Username: Password:

Author Topic: WI45 - Idolatry  (Read 15914 times)

Offline cedwards

• View Profile
WI45 - Idolatry
« on: July 08, 2009, 09:43:10 AM »
YAY! My trans-red Idol WI45, purchased from FunkyMunky, arrived yesterday.[:D][:D][:D] As I've noted before, there is very little info on this model out there on the web. I promised a review.

First, thanks to Jon at FunkyMunky. Good advice. Good deal. Good dealer. Well done! Of interest to Canucks - FunkyMunky gave me a great price and handled the cross-border shipping well. It cost me a total of CDN$18 in Canadian taxes to bring this guitar across via USPS. No duty assessed though guitar is Indonesian maufacture.

So I'm in the second week of a two-week vacation that I planned to dedicate to some serious garden work and night-time guitar/beer - Nirvana for me. Well, it was serious. Totally blew out my hip in a battle with a major shrubbery on the first day and have been flat on my ass ever since. [:(!] Frustrated, going nuts and in too much pain to sit or stand for more than a few minutes of guitar playing. God has a way of whacking you in the ways that hurt most. No gardening/no guit (well, not much). Making myself totally flat for a couple more days so I can drive daughter to Warped Tour in Montreal on Friday. I hate horizontal![:(]

Well, enough about my life. What about the damned guitar? you ask. Because of my situation, I'm going to give only a preliminary review. A more complete review, with pics, will follow, probably late next week.

I went for the WI45, on sight alone, basically because it fit my budget and FunkyMunky told me that this is essentially the WI66 with Randall pickups instead of SDs. My interest was in the quality and playabilty of the underlying guitar - electronics can be changed if necessary (though I understand metric pot/switch hole measurements of import models may be an issue - drilling[:0] required).

I am not disappointed in any way. First, this is a gorgeous guitar to hold and behold - I'm in love again! The trans-red finish is deep, beautiful and well done. It's the right colour for this guitar. Matchbooking could be better behind the bridge but does not really affect the rich beauty of the guit's overall look. Staining and binding work are quite good - the perloid binding has a rich, yellow ivory colour that complements the trans-red perfectly. I just love the headstock shape and inlay design - very traditional and classy looking.

Big, fat fret wires (haven't measured yet) are well dressed and smooth - designed for playing with a light touch - just what I wanted. Black plastic Feiten nut is well-seated. Grover 18:1 tuners are smooth and accurate, as expected. Strap buttons are better quality than I expected with felt padding next to guitar body - nice! Tune-o-matic bridge and tail components seem to be decent quality parts.

So, my overall inital impression is that this is a surpisingly well-appointed guitar for the price. Washburn did not skimp on the basic hardware - that part is done right.

I also went for this guit because of the set neck. Again, the build quality seems very good and, from the playing time I spent yesterday, it does seem that the mahogany body and set neck give lots of richness and sustain.

I wanted a guitar, at a decent price, in which the basics were well done. Based on what I've seen/felt/heard so far, that's exactly what I got. On the initial look, set-up seems to be good and comfortable. No buzzes or other issues noted as yet.

Before I even plugged this in, I replaced the stock (Vinci?) strings with a set of D'Addario XL .10-.46. Big difference! Played acoustically, she got all throaty and gruff on me - love it! Much more body to the sound. Guitar passed the acoustic playing test very well. Smooth in sound and feel with plenty of harmonic vibe going.

Plugged into Vox AD30VT and started fooling with pickup configurations, amp model settings and the VCC. VCC does take some getting used to and I'm not going to comment in detail until I've had more time to experiment. For now, I will say this - with the Vox tube pre-amp modelling amp, I can get a very wide range of sounds and, I'm pretty sure, will be able to get pretty much anything I want. VCC may not do complete single coil vs. humbucker but, certainly, there is an appreciable approximation of the two different qualities. I'm no expert on this but Randall SL and UL pickups seem to have plenty of output - certainly sufficient to my needs as basement hobbyist with occasional, informal small-room gigs.

I did get some minor noise on a couple of settings when running into headphones through Behringer 1202FX mixer but that could be cables/mixer etc. Really, I have to spend a lot more time with this before I can offer worthwhile comments. I haven't opened up the compartment yet to look at wiring design and quality (not that I necessarily know what to look for). Nonetheless, will report in future on electronics, generally, when I've had a chance to look and experiment further.

BTW, I've mentioned good price a few times and I can assure you this was a very affordable guitar. I do not, however, think it is my place to put a precise number on the deal FunkyMunky gave me out to the world at large - that's his business. I'll just say this - NO other dealer made me a better offer, including shipping etc.

