Username: Password:

Author Topic: LEARNING HOW TO PLAY  (Read 12824 times)

Offline sammy_j03

• View Profile
LEARNING HOW TO PLAY
« on: February 02, 2003, 02:43:36 PM »
I am a senior in high school and I am taking guitar class. Everyone keeps telling me that learning how to play guitar on a acoustic guitar is easier than learning how to play on a electric guitar. Is this true? Another question is that I am picking up on the notes very well, but I can't move my fingers very fast. Do you have any suggestions[?] I would appreciate them very much. DIMEBAG RULES[}:)]

Offline FalconMan

• View Profile
    • http://www.groovewizard.net/
LEARNING HOW TO PLAY
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2003, 09:32:28 AM »
Sounds like you've made a good start there... And while playing that acoustic right now may seem like hard work, it's really the best way to build up the stamina and finger strength necessary to move on to bigger and better things when you're ready to get your first electric rig together.

Keep at it... It really does get easier as you go along!

Peace!

The Falcon Man

Offline BillB

• View Profile
LEARNING HOW TO PLAY
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2003, 06:44:18 AM »
Be sure to keep your finger & thumb nails filed down.

bill

quote:
Originally posted by sammy_j03

I am a senior in high school and I am taking guitar class. Everyone keeps telling me that learning how to play guitar on a acoustic guitar is easier than learning how to play on a electric guitar. Is this true? Another question is that I am picking up on the notes very well, but I can't move my fingers very fast. Do you have any suggestions[?] I would appreciate them very much. DIMEBAG RULES[}:)]

Offline Fourstring

• View Profile
    • http://groups.msn.com/TheManyFacetsofPoindexter
LEARNING HOW TO PLAY
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2003, 03:41:59 PM »
Sammy,

By now you should have some dexterity in your fingers.  Repetition is the key to speed.  You have to train your hands to move like that.  Think of your scales as line drills.   Over time you'll begin to breeze thought them and your arpegios, due to playing them over and over again.  Warm up before you unleash those mercury fingers, you don't want carpal tunnel..... a bad word to axe wielders every where.   Stretch before you  run and you'll run fast longer.   Good luck and keep doing those mundane drills.  You'll be there soon enough.

Derek

what do I think about when i play?  Left finger, right finger, left finger, thumb...Doh!

http://www.freetimes.com/index.php?module=FormExpress&func=display_form&form_id=11

GO here to vote for me as Best Bassist in the Cleveland Free Times Music Awards!!!

Offline jasonhobbs

• View Profile
LEARNING HOW TO PLAY
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2003, 02:03:45 PM »
speed will come with time my friend! The first thing you have to practise is finger exercises. They will help you get comfortable with picking patterns. The key to being fast is not in the left hand...but in the picking hand. Try using 3 note per string patterns and use this right hand picking pattern:

down up down down up down down up down....and so on
this is a sweeping pattern i learned from a great guitar player Frank gambale.

it's a great picking pattern that can increase speed in you picking for 3 note per string scale patterns.

Try it chromatically....from low e to high e strings first starting on any note on the top string andwork your way to the high E string.

E  start on G third fret  then G# then A    pattern 123
A  Start on C third fret  then C#  then D      
D  and so on......................
G
B
E

good luck

hollow body madness!!!
hollow body madness!!!
J-6 Montgomery

Offline blurryfingers

• View Profile
LEARNING HOW TO PLAY
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2004, 12:53:30 AM »
I think You should just go electric and get the most expensive coolest one  you can.Why wast time and moneyworkingyour way up to it.I had $2000 in my rig and I could Not play anything. haha
    I  also had a acustic once (I already had the electric) and it sucked lol. But now that i am getting the hang of it I would like to  try acoustic agian. FINGER exercise is the key,unless your a natural.
    I have to do tuns of boring finger work With a metranome,very importent.I just noticed this post is old as dirt.I will not go on. So, your probbably a pro by now haha1234 1234 1234 1234 1234 1234.....[:I]
this stuff is cool

Offline fatfingers

• View Profile
LEARNING HOW TO PLAY
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2004, 09:57:46 PM »
Learning how important this is!

Originally posted by BillB

Be sure to keep your finger & thumb nails filed down.

I have finally captured something I always wanted to do! A friend bought a new guitar, I seized that opportunity and bought his old. Happens to be a Washburn!

Breaking in the tips and learning slow. I bought his old under the conditions he teaches me! So far I have D & G. Learning to switch back and forth.

Forgive me I am unfamiliar with all the lingo thus far!

Loving every minute of it!

