Username: Password:

Author Topic: well, it was a good idea  (Read 15017 times)

Offline N4ESA_UK

• View Profile
well, it was a good idea
« on: June 04, 2009, 06:52:01 AM »
just got these lot for $86.  Some of em look like they need putting on the fire but even if I get 1 decent guitar out of it the price was right so Im happy!

I think I will go with a natural N6 with stainless engraved pick gaurd and ebony binding, oh and birdseye maple neck with wenge fretboard too.

I promise to do an update on the paddy N4 build soon.  Neck is on, body is rounded over and sanded and ive got all the parts ready to assemble it.  Just need a few days in the shed routing for the pickups / cavities  [:)]
if you cant afford it, build it

Offline the_high_number

• View Profile
well, it was a good idea
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2009, 08:00:08 AM »
Nice buy!!!

so, two N4 paduak, two N5/6 alder and an alder Nx6 fixed bridge by the look!!

do all of them look like they might be useable??

Offline N4ESA_UK

• View Profile
well, it was a good idea
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2009, 08:13:01 AM »
not sure, only won them last night so they shud be here in a week or 2.  They were listed with cracks / chips etc. but even after shipping, import duty and vat they work out at $30 each!  

I think I can close the cracks in the paddy bodies and if I need to fill the trem post holes and re-do them then ive got plenty of spare timber.  Ive also got some nice stainless steel left over from the splash back in the kitchen!  still in the wrapper and just waiting to be laser cut and engraved

Offline the_high_number

• View Profile
well, it was a good idea
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2009, 08:21:13 AM »
Be interested to know what the neck pockets are like, my neck doesn't quite sit in either my N4 or NX6 body quite right, was meaning to ask you about it before actually as you seems pretty good with these bad boys!!

i will try to get some decent photos to show you what i mean another time, but it's almost as though the neck needs to rotate down (as you look at it while you're playing) a mm or two.

if you sight down the body toward the headstock you can see that the truss rod doesn't line up quite correctly with the space in the body.

thought you'd be the one to ask about the best way to go about correcting it!!

Offline the_high_number

• View Profile
well, it was a good idea
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2009, 08:25:16 AM »
I does look like most of the lower horn may have fallen off of the NX6 from the way it's taped on!!

Offline N4ESA_UK

• View Profile
well, it was a good idea
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2009, 08:37:50 AM »
Yeah I thought I could use the NX6 body as scrap to fill the alder bodies if i need to.  Im sure I'll get at least 1 good guitar out of it!

Im not really an expert on these!  This is the first guitar Ive had a go at building / putting together but If I can help out then I will do.  

Does the neck sit ok with the bridge?  I mean will it play ok with the neck bolted on in the current position?  If its ok then youre better off leaving it where it is and trying to do something with the gap.  Id thought about putting a 3mm strip of ebony between the SEC joint on the top of the body if i got the routing wrong.  

A photo will help alot.

Offline the_high_number

• View Profile
well, it was a good idea
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2009, 09:23:45 AM »
Ok, it's not a good picture, but a puicture none the less, as i don't think i explained it properly!!

i don't think it will be playable without correcting this, as the strings won't be centred on the neck!!

Offline BlueBuddha

• View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/bluebuddha
well, it was a good idea
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2009, 09:27:56 AM »
shim under the SEC side

What do you want to do tomorrow?

Offline N4ESA_UK

• View Profile
well, it was a good idea
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2009, 09:43:05 AM »
you need to get a bridge on it before you alter anything.  Unless you know exactly how far over it needs to go then dont cut/sand anything yet. You could always use a simple hardtail bridge or a peice of wood with holes drilled in it. Just something you can get the strings in at the right bridge spacing so you know where the neck needs to sit in relation to the floyd trem posts.

is the height ok where the SEC wing sits in the body?  does it need to go up or down? If its low then id make a brass plate to go between the neck and the body. Thats what ive had to do where I routed too deep.

When the neck is unbolted, can you rotate around so that it sits more in the right place?  you may be able to alter the neck joint on the treble side of the joint (left hand side in the pic) This area will be less obvious that youve changed something, if the SEC radius sits snug then leave it well alone.

You may need to fill the screw holes in the neck with resin, sand it flat, then put some new screw holes in the right place..if that makes sense?  

After that I think you will need to trim up the body between the upper horn and the SEC wing joint, I think the SEC wing will sit too far forwards into the body.

Offline the_high_number

• View Profile
well, it was a good idea
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2009, 10:33:20 AM »
Think you're definitely right about getting the bridge on first, so will wait till i can afford the gotoh floyd!! =OD

it does sit a little low, so will prolly need a shim, which will match up nicely with how the nut has been installed

don't think the neck will rotate when unbolted, looks like it'll be easiest to take a little bit off the body (no pics to prove that at the moment though)

will have a play tonight if i get the chance!!

Offline N4ESA_UK

• View Profile
well, it was a good idea
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2009, 10:36:14 AM »
thats weird, my N4 necks have got a shelf formed out of the fretboard extending up to towards the headstock.

Wheres your neck from?  was it an N61 neck you got in the end?

Offline the_high_number

• View Profile
well, it was a good idea
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2009, 10:38:46 AM »
It was from ebay, i'm unconvinced as to it's pedigree, it doesn't feel particularly well made in some spots if i'm honest!!

it came with an NX6 body, and a standard nut fitted, took it too machinehead in hitchin to get the nut fitted, and that's how they did it.  brilliant job for $35!!!!

Offline N4ESA_UK

• View Profile
well, it was a good idea
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2009, 08:12:29 AM »
any other ideas for these washy bodies?  so far Im planning on....

- a natural N6 with maple neck / wenge fretboard
- an N4 relic
- a paddy N4
...ALL with 'davies' spec necks [:)]

that leaves an N5/6 body and a paddy n4 body spare.

all suggestions welcome!  I may even paint the other N5/6 body a cool colour as I want a go at spraying eventually.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2009, 08:16:15 AM by N4ESA_UK »

Offline N4ESA_UK

• View Profile
well, it was a good idea
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2009, 02:52:34 AM »
picked these up last night. bitten off more than ive got time for I reckon.  

next stop, make a neck!

Offline the_high_number

• View Profile
well, it was a good idea
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2009, 03:49:16 AM »
what's the condition like??

what have you actually got now you can see it up close??