Username: Password:

Author Topic: well, it was a good idea  (Read 15012 times)

Offline N4ESA_UK

• View Profile
well, it was a good idea
« Reply #45 on: July 24, 2009, 08:14:03 AM »
Hi Snake,  Im keeping all of the bodies at the minute dude. You can still pick up the bodies pretty easy on ebay from cream city music (aka warpdrive)  Might be worth emailing them to see if they have any damaged ones that they havent bothered to list. Other than that I reckon youre looking at $100 for a body.  Which isnt that bad considering the retail price of an N4.

Bear in mind that its not that easy to put one together from parts, in the padauk N4 above Ive had to fill and redrill the trem post holes as they were off by about 4mm, seal up some hairline cracks with resin, sand the whole thing back to 80 grit to get all the curves and edges clean and theres a drill bit snapped off inside the body where theyve drilled between the trem cavity and the volume pot cavity for the ground wire!  Ive just left it in there [:)]
  ......  Oh, and you will need a neck which will be like trying to find a needle in a haystack.

if you cant afford it, build it

Offline BlueBuddha

• View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/bluebuddha
well, it was a good idea
« Reply #46 on: July 24, 2009, 08:29:27 AM »
a very expensive needle!

What do you want to do tomorrow?

Offline the_high_number

• View Profile
well, it was a good idea
« Reply #47 on: July 24, 2009, 09:23:20 AM »
Bloody dificult to sew with too!!

Offline N4ESA_UK

• View Profile
well, it was a good idea
« Reply #48 on: July 24, 2009, 10:08:34 AM »
Tonight, Im making back cover plates using poundland baking trays and tin snips.  We'll see how they turn out tommorrow!  gotta be better than the plastic ones though surely.

Im working on a jig for the necks aswell and still trying to get some more tools off ebay so I can prep the wood myself.  Ive got enough timber for 4 necks at the minute(1 mahog, 1 padauk and 2 x ovangkol)  so I want to start asap.  I want a really nice birdseye or flamed maple blank for the last one.

I should be able to get more done as it gets closer to winter, I just seem to be putting fencing up and laying slabs at the weekends [:(]

Offline BlueBuddha

• View Profile
well, it was a good idea
« Reply #49 on: July 24, 2009, 10:24:19 AM »
tin snips? you'll end up with a curve and little dents from every snip. also gonna be too thin. N4 cavity covers are 3mm thick.

Offline TheOnlySnake

• View Profile
    • http://www.stevennwalker.co.uk
well, it was a good idea
« Reply #50 on: July 24, 2009, 08:28:53 PM »
Fair enough dude, I wish I had your collection lol. I have built a few guitars over the years but thanx for the advise, I think I may just try and get my hands on one and use it to make some templates, I dunno yet, so many Washburns and not enough hand to play them (or cash to buy them!)
Washburn N4 (94)
Washburn N61 (Cream)
Washburn N61 (Black)(Custom pickups and Paduak neck)
PRS copy (customised)
Fender Strat Custom
Lots of handmade guitars

Offline N4ESA_UK

• View Profile
well, it was a good idea
« Reply #51 on: July 27, 2009, 07:20:00 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by BlueBuddha

tin snips? you'll end up with a curve and little dents from every snip. also gonna be too thin. N4 cavity covers are 3mm thick.

Yep you were right, no good at all but at least it didnt cost much to try it.   I dont think the cavity covers are quite 3mm thick, maybe 2mm at the most on my swamp Ash but I'll measure the rebate depth on the bodies tonight as thats what counts.

Im thinking of having some padauk cut into 3mm veneer by a local guy so I will either use that or get some proper metal ones made.  

Ive sold the other paddy N4 before Ive even built it lol.  The guy loved mine so much that he wants one exactly the same spec.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2009, 07:21:00 AM by N4ESA_UK »

Offline BlueBuddha

• View Profile
well, it was a good idea
« Reply #52 on: July 27, 2009, 11:15:41 AM »
well, i bought 3mm thick ebony when i made my covers, its what the digital micrometer is telling me :)

Offline Wogie

• View Profile
well, it was a good idea
« Reply #53 on: August 10, 2009, 02:53:32 PM »
Just posted an update on the 'D.I.Y.' effort on the other thread...