Username: Password:

Author Topic: N4 Neck for sale  (Read 7146 times)

Offline Hodders_N4

• View Profile
N4 Neck for sale
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2009, 08:18:14 AM »
and if i say that im making a Washburn N4 neck, do you think they will know what i need?

Offline N4ESA_UK

• View Profile
N4 Neck for sale
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2009, 09:23:53 AM »
Im not certain they will.  What sort of neck do you plan on making? give me a spec and I'll try to list out the parts you'll need from them.
if you cant afford it, build it

Offline Hodders_N4

• View Profile
N4 Neck for sale
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2009, 10:19:44 AM »
Well ideally i would want a Flamed/Birdseye Maple neck with Ebony board, but might have to plain it down a bit to keep costs low. So i guess the ebony board could be traded for a Rosewood one with a tight grain (or even maple i suppose.

Im really sorry N4ESA_UK, i think i am responsible for turning your 'N4 Neck for sale' topic, into a 'how to build an N4 neck' topic. So my apologies!

Offline N4ESA_UK

• View Profile
N4 Neck for sale
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2009, 11:13:30 AM »
well, a decent birdseye neck blank will be about $30-40? at least 4 1/2 wide remember [;)]  
Id get an ebony fretboard if youre doing it, not AA grade but a std one slotted and radiused will be about $25-30.
You want the large high fretwire, say 1.5m will be about $4-5, 6mm MOP inlays are pence,  460mm biflex trussrod is $15. Id allow at least $100 for the materials.

Although it wont be a major problem, bear in mind that most figured maple looks nice because its been stressed in some way and to get the best figure it's normally slab sawn not quarter, so the strength will be about 25% less than a good straight quarter sawn 1 pc blank.  I think Greg M. has put carbon fibre rods in his flamed maple N4 neck (you can find his neck build on here somewhere)  Or, you could do a 2 pc neck and run the LHS pc one way and the RHS pc the opposite way to give it more strength by opposing the grain.

hope this helps,
sam

Offline Hodders_N4

• View Profile
N4 Neck for sale
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2009, 01:51:08 PM »
A big thanks for the advise Sam, your a real asset to the forums!

Now back to selling your N4 Neck!!

Offline N4ESA_UK

• View Profile
N4 Neck for sale
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2009, 06:04:50 AM »
LOL dont think theres much chance of that at the price theyre asking for it!  Apparently its a new Davies spec 2.0 neck profile without the roll on the SEC....Im tempted to buy it for my N4 padauk and sell the other one at a cheaper price....funds wont allow me at the minute but we'll see  [:)]

Offline the_high_number

• View Profile
N4 Neck for sale
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2009, 06:14:53 AM »
MAybe soemone should jsut make them an offer??  might be that they either sell it cheap or have it sat in a store room for years!!

Offline N4ESA_UK

• View Profile
N4 Neck for sale
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2009, 07:31:26 AM »
I think Im going to have it for myself, ive ordered another backplate and neck screw set which isnt here yet so I may have the whole lot posted out to me when the plate arrives.  I'll prob have enough spare money by then too if it coincides with payday [:)]

I need to sell some stuff too this month, think my strat is going on the bay along with some other bits n bobs.  Its been in its case for over a year now, just dont want to play it.  

Offline the_high_number

• View Profile
N4 Neck for sale
« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2009, 08:04:37 AM »
Don't offer the asking price though, at the end of the day, they need to get rid!!

you've got to haggle!!!

Offline N4ESA_UK

• View Profile
N4 Neck for sale
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2009, 10:32:25 AM »
I rarely pay full price for anything.  If you dont ask, you dont get! even if its only a few quid its better than nothing

when they let me know the plate has arrived, I'll see what they can do

Offline the_high_number

• View Profile
N4 Neck for sale
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2009, 02:41:24 AM »
Good good, i'm not so good at that as i used to be, but it some times really does pay off.