Bottom line: am I happy so far? Oh yeah![:D][:D][:D]

Seize the Fish
Washburn WG2S
Washburn D10SCE
Washburn WI45
Ibanez V300MH
Lyon L115
Univox Electric

« Last Edit: July 08, 2009, 09:49:07 AM by cedwards »
Seize the Fish
WG2S, D10SCE, WI45, JM300S, Lyon L115
'70s Univox LP Copy

Offline Tio Kimo

• you're never too old to be what you might've been
    • View Profile
WI45 - Idolatry
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2009, 11:00:27 AM »
all that time spent reviewing...and no PICTURES????

for shame!

(glad you like it, and sorry 'bout the hip)
http://www.oldtownschool.org/
'95 Washburn D-55SW Cherokee (Bourgeois)
'04 Larrivée LV-03 w/ Fishman blend
'02 Heritage 535
'12 Heritage 150
'10 Larrivée RS-2
'11 Benford Tele
'12 Kirn Barn Buster
Marshall AS50D
Little Lanilei 3350LT
Champlifier
Boogie DC-2

Offline cedwards

• View Profile
WI45 - Idolatry
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2009, 11:17:45 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by Tio Kimo

all that time spent reviewing...and no PICTURES????

for shame!

(glad you like it, and sorry 'bout the hip)

No pics yet because of the hip. Getting that done involves too much moving around for right now. Gotta stay horizontal today and tomorow if I'm going to going to make it through drive to Montreal on Friday. Pics next week.

Chris

Seize the Fish
Washburn WG2S
Washburn D10SCE
Washburn WI45
Ibanez V300MH
Lyon L115
Univox Electric

Seize the Fish
'70s Univox LP Copy

Offline cedwards

• View Profile
WI45 - Idolatry
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2009, 01:18:07 PM »
OK . . . back from Montreal Warped Tour and mobile enough to do some pics. My WI45 got all prettied up for the shoot and here she is. . . wish I could do photos well enough to do her justice. Still need to play around for a while before I'm ready to do a full review.

Seize the Fish
Washburn WG2S
Washburn D10SCE
Washburn WI45
Ibanez V300MH
Lyon L115
'70s Univox LP Copy

Seize the Fish
'70s Univox LP Copy

Offline Tio Kimo

• you're never too old to be what you might've been
    • View Profile
WI45 - Idolatry
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2009, 02:48:02 PM »
Definitely gorgeous to look at. That trans red is beautiful!

I'll be interested to hear what you think of the p'ups. I understand you  own a modeling amp and can shape your sound....but I'm curious what the default is like.

What type of music are you likely to be playing?

Glad to hear you're mobile again.

cheers!

http://www.oldtownschool.org/
'95 Washburn D-55SW Cherokee (Bourgeois)
'04 Larrivée LV-03 w/ Fishman blend
'02 Heritage 535
'12 Heritage 150
'10 Larrivée RS-2
'11 Benford Tele
'12 Kirn Barn Buster
Marshall AS50D
Little Lanilei 3350LT
Champlifier
Boogie DC-2

Offline cedwards

• View Profile
WI45 - Idolatry
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2009, 10:12:25 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Tio Kimo

Definitely gorgeous to look at. That trans red is beautiful!

I'll be interested to hear what you think of the p'ups. I understand you  own a modeling amp and can shape your sound....but I'm curious what the default is like.

What type of music are you likely to be playing?

Glad to hear you're mobile again.

cheers!

Tio, I posted the answers to your questions in a new topic under the Idol Series category. See here:

http://forums.washburn.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=15835

Seize the Fish
Washburn WG2S
Washburn D10SCE
Washburn WI45
Ibanez V300MH
Lyon L115
'70s Univox LP Copy

« Last Edit: July 22, 2009, 10:13:50 PM by cedwards »
Seize the Fish
'70s Univox LP Copy

Offline Pike

• View Profile
WI45 - Idolatry
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2009, 10:47:28 PM »
Wow, she's a beauty Chris! [:p]

Offline Mr. Bradley

• View Profile
WI45 - Idolatry
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2009, 10:12:07 PM »
Oh ho ho man!
That is a very very nice finish.
I'm a more quilted top kinda guy.
But the flamed top sure got my attention.
I've got the black finish version of that one. I'm thinking of switching the pickups
And the VCC sure is fun to mess around with.
Why Hello Mr. Burny!

