Username: Password:

Author Topic: Drop-in replacement tremolo for N4?  (Read 3190 times)

Offline JesperT

• View Profile
Drop-in replacement tremolo for N4?
« on: July 01, 2009, 02:40:34 AM »
I just wanted to ask if anyone can tell me which floyd roses will fit without any modification in a 1994 Washburn N4? It came with the Schaller-made, Washburn-branded floyd rose (which is good, but the previous owner has worn down a lot of the threading for the intonation screws holding the saddles, probably by overtightening).

Floyd Rose Original Tremolo? Schaller Floyd rose and Schaller Floyd Rose II? Or Ibanez Edge Pro?

Cheers

Offline BlueBuddha

• View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/bluebuddha
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2009, 03:30:13 AM »
yes/no.

depends on the intonation required, the low E string screw will most likely hit the body. if the tremolo is block for dive only its not a real issue, but full floating is more of a problem. to be on the safe side you'd need to route some of the body.

a reguar schaller will go in as its identical in size

no idea about the Ibanez trem, can't stand them. (the edge pro in my ibanez will be replaced when funds allow.)

What do you want to do tomorrow?

Offline JesperT

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2009, 12:45:20 PM »
Thanks a lot, Blue!

The Schaller is a lot more expensive around these parts, but I'll wait till I can afford one; don't wanna do routing if I can avoid it.

Offline BlueBuddha

• View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/bluebuddha
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2009, 02:44:40 PM »
its only a very little bit of routing required so it might be worth asking a local luthier to sort it for you as the Original Floyd Rose is cheaper than the Schaller version, which is just mad as far as I can see!

Tak! (pretty much the only danish i know... even although i have lots of family over there!)

What do you want to do tomorrow?

Offline Gilbertfan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2009, 06:25:00 AM »
may bit late here but still got my Washburn Schaller which is in reasonable condition if you wanted it for a replacement.

Offline N4ESA_UK

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2009, 08:37:03 AM »
Im putting in a gotoh locking trem on an N4 tonight, I'll let you know what it sounds like.  It looks like its machined very very well indeed and its resaonably priced.  Although, Im expecting to have to route the body slightly to accomodate the string block screws when the saddles are moved back as far as possible.  Maybe you can buy aftermarket string block screws which are shorter, like the shaller ones?

if you cant afford it, build it