Monterey?  Does it have any other writing on the inside?
ANOTHER PROUD MEMBER OF THE FESTIVAL GUILD

Offline kingbaboon47

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2012, 04:22:59 PM »
Here is a link to some old brochures.

www.vintagewashburn.com/Acoustic/Festival.html

Offline t.y.

• Loud pipes save lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2012, 07:11:00 PM »
Man would I love to own that, Exotic Magma EA50, 1987. Never no I might get lucky. Tom.  :)

Offline Zero G

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2012, 07:46:39 PM »
Welcome Zero G!  Can you provide any more info on you Monterey?  Does it have any other writing on the inside?

It says, "MONTEREY" in block lettering and has a George Washburn belt logo visible in the sound hole.  The tuning machines are labeled "George Washburn and there is a belt logo George Washburn logo on the back of the headstock.  Will try to post pictures at some point.  Thank you.

Offline jamesv

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2012, 03:52:10 AM »
Hey Zero G, I'd love to see some pics of your monterey - I have just bought one at auction and I'm trying to find out more about it. It is a monterey custom and has a serial number of 92274. I think it could be early 80s - possibly earlier. Does it look anything like yours?

James

Offline evenkeel

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2012, 07:58:05 AM »
Very nice looking Monterey.  The serial number indicates a 1989 or 90 build date.  The Festival series started in the mid 80's.  The Monterey was built from the late 80's to 1991.

Zero G notes he has one that he thinks was a graduation present in 1974.  Can't explain that but Washburn did not make them that early.

Offline DaveTrees

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2012, 10:52:41 AM »
The Festival series started in the mid 80's.  The Monterey was built from the late 80's to 1991.

Actually they were around a little earlier than that .... I bought an EA44 Monterey in early 1981.  It was a tobacco sunburst one, identical to Krimson's 12 (except mine was a 6).  Played it to death until late 1984 when I traded it on  a D62SW.

Wish I still had it (as well as the D62, of course :)  ) - the electronics were never all that great, but I loved the small-body acoustic sound and it was really nice to play.

Dave

Offline evenkeel

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2012, 12:54:08 PM »
Ooops you are correct.  the EA 44 Monterey started in 1979.  Sorry about that.

Offline jamesv

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2012, 05:55:11 PM »
Mine doesn't have any reference to ea44 or festival, just a monterey custom stamp. I think it may be before they were known as E44s..?