Offline cedwards

• View Profile
WI45 - Idolatry
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2009, 01:04:10 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Bradley

Oh ho ho man!
That is a very very nice finish.
I'm a more quilted top kinda guy.
But the flamed top sure got my attention.
I've got the black finish version of that one. I'm thinking of switching the pickups
And the VCC sure is fun to mess around with.

Why Hello Mr. Burny!

I'm liking her better and better all the time: she's a treat to play. What kind of pick-ups would you put in and what kind of sound are you trying to achieve? I'd be very interested to know.

Seize the Fish
Washburn WG2S
Washburn D10SCE
Washburn WI45
Ibanez V300MH
Lyon L115
'70s Univox LP Copy

Seize the Fish
'70s Univox LP Copy

Offline oger5150

• View Profile
WI45 - Idolatry
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2009, 07:36:28 PM »
Nice Ax brother. Bought my son the same model in black not to long ago he loves it. Before buying it he swore he would only wanted Les Pauls all has changed now Washburn Idols better quality and price.
Oger
Washburn D10
Washburn Idol 400 pro
Washburn Idol 64
Squier Custom Strat
Peavey HP Signature

Offline cedwards

• View Profile
WI45 - Idolatry
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2009, 11:12:20 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by oger5150

Nice Ax brother. Bought my son the same model in black not to long ago he loves it. Before buying it he swore he would only wanted Les Pauls all has changed now Washburn Idols better quality and price.

Oger
Washburn D10
Washburn Idol 400 pro
Washburn Idol 64
Squier Custom Strat
Peavey HP Signature

Thankee. Just spent a few hours on her working up Chili Peppers' Otherside. See recent thread on Washburn considering making the Idol into a Les Paul shape. I'll take what I've got, thanks.

Seize the Fish
Washburn WG2S
Washburn D10SCE
Washburn WI45
Ibanez V300MH
Lyon L115
'70s Univox LP Copy

Seize the Fish
'70s Univox LP Copy

Offline Mr. Bradley

• View Profile
WI45 - Idolatry
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2009, 09:26:31 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by cedwards

I'm liking her better and better all the time: she's a treat to play. What kind of pick-ups would you put in and what kind of sound are you trying to achieve? I'd be very interested to know.

Seize the Fish
Washburn WG2S
Washburn D10SCE
Washburn WI45
Ibanez V300MH
Lyon L115
'70s Univox LP Copy

Well, at first I wanted to put some EMGs in her, but I wanted more versatility and less of a hassle, as EMGs are active pups.
I'm a guitarist that's barely starting out, and I have a basic knowledge of what kind of sound I want to get out my Idol.
I want to cover a wide range, from Blues, Classic Rock, to some Metal. So I figured I'd get the Seymour Duncan Hot Rodded set, a JB in the Bridge and Jazz in the Neck. I have read good things about it. And so I decided to get it, when I have the money that is.
Why Hello Mr. Burny!

Offline vikingraider1

• View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/thelondondiehards
WI45 - Idolatry
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2009, 03:28:20 AM »
Try bareknuckle Pickups mate. They're a bit pricey but they really are worth it. i've got a Bareknuckle Warpig in the bridge of my USA Custom Shop Idol and it sounds the nuts. The bareknuckle nailbomb or Cold Sweat would suit your idol perfectly. Read the reviews of them, almost everyone agrees they are the holy grail of pickups.

Washburn Custom Shop Idol
Washburn Idol WI-64 ND
Washburn Idol WI-65
Washburn WI66NC Nick Catanese
Peavey USA Wolfgang Standard
Washburn Custom Shop Idol
Washburn NC70
Washburn Boogie Street Billy Club
Washburn WI66NC
Washburn HM series Idol

Offline antant

• View Profile
    • http://antantgear.blogspot.com
WI45 - Idolatry
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2009, 03:54:32 AM »
Hello and my best wishes for Xmas and new year.
Nice guitar cedwards! I was thinking on buying a black one...
I already have a PI70B.

My best wishes

Offline cedwards

• View Profile
WI45 - Idolatry
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2009, 04:47:15 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by antant

Hello and my best wishes for Xmas and new year.
Nice guitar cedwards! I was thinking on buying a black one...
I already have a PI70B.

My best wishes

Antonis, Greece
http://antantgear.blogspot.com

Thanks Antonis. I'd buy it again - good guitar at a good price.

Seize the Fish
Washburn WG2S
Washburn D10SCE
Washburn WI45
Washburn JM300S (Score!)
Ibanez V300MH
Lyon L115
'70s Univox LP Copy

Seize the Fish
'70s Univox LP Copy