Username: Password:

Author Topic: Another D 46 SCE!  (Read 8873 times)

Offline BobinNJ

• View Profile
Another D 46 SCE!
« on: August 16, 2009, 03:25:24 PM »
I picked up a second D46 SCE in Phila. today which is basicly identical to my first one, so I won't bore you with pictures.
This one is about ten years old and has been played more which can be decerned by pick marks below the sound hole. It is also the quilted ash sides and back, but my first buy has better quilting than this one. I bought this one cheaper than the first one, and thios one has a hard shell TKL case. All in all though, this one is is still in excellent cond., so I will probably sell this one soon.
Maybe tomorrow I'll take side by side pictures and post them, and if i decide to sell, I'll give you folks a heads up.

Bob

Offline Monk_

• View Profile
Another D 46 SCE!
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2009, 05:42:38 PM »
Great score!  I'm curious to know how a 12-string version will age, how much attention the truss rod will need.  My old Seagull M12 was practically a different instrument by the time I gave it up only three years later.  

But regarding your 6-string model, side-by-side, how is the string height at the 12th fret on your newer model vs. the new 10 yr. old?

Offline BobinNJ

• View Profile
Another D 46 SCE!
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2009, 08:46:00 PM »
Here are pictures of both D46SCE's side by side. The latest acquisition is a 1999 mfg. and is on the left, and the other one is a 2003 mfg. which is on the right. You can see the differences in the quilted ash on the back and side of the two models, as well as the different electronics used, and even some difference in the Hopi Indians symbols around the sound hole.

Bob
http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/Uf4HyThDmlgXlLqHw52DFw?authkey=Gv1sRgCKbL5JPAmMzuVA&feat=directlink
http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/o4ul3WtnmZR_CxqSpx7JLw?authkey=Gv1sRgCKbL5JPAmMzuVA&feat=directlink
http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/bPQILkgqfQaQbT-jaMag3Q?authkey=Gv1sRgCKbL5JPAmMzuVA&feat=directlink
http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/O0Q8yBm9Sk3B5ynfkdHCtQ?authkey=Gv1sRgCKbL5JPAmMzuVA&feat=directlink

Offline WB-Nick

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.washburn.com
Another D 46 SCE!
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2009, 09:29:41 AM »
the one on the left doesn't look like Ash to me.  What is the serial number?  Rudy says that in the 90's, the D46 had Rio Grande Rosewood back and sides.  That one may be a keeper.  Sounds like you got a great deal.

Offline evenkeel

• View Profile
Another D 46 SCE!
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2009, 06:52:54 PM »
Gotta agree with Nick.  The sides and back on the one on the left do NOT look like ash.  Very much looks like rosewood.  I would think there would be a pretty big tonal difference.

Offline Hurricane Ramon

• View Profile
Another D 46 SCE!
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2009, 11:23:57 PM »
The one on the left is a Rosewood ! I have one like it , and yep the is s tonal difference . I love mine :)

Hurricane Ramon
Hurricane Ramon

It started for me with Twinkle Twinkle Little Star in 54 on a Blues Harp and progressed , then life .....some death ....Evolving as I went like a small rock in a stream rounding out as I went with the flow as I go through the white waters and waterfalls of life . Life has always been interesting to me

Offline BobinNJ

• View Profile
Another D 46 SCE!
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2009, 07:51:25 PM »
Hi Fellows,
Sorry I couldn't get back to you sooner.
The serial number of the left (older guitar) is SC99105737.
And you're saying that it may be a Rosewood back and not the quilted ash? Are there catalog's available for that year that may list the specs. for this guitar?
Thanks to all for the information. Based on the short time that I've had each of these guitars, and my not so good playing abilities, I can only say that I am impressed with the sound of both of them.
The serial number of the newer guitar is 0304231075, and based on the almost new condition for a 2003 guitar, I suspect that it spent most of it's life in the case. Therefore, the 1999 was bought from a musician who giged it fairly often in Phila. so it has probably seen it's share of smokey bars, etc., but has been played enough to have opened up and seasoned up. So i'm guessing that it would have different tonal characteristics just on that basis alone.

You have given me something to think about in terms of selling one of them, but now I've got to choose. I'm gonna wait a bit before I cross that bridge.

Bob

Offline BobinNJ

• View Profile
Another D 46 SCE!
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2009, 07:59:52 PM »
Monk_,

You asked about string heights on these two guitars at the twelth fret.  The 2003 model was 3/16 of an inch from the fingerboard to the bottom of the strings.
The 1999 model was just ever so slightly less, but i'm talking about just a smidge, hardly discernable.

Bob

Offline BobinNJ

• View Profile
Another D 46 SCE!
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2009, 08:27:11 PM »
BTW Hurricane Ramon,
Welcome to the forum!
How'd you come by your's and how about posting a picture?

Bob

Offline BobinNJ

• View Profile
Another D 46 SCE!
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2009, 08:32:03 PM »
Nick,
You mentioned RioGrande rosewood. Do you know what that is, originwise?

Bob

Offline WB-Nick

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.washburn.com
Another D 46 SCE!
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2009, 03:38:10 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by BobinNJ

Nick,
You mentioned RioGrande rosewood. Do you know what that is, originwise?

Bob

South America

Offline Hurricane Ramon

• View Profile
Another D 46 SCE!
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2010, 07:48:34 PM »
Hello Bob in NJ :

So sorry I have taken so long to respond :

I had forgotten I was a member of this forum and just rediscovered it !

It was in 2001 April and I was on the trail of a guitar , the  one  that would make my world right !

Started out from home and checked every pawnshop and music store here in the Coachella Valley ( Coachella Fest anyone ? ) got to San Barnardino and nope - up further north towards southern L . A . area and then south again all day long , none pleased me or was out of my $ range till Riverside - -

Was walking away from the last and final try that day I thought tomorrow it was going to be Carvin's turn . There across the street near where I had parked was a music store I had missed , so as I walk in , the owner is closing up and gives  the look  of are you gonna buy something ?

I look at him and say :  I have a wad and I'm itching to spend it if I find the  right guitar  .

Off to the  room  with Gibsons - Martins - Guilds - Gulls - Takamines and Washburns .

I played all the Gulls , Gibsons and Martins and well as the Takamines and when I picked up the mahogany version of the D46SCE it was a mind blower as it was as good as any of the more expensive ones I just tried .

Then I picked up the rosewood and my wife said as soon as she heard it :

Get it !  

It was out of my $600.00 wad's range @ $899.00 and I said to the owner I would really like the rose wood but ....

....... he said  would you take the rose demo for the price of a new mahogany ?

saying he had a no more rosewood D46SCEs .

I said kick in the case and it's a done deal ! Walked out the door paying $579.00

Since I have had it I have made a bone bridge and added a JLD bridge DR and - - well - - many an offer has been made for it heh heh heh .

At 9 years old it's fantastic , I want a back up just like it , another rosewood !

Hurricane Ramon
Hurricane Ramon

It started for me with Twinkle Twinkle Little Star in 54 on a Blues Harp and progressed , then life .....some death ....Evolving as I went like a small rock in a stream rounding out as I went with the flow as I go through the white waters and waterfalls of life . Life has always been interesting to me

Offline BobinNJ

• View Profile
Another D 46 SCE!
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2010, 09:49:51 PM »
Hi Ramon,
The story of your quest was very interesting. There's nothing better than finding what your looking for and discovering that it's all you had hoped for and maybe a little more.
I think that in the near future, I'll put one of mine on the market, but I'm leaning on keeping the rosewood one.

Thanks for your post.

Bob