Username: Password:

Author Topic: WASHBURN MONTGOMERY J6S  (Read 9580 times)

Offline Louis1942

• View Profile
WASHBURN MONTGOMERY J6S
« on: August 01, 2009, 08:08:30 PM »
I own two pieces of the MONTGOMERY,one of 1996,the other  from 2001.I like them very very much,the real jazz sound on my JazzAmp12 !
But both guitars have not been cared in a good way, so some buzzing and dead spots are on the neck.So I eagerly want to have this same model in in a new, excellent condition.
I know Washburn has since 2007 a new model,which they call their topmodel: the J7N. BUT....this model has NOT the L5 drop at the end of the fretboard, it has not the white f-holes.
So I really wonder: why did they stop making this Montgomery,why is this topguitar not re-issued, and then,to make it a REAL SUBSTITUTE for the L5(!): with an ebony fretboard (and of course:the spruce top and maple back/sides,not ahorn!) It would be a great succes,that's for sure!! Can WASHBURN give me an answer?

Sincerely:LOUIS

Offline wmjonson

• View Profile
WASHBURN MONTGOMERY J6S
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2009, 11:44:05 PM »
Why not just take your guitars to a luthier and have the frets fixed? A fret reseat, leveling and crowning can do wonders for a sick fingerboard. Most techs will inspect your guitar and make recommendations for no charge.

Offline nogin007

• View Profile
WASHBURN MONTGOMERY J6S
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2009, 08:09:17 AM »
I have a J6 (8839) so I think that means 1988-#39 which means they did not sell a lot of them

The last few digits in a serial number tells the number of that guitar for a days production, not a years production.

Offline nogin007

• View Profile
WASHBURN MONTGOMERY J6S
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2009, 08:32:43 AM »
Can't tell a whole lot. I have a '92 J6 that looks just like yours except for the tailpiece. Mines made in Korea, in June of '92. As far as price goes, the reason USA companies keep moving their production from country to country is because they can get it built so cheap, as labor costs are far cheaper in Asia. They don't have to contend with environmental conditions, or worker conditions, as they would in the USA. Case in point, a Squier CV Telecaster, made in China got an Editors Pick Award in this months copy of Guitar Player magazine. It sell for $346.00(American) In reviews I've read, it would compare to a $1200.00(American) Telecaster, that would be built in Mexico.

Offline Gitfiddle

• View Profile
WASHBURN MONTGOMERY J6S
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2009, 04:10:27 PM »
Nogin007 my J6 is also 8839 so it does not (apparently) mean the year (but I bought it in 88) and I am not sure quite WHAT it means.  Do you have the L-5 tailpiece on yours?  I thin NOBODY knows what it means AND I think whever knew quit or retired.   We'll never know.

Offline nogin007

• View Profile
WASHBURN MONTGOMERY J6S
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2009, 08:38:20 PM »
The above post, on 9/13, was a quote from someone that deleted their reply. Note the space in my post. Mine has, I think, a 7 digit serial. Washburn told me that in the longer serials, the first 2 digits referred to the year. The next 2 referred to the month. The tailpiece on mine is a formed wire type.

Offline Gitfiddle

• View Profile
WASHBURN MONTGOMERY J6S
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2009, 01:30:04 AM »
I thought at one point there was yet another 8839 Ibut a different model -- not a J6).  I recently had Seymour Duncans put on mine and it is incredible.  It is a dream guitar.  (so is my Hamer).  http://members.cox.net/ppitt1/J6three.JPG  also https://creamcitymusic.com/images/Product/medium/ae00-21017.jpg
The Newport Custom Pro is very close to a perfect guitar (incredible craftsmanship)... just like my J6 .. unbelievable craftsmanship, 22 years old and looks like the day I bought it.  Plays like a dream.  Sounds like a JAZZ GUITAR by Gollt.  A joy to sit and play... but there are places that do not ALLOW electrics at all... so I have a J100, a D10 and a DM10 .. and they get my job(s) done.