« Last Edit: September 09, 2004, 10:11:49 PM by fatfingers »
New Baltimore, Michigan

Offline sockfermy

• View Profile
LEARNING HOW TO PLAY
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2005, 07:48:42 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by sammy_j03

[:)]Hi I've been out of high school for a couple of decades .  The electric g is easier to play because the strings are usally closer to the fret boardand the strings are amplifeid which gives it greater sound. keep playing the acoustic it will make you a more well rounded player. sockfermy

Offline truedat

• View Profile
LEARNING HOW TO PLAY
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2005, 03:00:42 AM »
Here's a left hand finger dexterity practice that enhances the stretch and strenght. It's from the Complete Idiots Guide To Playing The Guitar -book. Have a look:

1. With the thumb in a good position, hammer down your index finger just behind the first fret of the of the sixth (lowest sounding) string.  See how loud a note you can sound with just the left hand.

2. Leaving the index finger where it is, hammer down the middle finger behind the second fret. Be sure to be close to it, or the next frets will be difficult to reach.

3. Still leaving each finger on after it has hammered, play successfully the third and fourth frets.

4. Next do the same thing on the fifth string, then on the fourth, then on the third etc.

Hope that helps [:D]
« Last Edit: February 21, 2005, 03:03:18 AM by truedat »

Offline sam

• View Profile
    • http://www.pantera.com
LEARNING HOW TO PLAY
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2005, 11:16:16 AM »
if you want to learn easier and better take a teacher. and use the hardest strings to play with on an acoustic so when you'll get to electric you'll have no problem and itll be easy.

Offline JohnCVermont

• View Profile
    • http://personalweb.smcvt.edu/jconnors
LEARNING HOW TO PLAY
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2005, 04:08:59 PM »
Some nice tips for us new folks...thanks.  I hope people continue to drop new & interesting hints, tips and tricks.  

Oddly, in addition to the exercises previously mentioned in this thread, some of the best advice I received was to get out of my room and sit with better players.  As hard as it can be on my ego, it always helps me get out unstuck and out of the proverbial ditch.  
« Last Edit: April 08, 2005, 10:47:01 AM by JohnCVermont »
JohnCVermont
Colchester, VT  USA

Offline MZDA

• View Profile
LEARNING HOW TO PLAY
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2005, 12:58:40 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by JohnCVermont

Some nice tips for us new folks...thanks.  I hope people continue to drop new & interesting hints, tips and tricks.  

Oddly, in addition to the exercises previously mentioned in this thread, some of the best advice I received was to get out of my room and sit with better players.  As hard as it can be on my ego, it always helps me get out unstuck and out of the proverbial ditch.  

JohnCVermont
Colchester, VT  USA

That's probably the best thing you can do if you already have some knowledge about playing.. I started lessons 5 years ago with Tom Kopyto.. To this day I'm still intimidated by his abilities..

Along with all of the other tips, nobody can stress how important it is to Stretch and warm up with a few scales and to practice.. Also try to find a teacher with the same tastes in music and influences, you don't want to end up with a teacher with the total opposite opinions as you because you wouldn't have fun in a lesson that way

Offline rkmusic

• View Profile
LEARNING HOW TO PLAY
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2005, 08:07:32 PM »
I think you positivly have to get an electric as its about a million times easier to play. You can build up strenght and all that just by bieng able to play longer, which will pay off more than anything else.
Also..
 Just doodle around and find things on your own, chords, scales anything your brain/fingers stumble onto and use your ear to tell you whats ok.
 Try to play songs you like but don't get hung up trying to play something that doesnt click right away.
 Combine all the little things you can do and start composing your own songs, no matter how good/bad. Ignore other people's judgment on thier value.
  Mostly, just play and play and play. I spent 2 years doing that untill I was good enough to do something. Now I only play about and hour every other day.

I used a customized washburn maverick to record almost everything I have posted at
http://www.soundclick.com/rkmusicsolo

Good luck, don't quit, be happy

Offline roc54

• View Profile
LEARNING HOW TO PLAY
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2006, 12:16:05 AM »
sammy_j03 should be in his 2nd year of college now. Wonder if he stuck with it?
If you don't get what you want...
You get what you deserve.

Offline oldfart

• View Profile
LEARNING HOW TO PLAY
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2006, 01:28:54 PM »
I am in my late 50's I have an acoustical and electric guitars. I had a few lessons. It was learning the chords. Then I lost my teacher and the shop closed. I am thinking abt starting up again. What should I look for in a teacher. Should look at Music Shops or try finding just a teacher.
My musical tastes go from hard rock to outlaw country.
I listen to Metallica, Pantera, Stevie Ray, Vaughan & David Allen Coe.
I just love music and Guitars.
Any good suggestions