Username: Password:

Author Topic: well, it was a good idea  (Read 15007 times)

Offline the_high_number

• View Profile
well, it was a good idea
« Reply #30 on: June 25, 2009, 09:30:37 AM »
What kind of stuff do you design/draw/CAD??

Offline N4ESA_UK

• View Profile
well, it was a good idea
« Reply #31 on: June 25, 2009, 10:08:00 AM »
civil engineering infrastructure.  roads, sewers, houses that kinda stuff.  I mainly design new housing estates and commercial units.
if you cant afford it, build it

Offline N4ESA_UK

• View Profile
well, it was a good idea
« Reply #32 on: June 26, 2009, 04:19:35 AM »
Ive ordered some bits to make up one of these paddy's.  A nice gotoh floyd trem, some irongear p/ups and a 3 way toggle. Should be done in a week or so depending on when the parts arrive.

it's looking good at the minute though.

Offline N4ESA_UK

• View Profile
well, it was a good idea
« Reply #33 on: July 06, 2009, 06:19:06 AM »
All the parts are on this paddy now apart from the gotoh bridge.  Im struggling to get the post bushings in but should have it sorted tonight.  Will try to get photos up tomorrow. As soon is its got strings on I'll let you know what these iron gear p/ups are like.....

http://www.irongear.co.uk/irongear_011.htm

Ive also cleaned up the NX6 body and it looks immaculate so will post some photos of that too, but thats going on hold until I get the rest of my garden sorted out.

Offline N4ESA_UK

• View Profile
well, it was a good idea
« Reply #34 on: July 09, 2009, 09:22:42 AM »
A bit more progress!  Ive got the trem posts installed but Im impatiently waiting on a dremel to be delivered so I can drill the 2 holes for the claw in the back cavity.  Ive managed to fook the camera too so no photos for now, but I will post some as soon as I can.

Ive started making a neck too, from 2 hardwood scraps (that used to be my front door) so I can have a test run on the SEC and the scarf joint.  Just ordered some new neck materials too, some ovangkol, wenge and some really really nice padauk to make up some blanks!  

New soldering iron tips should be here tonight so I'll be ready to finish off the wiring straight away.

Offline BlueBuddha

• View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/bluebuddha
well, it was a good idea
« Reply #35 on: July 09, 2009, 09:45:29 AM »
Dremel, best powertool you'll ever buy.

I've got a lithum cordless dremel, use it pretty much every week for various tasks. AWESOME.

First bought it when i was really into Nitro cars, found uses in every hobby!

What do you want to do tomorrow?

Offline N4ESA_UK

• View Profile
well, it was a good idea
« Reply #36 on: July 09, 2009, 10:30:52 AM »
Im planning to use it for detailed routing as well as difficult drilling.  Gone for a corded one though, you can garauntee it would be falt when I needed it otherwise lol.

fingers crosse, by saturday I should have this paddy done, depending on postage time for these tools.

Offline the_high_number

• View Profile
well, it was a good idea
« Reply #37 on: July 09, 2009, 11:01:45 AM »
Are you making the neck for this paddy, or did you have a spare kicking about???

Offline N4ESA_UK

• View Profile
well, it was a good idea
« Reply #38 on: July 10, 2009, 02:34:49 AM »
No Ive only got the 1 paddy neck still, but ive drawn it up in loads of detail and made some templates so its going on this paddy so I can gig with it.  

I wasnt happy with it on the body that I made from scratch.  It was too light coloured against the body wood.  Im just starting to make a practice neck out of scraps now so hopefully I can have the NX6 and my original padauk hardtail idea done next.

The NX6 is getting an ovangkol neck with wenge fretboard, the hardtail paddy is getting a padauk/wenge laminate neck with macassar ebony fretboard.  

1 N6 will have an ovangkol neck, binding on the body and a honey stain finish with black back and sides and the other a birdseye maple neck, completely natural 1pc oiled body. Anodised scratchplates on both.

That leaves 1 paddy body for me to make up and then sell, which should pay for everything ive had to buy apart from the neck.

I can then start on my doubleneck, but its hard work finding time and space for everything.

Im so close to finishing this one and Im half way through prepping the rest of the bodies now.

Offline the_high_number

• View Profile
well, it was a good idea
« Reply #39 on: July 10, 2009, 02:56:14 AM »
you work fast man!!!

i've done nothing more with my N4, just don't seem to have the time, not even to play at the moment.

doesn't help this week that i'm on a course in london!!

Offline N4ESA_UK

• View Profile
well, it was a good idea
« Reply #40 on: July 10, 2009, 03:33:10 AM »
I reckon If I was working on these full time instead of the odd evening, I would be able to finish a guitar in under 2 weeks from scratch.  I know how to do things much quicker now. I promise to post pics as soon as I get a new camera.  My dining room is now more like a factory workshop, I need to clean up tonight or the missus wont be happy!

Offline N4ESA_UK

• View Profile
well, it was a good idea
« Reply #41 on: July 14, 2009, 06:31:48 AM »
some pics as it is now, ive had a few more problems which need sorting but its almost there!  Im planing up my timber for the neck blank this week too.  Im using one of these bodies to make some chunky plywood routing templates rather than using my jig to cut the neck.  Got the ovangkol through the post the other day and finally fetched all the stuff from my mum and dads attic.  TONS of padauk and mahogany, score!!

and also a pic of the 1 pc N6 body.....

and the NX6 body Ive been cleaning up......

« Last Edit: July 14, 2009, 07:26:22 AM by N4ESA_UK »

Offline the_high_number

• View Profile
well, it was a good idea
« Reply #42 on: July 15, 2009, 02:15:39 AM »
Wow!! that Paddy looks amazing!!!
« Last Edit: July 15, 2009, 02:17:06 AM by the_high_number »

Offline N4ESA_UK

• View Profile
well, it was a good idea
« Reply #43 on: July 15, 2009, 09:39:33 AM »
cheers!  Its almost there but Im struggling for free time at the minute.

Offline TheOnlySnake

• View Profile
    • http://www.stevennwalker.co.uk
well, it was a good idea
« Reply #44 on: July 20, 2009, 06:11:08 PM »
Hi N4ESA,
nice collection you got there and I gotta say well done on the build you got goin in the other thread :D
I was wondering (if you aint been asked before and as you say you're short of time) if you'd be interested in selling one of these bodies at all? Hope I don't sound cheeky askin :D
Thanx
Washburn N4 (94)
Washburn N61 (Cream)
Washburn N61 (Black)(Custom pickups and Paduak neck)
PRS copy (customised)
Fender Strat Custom
Lots of handmade guitars